TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jan-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Mason

Help with San Francisco antenna choice

Hi all,

We are on the 12th top floor of condo complex in Lower Nob Hill .. we have line of site to Sutro tower.

Here is a link to our location analysis. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c84f7b3d345712

I would like advice on best indoor antenna to get local stations, especially PBS, in HD if possible. We have a new smart Samsung 6100 TV and are about to cut our cord with DirectTV who wants a two year contract just to upgrade us to HD. As it is a fussy condo building, don't think we can use a roof antenna even though we have cable running into our apartment from the dish on the roof.

Thanks for any help.

Lynn
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2013, 2:24 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The Terk HDTVi (not HDTVa) is the first thought that pops to mind.

Your report indicates many strong signals so you'll want to avoid any sort of amplified antenna.

Indoor reception can be challenging if the signal has to travel through walls or other obstructions. The best location for any antenna is one which provides a clear line of sight to the transmitting antenna.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2013, 6:47 AM   #3
Mason

Thanks .. and can you please tell me which additional cables I should get as it's not clear what comes with this antenna. Is it coax out and do I need something that is coax to HDMI? I'm quite new to all this ..
Old 6-Jan-2013, 6:58 AM   #4
teleview

The Digital Tv transmissions are Very Strong Signal Strength at your location.

DO NOT use any type or kind of amplifier or antenna that has a amplifier , the amplifier Will Overload because of the strong Tv signals and be the cause of bad reception or no reception of some Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

Strong signals mean strong reflected signals bouncing around (multipath) in the condo units.

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners Do Not like a overload of reflected Tv signals bouncing all around.

Use the Terk HDTVi no amplifier antenna , not the HDTVa amplified antenna.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.

As you can see , looking at the tvfool radar plot map the most groups of Tv stations are to the , south west , south , south east.

For the best reception put the HDTVi antenna in/at a window or balcony door window that faces the South East direction or south west or south.

The South East Direction is the in between direction and will receive the most Digital Tv stations/channels.

Aim the HDTVi antenna at about 160 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The building construction for the best reception with a indoor antenna is , wood with wood or vinyl siding.

The following is a - Non complete list - of building construction that Will Reflect , Reduce , Block , Digital Broadcast Tv Reception.

Concrete , concrete blocks , concrete tile roof , bricks , metal siding , metal roof , metal doors , metal beams , metal backed insulation , stucko Wire , solar panels , other buildings , and etc.

It is best to locate the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

If the Tv and HDTVi antenna are far apart , then use a Looooong coax to connect the Tv and HDTVi antenna.

As always , The Tv Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Digital Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antennas to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv setup menu and select , 'Air Channels' / 'Antenna Channels'.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.
Old 6-Jan-2013, 3:11 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Thanks .. and can you please tell me which additional cables I should get as it's not clear what comes with this antenna. Is it coax out and do I need something that is coax to HDMI? I'm quite new to all this ..
The HDTVi will have a cable, long enough to set the antenna on or near the TV.

If the TV was built after March of 2007, it should have an over-the-air capable digital tuner. In that case simply connect to the 'ANT' or 'ANTENNA' connector on the TV.

As teleview already mentioned, you'll need to set the TV tuner to use 'Air' or 'Antenna' mode, not 'cable'. Then run a new channel scan.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2013, 9:56 PM   #6
Mason

Thanks all .. have ordered the antenna and we will play around with it when it arrives on Tuesday. Our TV location is closest to windows facing W-SW. Sutro tower is SW from us, so we will see which stations transmit from there. SE is not really a possibility. I'll be back with more questions, I'm sure !!

Lynn
Old 9-Jan-2013, 2:28 AM   #7
Mason

Fantastic advice !! Antenna hooked up and we have many many stations .. quite a few HD and great picture, better than with Direct TV for sure. (Of course that was SD and the whole reason we left them was they would not give us an HD box without new two year contract.)

So now I need to upgrade my small office tv to a flat screen HDTV with about 22" screen and antenna in connection. Is there another name for the antenna coax input? Does anyone know of a smaller HDTV that is antenna-ready? Not sure how to find the best one that is enabled for the Terk HDTVi antenna, which I am very very pleased with. Thanks in advance for your help.

Lynn
Old 9-Jan-2013, 3:33 AM   #8
teleview

All digital Tv's have Digital Broadcast Tv tuners since the year 2007.

All Tv's have a antenna connection.

I recommend a new Tv.

An LED Tv from , Sony , Samsung , LG , Panasonic.

Digital Broadcast Tv received with a antenna is , Free and Free and Free.

And the internet streaming services are Low cost.

http://www.roku.com.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570.

And there is even FTA = Free To Air Satellite Tv.

http://www.ftalist.com.

The Pay Satellite and Pay Cable companies are happy when they got you and others by the Wallet. They will do what they can to squeese the last penny out of you.

Last edited by teleview; 9-Jan-2013 at 3:01 PM.
Old 9-Jan-2013, 9:51 AM   #9
Stereocraig

Sony Bravia.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote