TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Oct-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
tomcannondesign

Help needed choosing antenna, amp, and splitter

Report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49fe2a8a73e7

I am cancelling my cable this month and I will install an antenna in the attic. I have run RG6 coax from a distribution center in the basement (where there is a coax splitter that sends coax to rooms) to the attic to connect to an antenna in the near future.

The attic has insulation on the floor, not roof, so wood and roof shingles are the only thing blocking a signal. The report indicates most important channels can be picked up with an indoor antenna that would not need to be mounted in the attic. Would an attic antenna be overkill?

Although most channels come from the same direction (NW) there are a few, like the CW, that come from other directions. I assume I want an antenna that picks up all directions?

Would I need an amp since it will travel 50 ft to the distribution center on the basement and back up to some rooms upstairs?

Is there a coax splitter you recommend to send the signal to different rooms?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Tom

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49fe2a8a73e7
tomcannondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
teleview

Indoor and attics are not friendly places for Tv reception and never will be friendly places for Tv reception.

That said.

The Tv transmissions are Strong signal strength in the Green reception zone at your location , if the house is wood frame with wood or vinyl siding , try a Terk HDTVi (not the HDTVa) indoor antenna aimed at about 340 degree magnetic compass direction. Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas.
http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

WMYO REAL Digital UHF channel 51 , virtual number (58.1-2-3) , to the north west , also has The CW , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMYO.

WBNA-DT REAL Digital VHF channel 08 , virtual number (21.1-2-3) ION TV is a Strong transmission at your location and should be received at the angle to the opposite side of the HDTVi antenna.

Install a HDTVi at each Tv location.

For a attic or above the roof install use a ANT751 aimed at about 340 degree magnetic compass direction.

For 1 Tv connection use no splitter. No after the antenna signal amplifier.

For 2 Tv,s connected use a common simple 2 way splitter. No after the antenna signal amplifier.

For 3 Tv's connected use a common simple 3 way splitter. No after the antenna signal amplifier.

For 4 Tv's connected use a common simple 4 way splitter. No after the antenna signal amplifier.

Here are some but not all places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

It is best to install a antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by teleview; 8-Nov-2012 at 9:31 PM.
Old 7-Nov-2012, 1:10 AM   #3
tomcannondesign

splitter/amp

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I am leaning towards buying an RCA ANT751R Antenna to put into the attic. I don't like the idea of installing an antenna next to each TV. I have TV's in areas that I could not do that. Having 1 large antenna in a high area 25ft above ground level seems to be better than 6 small antennas with each TV.

This is the antenna I may buy from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751R-Ou...eywords=ANT751

I will have 5 TV's in the house. What splitter/amp do you recommend?

Thanks for your help.
Old 7-Nov-2012, 2:26 AM   #4
teleview

Try this connections first before using an amplifier.

Connect a 2 way splitter to the coax that comes from the antenna.

One output port of the 2 way splitter will connect to the longest coax run that goes out to a Tv location.

The other output port of the 2 way splitter will connect to a 4 way splitter.

The Digital Tv stations signals in the Green reception zone of the tvfool channel list are very strong signal strength.

And the Tv stations down to W50Ci-D UHF channel 50 should be distributed through to the 5 Tv locations with no problem.

If , as in if , some channels in the Green reception zone of the tvfool channel list are not received well at some Tv locations that are connected to the 4 way splitter then install a Channel Master CM3414 distribution amplifier in place of the 4 way splitter. http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

If there is Any Cable Tv delivered service , cable tv , cable internet , cable phone , or any other type or kind of pay cable delivered service or services on any of the coaxes , Do not connect the antenna system on to the same coax as Any cable tv service is on.

Any type or kind of cable service must be on a Separate coax.
Old 7-Nov-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
tomcannondesign

Distribution Center

All rooms coax connection is run to a distribution center in the basement. The longest connection would be the basement, but I only have 1 coax run from the basement.

Instead of going to the distribution center in the basement with a single connection, you recommend to cut one of the coax in an upstairs room that went to the basement short and run it the the 2-way?

Would it be just as good to use a 6-way splitter and use a terminator for one of the connections?

Thanks!
Tom
Old 7-Nov-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
teleview

No I do not recommend cut one of the coaxes.

I am not at your location to see for my self.

So I recommended a way to do it.

Yes you can use a 6 way splitter.

If , as in if , signal strengths are low to the point of reception issues at Tv location or locations.

Install a CM3410 distribution amplifier ahead the the 6 way splitter.
Old 8-Nov-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
tomcannondesign

6-way

Thanks! Do you recommend a 6-way splitter that maintains the best quality picture?

Tom
Old 9-Nov-2012, 1:37 PM   #9
tomcannondesign

This type of antenna I assume I should mount to the ceiling joist in the attic? Is there a method you can recommend for mounting in an attic?
Old 9-Nov-2012, 1:38 PM   #10
tomcannondesign

Is there anything else I need to install everything properly?

Thanks!!!
Old 9-Nov-2012, 2:30 PM   #11
teleview

Hang a pipe down from the roof beam to mount the antenna , can even use a plastic pipe , however do not use a Tiny little diameter plastic pipe.

It is usually best to get the antenna up in the attic , not having the antenna on the floor of the attic.

It is best to keep the antenna away from HVAC and ducting in a attic.
Old 19-Nov-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
tomcannondesign

Got everything installed and works like a charm. No more cable! Thanks for your help. I know it took a lot of your time.