TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Revisit old thread (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13691)

jakkwb 28-Sep-2013 9:04 PM

Revisit old thread

I am revisiting this old thread I posted quite a while ago. I unhooked the antenna and took it down for a while (Netflix). Well, today I thought I would try it again. I put it back in the same spot, with an amp this time, and now I am not getting any channels to speak of, except 8-1,2 and 19-1thru4. Very frustrating....

I really want to get this working again. That monster was a beast to get mounted!

The power supply for the amp is pretty warm to the touch, if that means anything....

Here is the old thread starter:

Ok, here is my info:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3e4738e0716755

I picked up a Channel master 3671 for pretty cheap over the weekend. I would like to be able to pick up the stations to the SE of me, in the Memphis area.

I can get the antenna at about 40ft or so to start with. I do have a large magnolia tree right in the path less than 30 ft away from where the antenna is to be mounted. Do I need to select a better location where this tree is not in the way?

Any suggestions? Do I need an amp? Also, I plan to attach 3 tvs, and a computer. What do I need to do that with?

Sorry, I don't know much about this...

jakkwb 28-Sep-2013 9:50 PM

My preamp does appear to be working. When I check signal strength on any of the 19-1,2,3,4 channels, it is around 83 to 84dbi. When I unplug the power to the amp, it drops down to 78 or 79.

ADTech 29-Sep-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakkwb (Post 38592)
My preamp does appear to be working. When I check signal strength on any of the 19-1,2,3,4 channels, it is around 83 to 84dbi. When I unplug the power to the amp, it drops down to 78 or 79.

That test doesn't prove whether the amplifier is working or not.

You really need to identify the amp in question. Most of the "popular" ones will overload due to your strong local signals.

I don't know who told you that reliable reception from Memphis was to be expected, but look out for "shoot-from-the hip" cowboys who think they know more than they actually do. At reception distances of 85-90 mikes you have to execute perfectly and avoid all mistakes. The most common mistakes are poor equipment selection, poor site selection (putting it behind trees,for example), and wiring/cabling/installation errors.

jakkwb 29-Sep-2013 12:46 AM

Actually i was told in my previous post by user johncandle that it would work, and it did pull in most of the memphis channels, although signal was a little sporadic on some channels. He suggested i get a amp, which i didnt do at the time....i will get the model later tonite....

jakkwb 30-Sep-2013 3:32 AM

Here is my old post: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1983

I had a lot of things going at the time of this post, and did not get the amp until much later....

Amp is Antennas Direct CPA-19.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thank you so much

GroundUrMast 30-Sep-2013 5:43 AM

With no preamplifier I would expect you should be able to receive KTEJ, KAIT, KVTJ, and if it's on the air, KJNE-LP (analog). This assumes you are aiming in the direction of Memphis and have a modest length of cable to only one TV.

Reception of other signals would be possible, but I would not try to give you the impression that they would be reliable.

Adding a good preamplifier like the CPA-19 would allow you to overcome the losses in coax and splitters. No amplifier 'pulls' signal from the air and no amplifier makes an antenna pull more signal from the air.

It's good to know you got a good deal on the CM-3671. Only a very large antenna such as the CM-3671 would give you a chance at seeing the signal from WMC.

If I was in the same situation, you would no doubt see some big antennas above my roof, perhaps even on a tower. Still, Memphis is far enough away that I couldn't reasonably expect reliable reception, the variations in atmospheric conditions over that distance would help at times... And at other times make any reception impossible.

ADTech 30-Sep-2013 12:46 PM

Okay, based on the complete information provided, the CPA19 is defective and will need replacement. Our currently available pre-amp, the PA18, is not appropriate for your situation. As the CPA19 does have a lifetime warranty, I'd suggest waiting several months until our new model becomes available and then call in for a warranty swap.

In the meantime, try the inexpensive RCA pre-amp. It's cheap (under 25) and is likely to do a good enough job.

Do not expect reliable reception from Memphis, it's simply too far away for predictability.

jakkwb 30-Sep-2013 6:20 PM

Ok, I just removed the Preamp and tested again.

I am now getting the same channels (8-1,2...19-1,2,3,4), now I am also getting 48. These are all fairly close to me. 48 is coming in at around 83% signal strength.

I do not understand this. When I first set this antenna up in 2011, I picked up several Memphis stations (basically all of them under 100 miles). Now I am not getting any!

ADTech 30-Sep-2013 7:29 PM

What's not to understand?

1) You have a defective pre-amp. Replace it. A properly functioning, properly selected pre-amp is mandatory for reception out of Memphis.

2) If you still have issues after replacing the amp as recommended and there is a tree right in the line of sight, fix that problem by either moving the antenna elsewhere or remove/trim the tree.

jakkwb 30-Sep-2013 7:48 PM

ADTech, I was getting the stations within 100 miles without the preamp...and now I am not. There are no trees in the way. I have it set and aimed in the exact same spot as before.

GroundUrMast 30-Sep-2013 10:37 PM

I agree with ADTech, reliable reception (if it's possible) from Memphis will require a preamplifier that adds very little noise to the signal. The CPA-19 would be my choice if it was available. The RCA product is also a good amplifier provided you don't get one with defective switches (that select between configuration options).

That you got some reception from Memphis, for a time and then lost it is not surprising... Anything beyond 60 miles in flat terrain is going to be challenging at times.