TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wash DC...newbie help (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2728)

airbornedentist 23-Nov-2011 9:47 PM

Wash DC...newbie help

OK...I have read through the posts and am thoroughly confused...my zip is 22031. I am using the antenna indoors...outdoors is not an option...on the ground floor. I cannot pick up any VHF channels..only UHF. The antennas are 12 miles from my house...I had a clearstream 1...got UHF..no VHF....tried a clearstream 2, and now have hooked up a clearstream 4...still no go. Do these only get UHF?

What am I doing wrong? Specifically trying to get CBS and ABC. Also..shouldn't my signal be stronger (less breakup/pixelation) on the UHF channels? Does cloudiness affect this?

Thank you!

Eric

Here is a link to my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec124a977525ed

another format:

http://www.antennapoint.com/antennas...&commit=Search

No static at all 24-Nov-2011 12:05 AM

Not sure if this will help, but we used this antenna in a friends back yard near you (Vienna Metro/Blake Lane) & it does do a decent job with the DC channels. I will say that we tried it inside & channels 7 & 9 didn't do all that well. The antenna is mounted to a wood fence about 6 feet off the ground using the supplied J-mount.

airbornedentist 24-Nov-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No static at all (Post 13911)
Not sure if this will help, but we used this antenna in a friends back yard near you (Vienna Metro/Blake Lane) & it does do a decent job with the DC channels. I will say that we tried it inside & channels 7 & 9 didn't do all that well. The antenna is mounted to a wood fence about 6 feet off the ground using the supplied J-mount.

those are the main channels I was concerned with...I think the regular Clearstream antennas are only UHF...so those won't come in no matter what...I couldn't even get a blurry pic with my antennas..just nothing..

ordered a Clearstream 2 complete...talked to the people on the phone..said I wouldn't have any problems...free shipping and 90 day return...something you may want to check:

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...VHF-Combo.html

Thanks!

Eric

GroundUrMast 24-Nov-2011 3:21 AM

Quote:

I had a clearstream 1...got UHF..no VHF....tried a clearstream 2, and now have hooked up a clearstream 4...still no go. Do these only get UHF?
That's correct, those are all UHF antennas.

There is a new offering by Antennas Direct, the C2v which adds a VHF element. The price is significantly higher than a basic set of rabbit ears such as the RCA ANT-111. I would expect about the same VHF performance from the two. However, I'm not throwing the C2v all the way 'under the bus', it's UHF performance will be better than the rabbit ears and it is an outdoor design.

Still, if there is a way you could mount the ANT-751 and aim (point) it toward the ENE, you'll get better VHF performance than either the C2v or ANT-111.

ghz24 24-Nov-2011 3:21 AM

looks like a biquad variant to me

I'm not an expert on consumer antennas but I don't think the clearstreams have much vhf gain if any. This site (which at least uses data derived from modeling and allows downloading the models used) charts the clearstreams on the uhf only chart. And antennas direct site states
Quote:

"Optimized for the post 2009 UHFdigital frequencies. Designed for reception on core UHF DTV (ch 14-51)"
Since you can't go to an outdoor model I'd see if regular rabbit ears type antenna will pull in your vhf or if your into diy at all you could try this pretty simple folded dipole cut to about 63.3 inches(and you might be able to sneak it out a window and hide or obscure it). If you try rabbit ears optimum ones would fold down to horizontal and telescope out to the ~63 inch total width of channel 7's half wavelength.(some indoor antennas combine rabbit ears for vhf and a loop for uhf) Also if you aren't already, try to put whatever antenna you are trying in an east facing window. Foil backed insulation can block and reflect radio waves and cause multi-path problems (less breakup/pixelation).

groundurmast beat me by seconds
rabbit ears like the ant-111 are ~2.2 dBi
the c2v claims
Quote:

Gain: 3.1 dBi at 216 MHz – VHF, 10.4 dBi at 670 MHz – UHF
So I wouldn't think it worth the extra price and space for less than 1 dB difference (but you might)
I'd try one like the RCA groundurmast mentioned first and see if you need more,

MisterMe 25-Nov-2011 1:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghz24 (Post 13917)
the c2v claims

So I wouldn't think it worth the extra price and space for less than 1 dB difference (but you might)
I'd try one like the RCA groundurmast mentioned first and see if you need more,

There are no perfect antennas. Also, antennas with similar specifications vary in price. Whether or not the ClearStream C2v is worth it is a value judgment, not a technical one. I recently purchased and installed one. It works as advertised. For my specific situation, it was a good choice and worth the money. There may be many other potential buyers for whom their money would be better spent for a different antenna. The fact that there may be better choices for others does not mitigate the fact that the C2v was the best choice for me.

John Candle 26-Nov-2011 1:14 AM

Watching

Teleview and I are watching and reading , ghz24. I am building a case just like you did on Nor7Cal7. Go on ahead and print the truth about tv reception and see what happens to you , what the others do to you. Or you can print opinions about tv reception that do not mean any thing , it's safer that way.

ghz24 26-Nov-2011 6:51 PM

Watch away

Hi MisterMe,
I thought the "but you might" pretty well defined that as subjective and an opinion. (the manufacturer posting the gain as 3.1 at 213 Mhz is not subjective nor an opinion)
And think that the c2v may well be the optimum antenna for you and lots of people it has lots of qualities like large beamwidth and at least it's not aimed at channel 69. The manufacturer does publish some actual useful data about their product. (always a plus)
BTW you did notice that he can't have an outdoor antenna right.
so size and hide ability may be high on airborndentists list of wants (we don't know) But the c2v is marketed as an outdoor antenna and it's almost 3 feet wide. And was only mentioned at all to point out that the clearstream 1, 2, and 4 don't have VHF
In short I wasn't inferring anything about you or other owners of this antenna.
If you'd like to discuss if less than a decibel is worth an order of magnitude increase in price then I think that subjective opinion is pretty easily defended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Candle (Post 14022)
Teleview and I are watching and reading , ghz24. I am building a case just like you did on Nor7Cal7. Go on ahead and print the truth and see what happens to you. Or you can print opinions that do not mean any thing , it's safer that way.

I only quoted you so you can't delete the post I'm replying to. Again. but I'll reply back on the Nor7Cal7 Thread so I only have to apologize to him for hijacking his thread.

Dave Loudin 26-Nov-2011 10:10 PM

There is one other feature of AD antennas - a lifetime guarantee on workmanship.