View Single Post
Old 3-Apr-2010, 6:59 PM   #34
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
A coupler really doesn't have 3.5 dB loss: usially they have insertion loss of less than 1 dB, but my concern about using a CA 7870 has to do with the filtering of it's inputs: I am concerned that, if you use it, you will attenuate the UHF signals coming from the antenna that will be aimed at Cleveland. I am also concerned about joining two antennas using a splitter-combiner because of the potential to suck-out some channel, but I would start by using the splitter first, rather than the CA 7870. As for your coax connectors, if you are only an eighth of an inch off, chances are good that you'll be fine.

I usually won't use quad-shield cable for TV reception because it has slightly higher signal loss than conventional dual and tri-shield RG-6u, but there is certainly nothing wrong with it, other than the fact that it is hard to work with, and conventional crimpers often won't work with it.

I think that you are overly concerned about amplification: you only need enough amplification to cover your insertion, line and splitting losses; anything more than that is superfluous. In this case, more is certainly NOT better, and too much amplification can have other consequences that are less than desirable Do NOT try to use the amplifier from the MANT 940 in the system: you don't NEED it, and it will do more HARM than good.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote