TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Reception for NYC OTA Area -WNJB/WLIW (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1879)

Wally9mm 9-Jul-2011 8:50 PM

Reception for NYC OTA Area -WNJB/WLIW

I am located in Queens County NY, one of the five boroughs of NYC and have no problems getting the major local signals.

I am specifically trying to lock in/improve a WNJB signal, whose transmitter I think is located in New Brunswick NJ and WLIW transmitter located in Plainview LI. Currently, the reception is either non-existent or spotty at best.

According to the TVSAR, I aimed my antenna(s) to WNJB’s transmitter (39.6 miles) at magnetic bearing 270 using a calibrated digital compass. Although WLIW (16.8 miles) is approximately 180 degrees out of phase at 95 degrees magnetic and only 16.8 miles from my location, I was unable to pick up any WLIW signal.

However, I have had limited success in getting a WNJB signal for all the HDTVs in my home. I am looking at using Radioshack Bi-directional Cable TV Amplifier (15-2505/15-2506) or RS In-line TV Antenna Signal Amplifier (1500369) for TV (No. 2).

Reception for WNJB: No reception at TV (No 2).
Very limited reception at TV (No. 3 and TV No. 4)
Very good reception at TV (No. 1)

Rooftop Reception Equipment:

Antennacraft HD850: Connected to TV (No. 3) and HDD/DVD Recorder using signal splitter. Approximate RG-59 cable length from antenna 125 feet. Separately connected to TV (No. 1) using 75 feet RG-59.

RadioShack® U-75R UHF Antenna: connected directly to HD850 lead-in terminals.

Radioshack VU 90: Connected to TV (No. 4) using 65 feet RG-6 and to TV (No. 2) 200 feet RG-59. Each connected at antenna lead-in terminals using separate cable.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03d9c78d1fd99f

John Candle 10-Jul-2011 7:29 AM

Tv Antennas and Reception

As always with these jumbled up situations it's time to go to the basics. A UHF/VHF antenna needs to be aimed in the direction of 270 true - 281 degree magnetic compass. With a known to be good matching transformer connected to the Tv antenna , connect a known to be good RG-6 coax from the antenna direct to one Tv. No splitters , No amplifiers , No amplifier power supplies , No nothing other then a , Antenna a matching transformer and a coax cable direct to the one Tv. Do not use RG59 coax. Use known to be good RG-6 coax. Now how far down the list of stations call signs/channels can be received?? Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695. The Tv must scan for the broadcast Tv channels , not the cable Tv channels.

John Candle 10-Jul-2011 7:48 AM

Tv Antennas and Reception

Is this a old house that has been wired with RG-59?? Has the house been wired in the daisy chain method of wiring. The daisy chain method of wiring is , the coax starts at a place and the coax goes to a location , from that first location another coax goes to second location and from that second location another coax goes to a third location and from that third location , another coax goes to a forth location and so forth.

GroundUrMast 10-Jul-2011 8:07 AM

JC is on track with his questions / test suggestions. It sounds like antennas may be interconnected in ways that allow for undesirable interactions... It will be helpful to know each antennas individual performance.

WNJB, real channel 8 is adjacent to WABC, real channel 7 which is about 1000 times (30 dB) more powerful at your location. Adjacent channel interference from just 10° off the same azimuth is going to be very challenging to overcome with such a power differential.

WLIW should be 'do-able'... with a moderate gain UHF aimed at it (95° mag.).

If the amps are returnable, go ahead try them... I expect they will make matters worse though, due to noise and inter-modulation distortion produced inside the amplifier circuitry. Your TVFR does not indicate a need for an amplifier... It indicates against one due to the multitude of powerful signals which certainly includes many FM stations.

Wally9mm 10-Jul-2011 7:28 PM

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, other than one splitter going to DVD recorder and TV3, I used individual separate cables going to each TV. I can get a WNJB signal out of the splitter at DVD/TV3 and TV4, but it drops out at times.

Although RG-6 is superior to RG-59, WNJB comes in pretty solid all the time for TV1 using RG-59. I am assuming that this is because of the low cable run of 75 feet.

I wanted to try using an amplifier to get a signal to TV2. RS has two; a 2 piece In-line TV Antenna Signal Amplifier and a Bi-directional Cable TV Amplifier.

“A UHF/VHF antenna needs to be aimed in the direction of 270 true - 281 degree magnetic compass.”

BTW according to the radar map WNJB is 257 true and 270 magnetic”.