TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   trying to get an antenna setup in atlanta (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14187)

K-Rock 9-Feb-2014 2:02 AM

trying to get an antenna setup in atlanta

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9467dc5889d4

Trying to come up with a good setup for a new OTA. The main locals at the top, real 8 and to a small degree 22 are what I want to receive and I guess ION if it does not start to pose a problem. Being that everything is green I have been trying to hit some thrift shops to try and find some cheap 2 dollar rabbit ears just to see if thats all I would need. In the report I listed it at 15 feet as I have read people using two fencing poles driven into the ground to mount on and thought about that. I do not have attic space and am not wanting it on my roof as I would be doing it and don't really want it visible though am not completely opposed to it as it would cut a $70 cable bill with noting but digital starter from comcast. I have a tree forest to deal with in the back (read blocking all the channels I want), and a large magnolia in the front blocking channel 22. Attached is a picture showing the general direction of the main cluster of transmitters, channel 8 is roughly behind me taking the pic, and to the right is the magnolia tree.

EDIT: Just to add a little clarification, I had planned on putting the pole in the back as I said to keep some what hidden as I know it has to come over the roof to pick up other channels. I thought about the opposite end of house from the picture but then realized the magnolia tree is in the way. Maybe the other end or on the carport as its not used for car anyway and any screw up on install wont affect the inside of the house if height is needed.

StephanieS 9-Feb-2014 8:26 PM

Hi K-Rock,

I am confused. You don't have room in your attic and don't want to install an antenna on your roof, but you aren't opposed to it?

Normally, for best chances of reception is an outdoor mounted antenna.

Please clarify what mounting situation you would prefer, then I can make some headway.

Be prepared with an outdoor antenna, ION may not be doable. You have a mix of very strong to trending weak terrain obstructed signals. Normally for signals like ION's we suggest stronger gain antennas. However, with the strong signals from magnetic 215, a higher gain system isn't an option. If you installed that higher gain system, the very strong signals could overload your TV tuner. In essence, making it "blind" and losing reception either partially or completely. This happens when it is getting too much signal.

My recommended system would be limited to your extremely strong signals at magnetic 215. You don't want a strong, high gain antenna. I would focus on your locals and trying for RF 8 with an Antennacraft HBU11. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...ntenna-(hbu11). Orientate to about magnetic 160- 180. Play in that range to see what you receive.

Further, this antenna is small so it can be rather non-obstrusive. The HBU11K option (also sold by solid signal) includes a J-pole for mounting. I would mount it on your roof with the best path to magnetic 160 to 180.

The upshot of this writing though is that a high gain system for ION is probably a non starter due to very strong signals at magnetic 215. RF 8 you have a chance at. RF 22 is way off axis of everything else and may or may not be received. Luckily is has a decent signal so it may be received.

You'll just have to get something in the air, see what you get. But, realistically ION is off the table. The best chance of your non-magnetic 215 signals is going to be RF 8.

Best of luck.

teleview 9-Feb-2014 11:07 PM

+=>
----
My evaluation of your reception situation is the Tv signal strengths of the strong signal strength Tv stations ,

Are Not so strong as to over load a Tv tuner.

--------

Your reception situation has many strong signal strength Tv stations and 2 Tv stations that are the odd ones out.

WGTV-DT , Real VHF high band channel 8 , PBS.

And.

WPXA-DT , Real UHF channel 51 , ION.

----------

WGTV-DT channel 8 , is strong signal strength , however has 2 Edge path obstructions and is off in it's own direction.

WPXA-DT channel 51 , is Weak signal strength , and has 2 Edge path obstructions.

-----------------

I recommend Test reception with a , Antennacraft.net , HBU22 antenna aimed at about 328 degree magnetic compass direction.

Test reception with No antenna system amplifier.

Connect a New Continues length of coax to the HBU22 antenna and run the New Continues length of coax throught a open door or window direct to 1 Tv , No splitters , No amplifiers , No couplers , No etc. .

-----------

WGTV-DT channel 8 is a strong signal and should be received.

