TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Help With Reception (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Newbie On site (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1104)

lymer 26-Dec-2010 12:55 PM

Newbie On site

Really new at this stuff and not the best tech guy. I want to try and check out in a basic way what I can pick up with the least amount of work and least amount of money spent. Of coarse it would be nice if I decide to take this a step further that Icould incorporate some of my spending into the newer, better set up down the road.

First step trying something indoor oreven an attic antenna. Which I have no knowledge of what so ever.

Can't seem to link my reception info, but I live in Ajax. Postal code L1T 3L4. Corner of Westney and just southeast of Rossland

Tigerbangs 26-Dec-2010 5:07 PM

Here is your TVFool.com report, based on your Postal Code:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da32d2f2f678ad

It appears that the GTA transmitters are only about 40 KM from your location, and should be easy to get using a decent all-channel antenna. There are some digital stations currently operating from Toronto, and more that will come after August 31, 2011.

Most people from GTA can also see the Buffalo, NY stations if they use a proper antenna mounted on their roof. In your case, it would appear that the Buffalo stations will require a deep-fringe antenna, a rotator, and a high-input preamplifier. Please remember that ALL the US stations that you can receive are now digital, and will require either a digital-ready TV tuner or an outboard converter.

I can make specific recommendations if you like, but I believe that you should decide how far you'd like to pursue TV reception, then we can better advise you.

John Candle 27-Dec-2010 6:59 AM

Tv Antennas and Reception

You can give one of these indoor antennas a try , the next step will be an antenna on the Roof. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 , Read and understand this about Real and Virtual Digital Tv Channels http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 , Tv antenna pointing http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . Here is inflammation about Canada Digital tv transition http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/105462 , http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/home-accueil.htm Analog tv transmitters are changing to Digital in Canada Now.

lymer 28-Dec-2010 11:14 PM

Currently I have a straight analogue signal from my cable carrier. I purchased a New TV and some of the channels are coming in with some snow/interference. The same ones always.

Rogers cable 3, 4, 5, and 6. I believe that is it. Was wondering why these stations are being affected and not any of the others.

Is there an amplifier that can be put into the cable line that would help clean up the analogue signal and make the station all come in with a crisper look?

My cable was installed in my house possibly 15 or more years ago. So I was thinking that maybe the cable installed by Rogers at the time is old and just not as good with some of the newer sets. Any thoughts on this theory?

Thanks

John Candle 29-Dec-2010 2:52 AM

Many of the broadcast tv channels/stations that are received with a Tv Antenna are transmitting DIGITAL NOW. . DO NOT connect the cable Tv service and the television antenna together at the same time using the same cables , It is one or the other. I will not be telling you how to fix your cable service. . If you are seeing snow on the tv screen then you are watching analog Tv. Digital Broadcast Tv stations do not have snow. . You must have a Tv that will receive Broadcast Digital Television or a older analog Tv that has a digital to analog converter box. . I am being To The Point with my wording and information. . Do not change the wording and information in such a way that it leads to dead ends and prevents any thing from happening. . How many Tv's will be connected ?

lymer 29-Dec-2010 9:21 AM

Two Tv's will be connected.

Alright the TV is a brand new HDTV so the poor reception is the result of the analog service. Plain and simple thats fine I just wanted to make sure that something simple could not have been done to clear up the reception. I understand that I will not be connecting the cable and the antenna with the same cable. Does this mean I can use one of the other inputs to run the antenna separately then. Say the HDMI,A/v composite, PC VGA, or any other inputs I could pay attention to in the future when I purchase a TV.

John Candle 30-Dec-2010 8:05 AM

If you choose to install a roof top antenna then I suggest a Winegard HD7697P with a Winegard HDP 269 preamp. Aim the antenna at about 195 magnetic compass. If you choose to keep the cable tv service , then you will be installing separate coax from the antenna to the Tv's. and you will have A/B antenna switch at the Tv's to switch from cable tv to the Tv antenna. This all the information I will provide , I am helping people now for many years and I have the feeling you are not really with it.

lymer 30-Dec-2010 9:58 AM

Thanks John for the help. I will jot down those component numbers and start considering its use over the winter as a spring/summer plan. Sorry if you have felt I have been wasting your time. It has all been about research.

As I mentioned I am very green at many of the technologies surrounding the newer TV sets, OTA signals and just plain general options available to TV viewers and buyers. So I can't argue with you when you state,

"you are not really with it."

On the other hand, if you mean by this statement that I don't really subscribe to the concept of OTA reception then this is false. I may not exactly understand how Digtal/High Defintion signals can be picked up for free over the air, but I believe it to be a very, very interesting option available to TV viewers.

So if my questions regarding cable use have offended you, I apologise. I was only trying to see if I could combine a cheap cable basic analog package with OTA reception, in some way, to make up for the signals I may not be able to recieve with antenna use alone. Perhaps this is a stupid concept as I imagine the goal of OTA reception is to eliminate the need for cable all together.

But as I stated right from the start. I am very green on this subject which is to say I have absolutely no knowledge of the proper way to tackle OTA reception. No knowledge of the advantages and disadvantage it would provide and no knowledge of what signals I would and would not get anymore. Therefore I was just seeking options available to myself in a technological world that has certainly passed me by.

Again if this has frustrated you then rest assured it won't happen again.

Tigerbangs 1-Jan-2011 5:05 AM

I believe that you'll find that many older cable installations often have trouble with getting a clear signal on the low-band VHF channels (channels 2-6). This is a cable TV issue, and should be remedied by your cable TV company, as it is usually the result of deteriorating cable TV equipment, and is not your fault.

You are close enough to the GTA transmitters that you should receive a perfect picture on all of the GTA transmitters with a properly installed antenna. The situation is a bit different in Canada than is it in the US, where the US' conversion to digital broadcasting is complete, and Canada will not complete it's conversion until August 31, 2011, so Toronto still has a couple of analog-only stations, however most of the over-the-air stations in GTA operate a digital transmitter in addition to an analog transmitter.

While it is true that an attic mounted antenna may suffice for the GTA transmitters, it is much less likely that you will see the Buffalo stations using an attic mounting. As an alternative to using a rotator, you might want to consider using a roof-mounted 2- antenna system, consisting of a deep fringe UHF antenna aimed at the Buffalo transmitters, and a much smaller all-channel antenna aimed at the GTA transmitters.

Run separate coax cables from each antenna to a central location in your attic or basement, then use 2-2 way splitters to split the signal from each antenna into two cables, then run one of each cable to both TV locations in your house.

Use a simple A/B switch at each TV set to select between the GTA antenna and the Buffalo antenna. This will avoid having a rotator freeze up on you in the winter months, and will provide you with consistant year-round reception. I would use a Winegard HD-7694P aimed at the CN tower, and use an AntennasDirect XG-91 aimed at Buffalo.

Such an installations should future-proof your installation, and provide you many years of viewing for minimal investment. Good Luck.

lymer 1-Jan-2011 11:37 AM

Thank You Tigerbang

The concept is starting to sink in as I made myself a home made Digital/Hd antenna in accordance with an internet blueprint and picked up 15 channels off the hop. (7 of them with very good reception and the others snowy)

I didn't try and place the antenna anywhere specific and was just using it as an experiment. So I am satisfied that with a greater effort (investment) I could achieve my goals for OTA use.

I am going to continue researching OTA viewing and the components you have mentioned and begin the process of installation this upcoming warm weather season. I agree that my location should provide some decent reception as I am farily close to Lake O and reasonable high geographically.

Thanks again