View Single Post
Old 29-Apr-2010, 4:28 AM   #8
rlrobinhood

Hi guys,

I'm back again and want to thank you again for your assistance on this. After reading through all your responses, I have some points/questions to discuss with you further....
1) OK, the existing preamplifier is just the box on the mast, so I will eliminate it from my system. There is no power source. It also looks very old.
2) What is a balun? I guess I thought is simply converted the old flat tv antenna wire (300 ohm) to the newer coaxial cable (75 ohm). By your comments, I am assuming that it does more than this?
3) I re-ran the TVFOOL REPORT with a 50' mast and it did not significantly change any of the data. Only a few stations had changed and by only .1
4) I'm going to go ahead and order the Channel Master Titan 7777 preamplifier that Tigerbangs suggested. How do I make the connection between my existing antenna and the preamplifier? I'm assuming it will be a balun, but not the kind that I have on there now? Tigerbangs, can you give me a link to what I need? Where should I put the "inside the house" part of this ampifier? Are there any distance restrictions from the "outside the house" portion?
5) My current antenna is only about 24" long. The antenna Tigerbangs suggested looks like it is 93" long. This is huge! Not that it bothers me, I just need to find another place to put it. With the preamplifier discussed in #4, is there any coaxial cable length restriction that I need to pay attention to? Reason I ask is I have an old windmill tower a little ways behind my house, not too far, but it is real tall and might be a good place. Any thoguhts?
6) Lasly, Tigerbangs mentioned that there is a FOX station in the hills to the north. I think you accidentally put the wrong info down. Channel 42 is actually a NBC channel. I think the nearest FOX channel is Channel 45 which is 71 miles to the south (see attached TVFOOL REPORT). Would the antenna that Tigerbangs reccomended still work?

Thanks again guys and sorry for such a long thread. You guys are great!

Chandra
rlrobinhood is offline   Reply With Quote