View Single Post
Old 9-Apr-2012, 7:58 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgj31 View Post
Food for thought. I greatly appreciate the suggestions, and while I like the added reliability of the DB4e setup, I'm wondering if it would provide noticeably better reception than the "Simpler" HD7698P would give. It seems to be a little more expensive than the HD7698P setup.

Good to know about the grounds and also that the pre-amp doesn't require power to the rooftop. With weather systems causing high winds and rain quite often during certain times of year, would an eave mount's reception succumb to the weather? Also, with the DB4e + YA1713 system, would I be able to mount those on one eve mount or have to do 2? I am a new guy to all of this so the simpler the better ;0)

I will have to check in with Dish Network later if we ever decide to go that route.

Unfortunately, I'm still not sure which channels I'd be missing with an attic mount. Is it a significant signal loss?
Compared to attic mounting, Eve, chimney, tower or tripod mounting that puts the antenna in a position that's not blocked by the roof, buildings or trees will have anywhere from a few dB to greater than 20 dB better signal to work with.

I live in Seattle. I have line of sight to many of the stations and I also have some antennas in my attic. When the roof is wet, signal quality is lower from those antennas. When it rains, I can count on some dropouts of signals in the yellow section of my TVFR. The outdoor mounted antenna has little if any reduction of signal quality during the same weather. In your case I doubt you would see KING, KOMO or KIRO with an antenna in the attic. If there's some wet snow on the roof, the situation is even worse.

The HD7698P should give you reliable reception of the signals from Queen Anne Hill and Capitol Hill in Seattle(azimuth 340° to 344° mag.). However, I think you would find it difficult to find an aim point that would provide reliable reception of both Tacoma/Gold Mountain signals (azimuth 308° mag.) to the NW and the Tiger Mountain signals (azimuth 12° mag.) to the NE.

The more expensive two antenna system can easily mount on a single eave bracket that's holding a 10' mast section. The advantage of the two antenna system is that the DB4e UHF antenna has a broader beam-width that would let you find an aim point that covers Tiger Mt., Capitol Hill and Queen Anne Hill. The VHF antenna would be free to aim more to the northwest which is were you find real channels 9, 11 & 13.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote