TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Apr-2012, 3:35 AM   #1
jsnow78

Needing a little advice from the pro's...

Currently I have a make shift antenna out of coax cable, foil and wood in my attic while this does give me a few channels I am looking at grabbing the other few that seem to be available. Here is my report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3616471c3584c1

now I have been looking at the Db8 and then ran across the DB4e I could be completely off in left field of this even being what I need and was just hoping for a little advice from you guys out there that are a lot more knowledgeable than me. Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I am aware there are not a lot of stations out there for me to pull in my area, however I would like to get all of them that I can and plan on mounting this antenna on top of the garage. Other information I do have a total of 4 HDTV's I would like to split this signal to if possible as it is currently only on the main TV so if I would need an amp of some sort I would appreciate opinions on that as well. Thank you!
jsnow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
signals unlimited

First, I would not use the DB8 or DB4E. These are UHF only and if you want to receive all available you need to have high VHF capability. I would use the Winegard HD 7698P antenna. This will be capability of receiving all but channel 5 NBC. You could use an all channel antenna (including the low VHF for channel 5), but this adds a lot of size and wind load and will only net channel 5 NBC. You should receive NBC on channel 45, a 2 edge at 171 magnetic. You will need an amplifier with a ton of gain. I recomend the new improved Channel Master 7777 with 30 db gain UHF and VHF. You will need a rotor. For your install use the Channel Master CM-9521A and 100 ft. of rotor cable CM-9554. If your garage has an even peak, I would mount on a 3' tripod CM-9003. All of theequipment is available at www.solidsignals.com.

Starting at the antenna, Mount the amplifier as close to the antenna as possible. Run the coax and the rotor cable the best way possible into your basement or attic. Choose the best location to accomidate the cabling for your four sets and 110v power access.
If your cable run comes near your ground rod, use that to ground your coax (and mount if possible). In not you should drive a 6' ground rod at the cable entry point. You will need a ground block for your coax to accomidate the grounding task. The rotor cable should run directly from the rotor to the location of the rotor control box. With the coax in your basement or attic, the first device to be installed will be your amplifier power supply (part of your 7777 amp). This needs 110v power. After exiting the power supply you can mount a four way splitter that you can pick up at Lowes. From there you can run your coax to your set locations. keep your lines as short as practical. If your sets have ATSC tuners, hook them directly to the antenna. If they are analog you need converter boxes. Some DTV sets are a little tricky to scan when using multipul positions. Scan the area with the most channels. Hopefully your set has a channel add feature, or will allow you to direct enter the REAL CHANNEL as shown on Antenna Fools site. Converter boxes are usually have ADD SCAN feature to make scanning the multipul locations a little easier. You can come up with good beta rotor settings if you start your rotor at 0 degrees magnetic and use the Fool magnetic channel locations to aim towards the channels.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2012, 6:37 PM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

This recommendation is based on the Current Plus Pending Applications Included for digital tv stations/channels in the tvfool radar report of 04-17-2012. A simple reception situation. Install a Winegard HD7696P antenna above the roof aimed at about 184 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.keys.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Of the receivable Tv stations . The Tv stations/channels that will be received are , WSNL-LD channel 47 NBC , KHDS-LP channel 51 ABC and MeTv , KAAS-DT channel 17 FOX and the Cool Tv , KWCH-DT channel 19 CBS and Local Weather. K15CN channel 15 Trinity Broadcasting Network , KSCW-DT channel 12 The CW , KPTS-DT channel 8 PBS. Thats the Tv stations in the , green , yellow and the first station that is KPTS PBS in the red reception zone. These Tv stations are received With Out a antenna Rotor , Antenna rotors are Not friendly for channel surfing , must wait for the antenna to rotate and not every one will agree where the antenna is aimed. There are some other stations/channels that can be received with a , Large Antenna , a antenna rotor or second antenna. Here they are , A second PBS - KOOD-DT channel 16 , KDUC-DT channel 31 Spanish Univision and the rest in the red reception zone are duplicates of what you will be already receiving NBC and ABC. The tv stations/channels in the gray reception zone Will Not be received.