And the Tv stations in the other directions are strong signal strengths and should be received.

Directional antennas such as and not limited to the HBU22 antenna , receive the best at the front of the antenna , a little less at front angles to the antenna , and less at back angles to the antenna and less at back of the antenna.

And the least amount of signal directly on the sides of the antenna.

------------

Install the HBU22 antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

----------

The Tv stations of other directions will be received at angles to the HBU22 antenna.

-------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html
Use the , ronard(4712-50-10) , 10 foot tripod antenna mount.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com , or , www.amazon.com .

K-Rock 10-Feb-2014 2:52 AM

Sorry for the late night confusing post. Just think of me as one of those eww I don't want that on my roof kinda people. I have been reading threw the forum for several days so kinda knew (or at least thought) I would have to have it seen. So I have prepared myself for that. I have seen few in disrepair here and there wires just hanging down and trying to avoid a roof install to make upkeep easier and avoid falling threw also. I was planing on staking in the back yard getting it up high to see over the roof. My main concern started being how high to get it because of the trees. Especially in the next month or so when they start growing there leaves again, as I read somewhere on here that they tend to block UHF. I had the feeling as you said the cluster of locals should be strong enough (Even threw the tress?) so I was looking for something cheap to see my luck before purchasing something good (for the inside if it worked). I'm not concerned with over powering the receiver as it will be split to four devices and have a drop amp and 8way amp spliters should it be needed.

So thank you for replying even though there were a lot discrepancies in my original post. As I said I have been reading threw for a while to try and keep from sounding like so many of the other people that come to a forum asking the same question over and over like clock work. Other then the run on, hope this was a little less confusing.

K-Rock 23-Apr-2014 11:10 PM

Going to hopefully purchase some stuff this weekend so I got a little question. Everyone keeps mentioning putting up a test setup to test things out before permanently attaching everything. How is this supposed to be accomplished if for say I wanted to put a 3 foot tripod on the carport. If that spot does not work and need to move it to the right back some or what ever, how is that supposed to be done if I have to drill the feet into the back board? Also, I was not really able to tell looking at the pictures, but do the feet rotate at all? I am not putting it on the house roof, but the carport that has a very slight slope causing it to be not level. Could I get some extra pads and put under the foot? Whats the the most it can be off?

Also about grounding. What gauge wire should I run to the setup (also does it attach to the tripod or the mast and how)? It is about ?20-30? foot run to the point of entry to the crawl were the phone is also located that I can bond too. It is a 10 gauge run about 15 feet or so to the main ground that runs to an old cold water pipe then continues to the other end of the house to the power meter and singe rod. As we get a good amount of thunder storms I thought about driven a rod at the end of the port and bonding it all together. Would that be to much overkill?

GroundUrMast 24-Apr-2014 1:12 AM

Here's an example of a tripod like mount that works well on slopped roof decks. http://www.3starinc.com/5_foot_tripo...oof_mount.html Most traditional tripods are intended for mounting at the roof peak only.

As far as testing reception before making any holes... a wood or fiberglass step ladder can be used to support the actual mast, or a temporary one. You also simply hold a 5' or 10' mast with and antenna clamped to it.

I use a grounding clamp (from the electrical dept. of the big box store) to connect the #10 AWG copper mast grounding wire to the mast. I use a corrosion resistant clamp, usually bronze, rated for outdoor exposure. If you have access to the electrical service ground rod, I would suggest you use a new clamp to connect the mast ground and the coax ground... Avoid disturbing the existing connection(s) to the ground rod if possible. Alternately, you can use a split-bolt type connector to clamp onto the electrical service grounding conductor, close to the ground rod. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901 (post #20 is a summary)

teleview 24-Apr-2014 1:28 AM

+=>

Home Depot has Copper Alloy wire that is made for the purpose of grounding.

Home Depot has All manner of fasteners and clamps that are made for the purpose of grounding.

For testing of reception.

A antenna can be placed on top of a chimney.

Or a pipe or wood pole can be lashed to a chimney.

Or a plastic or wood chair can be placed on the roof and the antenna laid on the chair.