TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Followup: Tricities - OTA reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=15400)

tbradnc 20-Mar-2015 11:47 AM

Followup: Tricities - OTA reception

Last week I posted a question about the best antenna for where I live in the Tri-Cities, TN area.

Fast forwards and I have an antenna installed now, with rotor, and am able to pick up all networks in HD and 8 other random channels.

The issue I'm having is with our big TV in the living room. It loses the signal momentarily on FOX and from time to time on ABC - not for long - maybe 1-2 seconds then will pick it up again and play for another 20 minutes or so before it happens again. I have tweaked the direction via the rotor and cannot find a sweet spot where this never happens.

This does not happen with the TV in our bedroom. It never loses signal. It also scans for new channels much faster and overall seems more suited to OTA configurations.

My question is this: Is there a difference in TV makes when it comes to OTA reception? (seems so).

If so, what TV manufacturer makes a 43"-50" set with "the best" tuner?

Thank you.

Greenish Apple 20-Mar-2015 2:32 PM

Swap TVs?

Have you swapped one of the TVs to the other room?

If you move the TV from the bedroom to the living room and the issue exists then it could be the cable or the splitter.

If it doesn't, buy a bigger version of the bedroom TV.

What Splitter are you using? Are you using RG6 cable? Are the connections tight at the living room TV? (heating up and cooling down?)

1) Check the connections from the splitter to the living room TV. If it is still an issue...
2) Move the bedroom TV to living room to test connection.

More testing. ;)

David

ADTech 20-Mar-2015 2:33 PM

Quote:

Is there a difference in TV makes when it comes to OTA reception? (seems so).
Yes, this is commonly noted. All tuners are not created equal. Some vendors slap whatever is cheapest in their sets because they're required to by law to have the digital tuner in TV sets. I haven't found a TV manufacturer yet who is serious enough about the performance of their OTA tuners to brag about them since most know that around 90% of their customers will hook up to cable or satellite via one of the other inputs and that antenna usage will, at best, be an afterthought for those folks.

Quote:

If so, what TV manufacturer makes a 43"-50" set with "the best" tuner?
Impossible to say. Some really dirt-cheap brands have been found to have very decent tuners, some models of upper tier brands have been found to have poor to mediocre tuners.

Very generally, I've had good results with the tuners in Sony, Sharp, LG, Samsung, and Visio sets.

As always, YMMV.

BigDaveyL 20-Mar-2015 5:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADTech (Post 50212)
Yes, this is commonly noted. All tuners are not created equal. Some vendors slap whatever is cheapest in their sets because they're required to by law to have the digital tuner in TV sets. I haven't found a TV manufacturer yet who is serious enough about the performance of their OTA tuners to brag about them since most know that around 90% of their customers will hook up to cable or satellite via one of the other inputs and that antenna usage will, at best, be an afterthought for those folks.

Impossible to say. Some really dirt-cheap brands have been found to have very decent tuners, some models of upper tier brands have been found to have poor to mediocre tuners.

Very generally, I've had good results with the tuners in Sony, Sharp, LG, Samsung, and Visio sets.

As always, YMMV.

A stupid question.... Are the Zenith/Insignia set top box any good for reception? I know it's SD only....

tbradnc 20-Mar-2015 9:19 PM

We have a JVC (LT-42PM30) in the living room.

I was able to turn the coax a full turn before it was snug - maybe it was something as simple as that. So far, so good.