Last edited by Electron; 18-Apr-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
Electron

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.com , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com. Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard. Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.channelmasterstore.com . Install a Channel Master CM3414 four way distribution amplifier , for 4 Tv's connected.
Old 18-Apr-2012, 7:47 AM   #5
jsnow78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
This recommendation is based on the Current Plus Pending Applications Included for digital tv stations/channels in the tvfool radar report of 04-17-2012. A simple reception situation. Install a Winegard HD7696P antenna above the roof aimed at about 184 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.keys.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Of the receivable Tv stations . The Tv stations/channels that will be received are , WSNL-LD channel 47 NBC , KHDS-LP channel 51 ABC and MeTv , KAAS-DT channel 17 FOX and the Cool Tv , KWCH-DT channel 19 CBS and Local Weather. K15CN channel 15 Trinity Broadcasting Network , KSCW-DT channel 12 The CW , KPTS-DT channel 8 PBS. Thats the Tv stations in the , green , yellow and the first station that is KPTS PBS in the red reception zone. These Tv stations are received With Out a antenna Rotor , Antenna rotors are Not friendly for channel surfing , must wait for the antenna to rotate and not every one will agree where the antenna is aimed. There are some other stations/channels that can be received with a , Large Antenna , a antenna rotor or second antenna. Here they are , A second PBS - KOOD-DT channel 16 , KDUC-DT channel 31 Spanish Univision and the rest in the red reception zone are duplicates of what you will be already receiving NBC and ABC. The tv stations/channels in the gray reception zone Will Not be received.

First of all thank you guys for the wealth of information it sounds like I would have been less than happy with the DB4e or Db8. I was hoping to pull the larger chunk of stations such as you said above without a rotator and it sounds like I should be able to if I am understanding you correctly. OS even though some of those channels are in the 70 and 30 degree mark setting the antenna in the 184 degree range I will still be able to pick them up as well as the ones in the 188 to 340 degree zone without having to have the rotor? Also I assume the next step up would be the Winegard HD7697P? Thank you guys again for your wealth of information and knowledge I really appreciate it!
Old 18-Apr-2012, 8:20 AM   #6
Electron

The Tv stations that are angled to the back and sides of the antenna will be received the Tv transmissions are very strong. The antenna is the HD7696P antenna. I recommend install the antenna as directed.
Old 18-Apr-2012, 9:23 AM   #7
signals unlimited

Counting on a directional antenna receiving channels from the back and sides of the antenna could leave you with intermittant or no reception from any but the stations more than 20 degrees from your stationary position. I know that most installers and viewers would rather not deal with the rotor, but the fact remains that without the ability to aim the antenna towards the desired stations channels your antenna system is limited.

The rotor that I recomended is programable to make repositioning as easy as pushing a button on a remote control. If you install the rotor you simply set the antenna to magnetic North with the display set on 000 and the rotor at end of rotation. Then you can simply enter the magnetic location in three digits with the remote control. The antenna will move to the desired station. Then you can use your signal strength meter to peak your reception. With stations peaked you store the position for a one button recall. How easy is that? Once set up you will be able to surf any channels in your primary location and move to any receivable station in any location. This will provide a better selection of Newscast, Sports franchises, and sub-channels. than a fixed position.
Old 18-Apr-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
signals unlimited

When choosing between a pre-amplifier like the 7777 or a distribution amplifier the length of the run to the location of the distribution system must be taken into consideration. If that distance is less than 50 ft. you may be ok with the distribution amplifier. However I recomend the 7777 pre-amplifier as close to the antenna as possible. This amplifies the signal before the loss in the coax and will deliver enough signal to allow for splitting and distribution to four or even more TV sets and will provide better reception from weaker stations.
Old 18-Apr-2012, 9:10 PM   #9
Dave Loudin

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
Counting on a directional antenna receiving channels from the back and sides of the antenna could leave you with intermittant or no reception from any but the stations more than 20 degrees from your stationary position.
This is where having the complete azimuth receive pattern (or, at least, the peak gain, 3 dB bandwith, and front-to-back ratio) of the antenna and the TVFool report come in handy. One can "do the math" starting with the Noise Margins involved to see if "from the back" and "from a bit off-axis" can work. I won't recommend a fixed-position solution otherwise.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
jsnow78

sounds like I am good to go with the fixed antenna and a distribution amp, guess I got lucky on my report with where I am located in relation to the broadcast signals... Thanks again everyone I truly appreciate it!!!
Old 19-Apr-2012, 2:56 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

I would certainly try this install without a rotator... I would suggest you consider using a high input preamp at the antenna. Though the CM34XX series DAs are good (I own a few), a mast head preamp such as an Antennas Direct CPA-19 has lower noise and it can be placed ahead of all the down-lead loss which will further improve your signal quality as compared to the DA located at the end of the down-lead.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-May-2012, 3:36 AM   #12
jsnow78

Ok its time to order this thing...just one more question because I cannot shake it. It was recommended to get a 7696p but when searching for it I also found a 7697p and even the monster 7698p would either of these 2 just be a complete waste in my situation or would having a little bit bigger antenna and the included preamp be of help to pull any more stations? Thanks guys in advance I really appreciate all of you for taking the time out to help me!
Old 7-May-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
jsnow78

^^^anyone??
Old 7-May-2012, 7:11 PM   #14
Dave Loudin

Stay with the 7696P. Going with additional peak gain narrows the main beam of the antenna. You don't need the additional gain and you don't want to narrow the range of azimuth the antenna is sensitive to.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-May-2012, 5:08 AM   #15
jsnow78

unfortunately I received the 7897p by mistake and was told they were sold out of the 7696p when I called. They refunded the entire purchase price and allowed me to keep the antenna so I really can't complain however I do have a few questions. I am aimed at 184 degrees and only receiving 12.1, 12.2, 6.1, and 51. I did however notice after about 9pm I get 33.1 and 3.1 but still no fox 17.1 or cool tv 17.2. I would really like to get these channels during the day as well as they ones I am only getting at night.

My questions are:

Is it even plausible to expect to get these stations during the day including 17.1 and 17.2?

Why do I get these stations at night but not during the day?

Thank you again for all of your help I really appreciate you guys taking the time out to help and give advice. There is no preamp hooked up as its only a 50ft run and when I did hook it up it just killed reception!

Thanks again!
Old 15-May-2012, 5:55 AM   #16
Electron

Tv Antennas and Tv Reception

Remove the UHF reflectors that are shaped like this , > , the reflectors look like the vee shape from the side , the reflectors are above and below the main boom the antenna. Removal of the reflectors will allow more of the UHF Tv signal to get to the UHF reception element from other directions. As a Test , connect only one Tv , no splitters , every time a split takes place the signal strength is reduced. What is reception like now?? . As an example Identify the Tv channels that are being received like this. KAAS-DT 17 (18.1) Fox , KPTS 8 (8.1) PBS . It is Ok to turn the Tv antenna to the left and right to find a spot that gets the best reception. . Identify the amplifier by make and model number that you say killed reception.

Last edited by Electron; 15-May-2012 at 8:55 AM.
Old 15-May-2012, 4:40 PM   #17
Electron

Tv Antennas and Tv Reception

Your location has Tv stations at different points around the compass. The alternatives at your location to making the adjustments to a single antenna to receive the Tv stations of different directions is use 2 Tv antennas or a Tv antenna rotor. 2 Tv antennas with 2 separate coaxes going to all the Tv's with A/B switches at each Tv location , the 2 antenna system Is channel surfing friendly. Or 1 Tv antenna and a antenna rotator to aim the antenna at different Tv station directions. , Tv antenna rotors Are Not channel surfing friendly , Reason: must wait for antenna to rotate.
Old 15-May-2012, 5:19 PM   #18
signals unlimited

Removing the reflector elements from an antenna decreases the gain by 50%. Use of a rotor will allow you to peak all of the areas that you receive from. A well tuned antenna will perform as well as any antenna that has 50% more gain and is tuned past it's useable beamwidth.