TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 22-Jan-2013, 8:19 PM   #1
bnp

RCA Ant751,Winegard 7694P, or Antenna Craft HBU33 or ?

I'm hoping the forum can help me make an informed selection between three hdtv antenna models.

The link to my TV Fool Signal Analysis Report is: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...6022e5ahttp://

The stations I'm interested in receiving are between 316 degrees and 339 degrees. They are located between 8 and 44 miles from my house.

My house is a single story (stud construction). I live in a valley with the Cascade Mountains (north) and Siskiyou Mountain ranges (south). My attic has ample space for a large antenna. There is a 2-story house about 40 feet to the north and west obstructing a straight shot to the TV stations of interest.

Option 1: I'm considering the RCA Ant751 because of its compact size. It's size would allow me to install the antenna "outside" on the north roof eave (8-feet above grade) or possibly higher along the northwest roof rake board. Unfortunately, the eave installation would also have trees in the signal path. Another possibility is to install the RCA antenna in the attic.

The RCA Ant751 has a limited range of 40 miles. I've been told the range shouldn't matter because the signal strength of the stations 44-miles away are strong.

Option 2: Some forum members in previous threads have recommended the Winegard 7694P (65" Boom). The Winegard has an shorter range than RCA Ant 751. This antenna could be installed in my attic but not outside.

Option 3: Also recommended was the Antenna Craft HBU33 (85" Boom). This could be installed in my attic.

(See attached antenna location floor plan below.)

So, .... my questions:

Q1. Would the RCA Ant 751 receive adequate signals from the stations between 316 - 339 degrees if it was located in the attic?

Q2. Would the RCA Ant751 receive a stronger signal "outside" when located on the roof eave than the Winegard or Antenna Craft located in the attic? or the corollary, would either the Winegard 7694p or Antenna Craft HBU33 located in the attic provide a significant improvement over the RCA Ant751 located "outside".

Q3. How does one calculate the loss in signal strength due to attic installation, interference due to adjacent buildings (stud construction), hilly terrain, or trees? Is there a formula?

Q4. Would you recommend a pre-amp or distribution amp? I plan connecting the antenna to at least two HDTV's. If so what models would you recommend?

Q5. Is there a maximum distance to run an RG6 cable from an antenna to TV?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Antenna Location FloorPlan.pdf (55.1 KB, 940 views)
bnp is offline   Reply With Quote