TV Fool

TV Fool (http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php)
-   Special Topics (http://forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Televes Boss Tech DAT-790 LR HD (http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=15035)

pawoodbutcher 6-Nov-2014 8:43 PM

Televes Boss Tech DAT-790 LR HD
 
Has anyone ever herd of this critter? It's apparently new because its preorder only.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

It looks very good, to me. Specs are a little hard to come by.
Televes' website.....

http://www.televes.com/en/catalogo/p...aje-individual

I live in a deep fringe area and was thinking of swapping out the 8200, since I don't need VHF anyhow.

[If admin wants to move this to "antennas".. Go ahead.]

Stereocraig 7-Nov-2014 6:01 AM

A few different places, are selling similar antennas. For less money.

http://www.parts-express.com/antop-u...tenna--210-514

32db of gain, tells me that it has a built in amp, which I would avoid.

The 8200 is a good antenna.
If you truly need to get rid of it and are happy w/ Winegard, then consider the 7698p.

pawoodbutcher 7-Nov-2014 2:17 PM

I was really looking at the AD 91XG. Im sure you are all very familiar with it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=853748001910

I just happend to come across the other one, and it looked like it might be decent.

Why do you not like the built in amps? Cuz they fail, and then your antenna is no good?

Stereocraig 7-Nov-2014 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawoodbutcher (Post 47668)
I was really looking at the AD 91XG. Im sure you are all very familiar with it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=853748001910

I just happened to come across the other one, and it looked like it might be decent.

Why do you not like the built in amps? Cuz they fail, and then your antenna is no good?

One of my antennas is a 91XG and I'm very happy w/ it.


For the same reasons I use separate audio components. Because of the reason you stated about failure and because you really don't know anything about the amp.

32db, sounds like they're adding the antenna gain and the amp gain together.

Unless you post your TVFR, we don't know if a UHF only like the 91XG would even be adequate.
I receive some VHF w/ mine, but I wasn't planning on them, when I started out. YMMV.

pawoodbutcher 7-Nov-2014 3:36 PM

Many thanks. I kinda thought the 32db was too good to be true. The 91xp's 16.8db seems like the best in the business, especially for UHF only.

ADTech 7-Nov-2014 4:51 PM

The ones at Parts Express are cheap Chinese knock-offs of some of the other Televes designs. They are not Televes antennas.

Peak gain on the 91XG is up in what is now the cellular bands although channel 51 gain is around 17.4 dBi(http://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_f...s/91XG-TDS.pdf).

The DB8e also has a peak gain of around 17.4 dBi on channel 51 but offers much improved gain at the lower end of the UHF band. (https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...s/DB8E-TDS.pdf
)

The Televes Boss Tech series uses an automatic gain control feature in the amp to vary gain depending on the strength of the signals at its input. It's been around three or four years, but they've been tough to find in North America (Televes is located in Spain) since they hadn't focused on the US market until recently. I've yet to see one.

ka1000 30-Jun-2017 4:22 AM

Now ADTech, Your company will have to adjust their antennas to 600 mgh. the new uhf band takes affect in 2020.

ADTech 30-Jun-2017 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka1000 (Post 58299)
Now ADTech, Your company will have to adjust their antennas to 600 mgh. the new uhf band takes affect in 2020.


You're three years premature. Check back in three years.

FWIW, we have a number of competitors who are still selling only antennas that were designed for the 1983 channel band, they never bothered updating for the 2009 channels as we did.

bobsgarage 26-Mar-2020 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADTech (Post 58301)
You're three years premature. Check back in three years.

FWIW, we have a number of competitors who are still selling only antennas that were designed for the 1983 channel band, they never bothered updating for the 2009 channels as we did.

Hey ADTech!!!

Well, time flies when you're having a good time! Here it is,"3 years later" :)

SO did they?

Did your marketing or engineering consider matching the antenna frequencies to the new 2020 Repack frequencies?


bobsgarage 26-Mar-2020 9:22 PM

Televes DT790. Dropped by Solid Signal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawoodbutcher (Post 47637)
Has anyone ever herd of this critter? It's apparently new because its preorder only.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

It looks very good, to me. Specs are a little hard to come by.
Televes' website.....

http://www.televes.com/en/catalogo/p...aje-individual

I live in a deep fringe area and was thinking of swapping out the 8200, since I don't need VHF anyhow.

[If admin wants to move this to "antennas".. Go ahead.]

Well, 3 years later, It's been discontinued. At least the sale of it by Solid Signal.

I wonder why?

A couple of issues, I imagine:

Confusing part #'s Seems like everything is a "790"
Complicated to put together. The SS video was telling...
Big and heavy by Stuarts assessment.
Not price competitive for a relatively unknown antenna., (seems that they have adjusted the pricing though)
A lot don't like the built in pre-amp. It was suspicious anyhow since it was autogain.

I chatted with Solid Signal, this one is backordered:
Televes DATBOSS LR Long-Range Amplified UHF TV Antenna LTE Filter
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=149783

The recommended replacement is the:
$103.00
Televes DATBOSS Mix LR UHF VHF Long Range Outdoor TV Antenna
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=149883

This one was discontinued:
Televes DAT790 LR Mix UHF VHF Long Range Antenna
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=149881



ADTech 27-Mar-2020 6:04 PM

Hey, Bob!


Last I heard, the potential benefit possible would never justify the development and re-tooling costs. It's been a while, though, and I'm no longer in that loop.

tripelo 27-Mar-2020 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsgarage (Post 62749)
Hey ADTech!!!
Did your marketing or engineering consider matching the antenna frequencies to the new 2020 Repack frequencies?

Thanks bobsgarage, for asking the question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADTech (Post 62755)
... Last I heard, the potential benefit possible would never justify the development and re-tooling costs...

Thanks ADTech, for your response.

Probably not what most of us would like to hear.

But, it is good to know.

.

ADTech 28-Mar-2020 12:33 PM

Do not overlook the caveat I included, to whit:
Quote:

It's been a while, though, and I'm no longer in that loop.

bobsgarage 28-Mar-2020 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADTech (Post 62758)
Do not overlook the caveat I included, to whit:

ADTech ! It's good to hear from you!

I know, that was kind of the feelings (no need to redesign antennas) before about antenna redesign for the repack. I just feel like there's opportunity there.

Nobody's even marketing antennas for the repack like they did with the digital transition and color TV. Seems strange in this day of marketing running the show instead of quality running the show.

It just seems odd to me.


rickbb 1-Jun-2020 6:06 PM

As I have discovered, the repack in process is moving several stations back into VHF territory. Before the repack started I only had 1 station in my area in VHF, now I have 3, and the repack continues.

I see a new combo antenna design being needed soon. IMHO.

bobsgarage 17-Jun-2020 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickbb (Post 62908)
As I have discovered, the repack in process is moving several stations back into VHF territory. Before the repack started I only had 1 station in my area in VHF, now I have 3, and the repack continues.

I see a new combo antenna design being needed soon. IMHO.

I agree with you 100%. There will need to be a new redesign. I believe that the antennas will have a slightly different look to them now with the larger elements for the UHF also.

And a lot of these large antenna companies are just looking at it from the standpoint of if it works why change it? Myself I think with people cutting the cord at a rapid Pace right now because of this pandemic financial stress, there will be a market for free TV and you might as well have a modern configured antenna.

That's my feelings and a lot of others too.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC