TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Help With Reception in Huntington, NY (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=15640)

kokadjo 4-Jul-2015 3:45 PM

Help With Reception in Huntington, NY

Hello. I am looking to receive my local channels over the air in an effort to save on cable costs. My signal analysis is here....

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03d735c478e2

My research led me to purchase and install a Weingard HD7698P Platinum HD Series Antenna. It is installed on the highest peak of my roof which puts it approximately 40ft above ground level. Currently I have no preamplifier and it connects directly to my upstairs tv as I gauge reception before running lines/splitters/etc. I receive all broadcast stations except CBS and NBC. I believe these stations to be transmitting from the Empire State Building along with ABC, FOX, etc. My antenna is pointed at 265 degrees (based on my iphone compass app).

My two main questions are why would I be able to receive other UHF stations from the same broadcast site with similar power, but not NBC and CBS. My other question is, should I have purchased an antenna that receives VHF-Low as they seem to broadcast on that frequency as well.

Other potentially pertinent information is that I just do a simple channel scan on my Sharp TV to find stations. I cannot figure out how to manually search for a station. Also, my area is quite hilly and wooded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

kokadjo 4-Jul-2015 7:32 PM

Just to update my previous post, I pointed the antenna more to the south (maybe 240 degrees +/-) and was able to pick up NBC. Signal strength is fairly constant around 40 (based on my television menu screen). The signal strength on some of the others stations dropped a little bit but they still seem acceptable. Still not getting CBS at all. My tv analysis says that channel 33 is prone to co-channel interference. Is there a way to correct this or does anyone know of a way to also receive a NY CBS feed? Thanks again.

rabbit73 5-Jul-2015 8:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the forum, kokadjo:

Quote:

My research led me to purchase and install a Weingard HD7698P Platinum HD Series Antenna. It is installed on the highest peak of my roof which puts it approximately 40ft above ground level.
That sounds like the right thing to do. I see a lot of trees in your area; I hope there aren't any in the signal path. See attachment 1.
Quote:

Currently I have no preamplifier and it connects directly to my upstairs tv as I gauge reception before running lines/splitters/etc.
Now that you have tried it without, it's time to try it with a preamp. I don't see any very strong local FM signals to cause interference, but you should try an FM filter. Some preamps have one built in. See attachment 2.
Quote:

My antenna is pointed at 265 degrees (based on my iphone compass app).
They are known to have poor accuracy; use a real compass for 265 degrees magnetic.
Quote:

My two main questions are why would I be able to receive other UHF stations from the same broadcast site with similar power, but not NBC and CBS.
My guess would be the difficult terrain between ESB and your location. If you look at the coverage map, you will see you are in a signal dead zone, attachment 3.
Quote:

My other question is, should I have purchased an antenna that receives VHF-Low as they seem to broadcast on that frequency as well.
No, the antenna needed is determined by the real channel number, not the virtual channel number.
VHF-Low, real channels 2-6
VHF-High, real channels 7-13
UHF, real channels 14-51
Quote:

Other potentially pertinent information is that I just do a simple channel scan on my Sharp TV to find stations. I cannot figure out how to manually search for a station.
Every TV is different; I'm not familiar with that brand. My Sony allows me to add a channel after scan.
Some Samsungs can accept an added channel by entering the virtual channel number 2.1 or the real RF channel number 33; try it.
Quote:

Also, my area is quite hilly and wooded.
Yeah, I expected that; both are serious barriers.
Quote:

My tv analysis says that channel 33 is prone to co-channel interference.
You are correct; it's from WFSB-DT, which is 18.8 dB weaker and in another direction. I don't see it as a serious threat.
Quote:

does anyone know of a way to also receive a NY CBS feed?
Have a friend in NYC stream it to you over the internet with a slingbox.

kokadjo 6-Jul-2015 11:44 PM

Thank you Rabbit73 for your detailed response. I used a magnetic compass and pointed the antenna to 265 degrees. I scanned again for channels at night and was able to get CBS, but with very week signal. I've started looking into preamplifiers and think I will try ChannelMaster 7777. I've seen some things written that suggest preamplifiers will only make up the difference lost on long cable runs and splitters. Since my problem seems to stem from weak signal without long runs and splitters, am I expecting too much from a preamplifier? Also, if you think a different preamplifier is better suited for my situation, please let me know. Thanks again.

Billiam 7-Jul-2015 12:03 AM

Yes, the trees are probably the problem. I've run into this issue numerous times with various homes and apartments. As long as you can rotate the antenna, you should be able to find a good spot to overcome no signal or a weak signal due to the trees.