TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Mar-2011, 3:31 AM   #1
jmfsms

Sub-Channels Problem

I live outside Atlanta Georgia and pickup channel 32 which has 20 Sub-channels all of which come in clearly on my flat screen tv except 32.3 (thistv) and 32.4 (prism). This occurs even though the antenna is only hooked to the tv with no splitter. With the splitter, I run to a second older tv with a converter box and I get both of these channels fine. I have tried replacing the cable wires and all wires used are RG6. Here are the specifications of my setup and any help is greatly appreciated....

tvfoolreport: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...597996507fd0e5

antenna type: clearstream4
preamp: channelmaster 7778

I also have a regular amp which I can add but I still do not get 32.3 or 32.4 on the new atsc ready tv. Oddly enough I do not get the same two channels on 26.6 or 26.7 which also broadcasts them fine on the old tv with the converter box and sorry to be redundant but I have already tried switching cable wires. Ugggghhhhh....
jmfsms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2011, 1:01 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

There's nothing wrong with your antenna, amplifier, or cabling. The problem is the TV set itself (which you didn't identify). Most likely, the problem is a corrupted channel scan map/memory. Also possible is a TV set firmware incompatibility with the data that is being transmitted by WTBS/WANN.

You may wish to proceed as follows:

1) Try a simple rescan.
2) Try a "Double rescan" as per http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html
3) Look a a master reset in your TV's menus, then rescan
4) Contact the tech support/ customer service department for the TV set manufacturer.
5) Contact the engineering department for WTBS/WANN and see if they have any insight.

Good luck and let us know if the problem gets resolved.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 13-Mar-2011 at 1:05 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2011, 3:50 PM   #3
jmfsms

Results of Trying Steps...

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Sorry I did not mention the tv type it is an LG Model 55LH40.

Doing the reset did not help and I contacted LG who told me that the set top converters (Access HD Model DTA1080U) had a better amplifier than the tv which they stated (I'm not lying) had a weak one.

I tried to explain that it did not make sense as all other sub-channels came in fine and I told him about a possible TV set firmware incompatibility with the data that is being transmitted by WTBS/WANN but they did not like that idea either.

They did agree to upgrade the firmware of the television due to another issue with lipsink and picture with this set.

I am thinking of trying a stronger antenna just to see if it helps any suggestions on which would be best to try? Currently the one channel I do not get is channel 8 PBS out of Atlanta and I thought maybe a dual setup would do this and my channelmaster 7778 allows for the two antennas.

Also, I am e-mailing the engineering department for WTBS/WANN to see if they can give any input.

Thanks for all the help, jmfsms
Old 13-Mar-2011, 7:54 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

ADTech has offered sound advise. I agree that this does not seem to be an antenna problem.

Quote:
I am thinking of trying a stronger antenna just to see if it helps any suggestions on which would be best to try?
If you asked 'which antennas have higher gain than the AD CS4, I would say, 'In a consumer grade price range the AD XG-91 and the Winegard HD8800 come to mind. However if you really want higher gain look at the Wade / Taco PB-82-BB'. But you have asked "...which would be best to try?" My best estimation is, none of these antennas will resolve the problem with your LG 55LH40.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2011, 8:10 PM   #5
No static at all

Your antenna system is not at fault. That station seems to be problematic with certain LG chipsets according to Wikipedia. Here is a quote from the Wikipedia webpage.

"Some Zenith/Insignia DTV converter boxes (which have a newer LG chipset) detected the channels but did not display any video, even with good signal strength, which also indicated a data problem with the station."
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2011, 1:49 AM   #6
jmfsms

Thanks For The Help Guys

I never thought that the new flat screen tv (well just new enough not to be able to return) would be the problem. Thanks for all the help guys, -jmfsms
Old 14-Mar-2011, 2:29 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

I own a two fairly new flat screen sets, a Toshiba and VISIO.

The Toshiba has an anomaly were I must first tune to VC 4.1 before tuning to VC 4.2. If I do not, the set indicates low signal level and will not display a picture.

The VISIO when tuned to VC 9.3 displays the program on VC 9.1. By tuning to VC 9.1 or 9.2, then to 9.3 I am able to view the program on VC 9.3.

My point is, manufactures are in such a hurry to get new product design through concept and development and on too market that they are often overlooking or missing problems like this. I don't want to be pessimistic but this is an unintended consequence of the consumer culture which demands more for less and sooner rather than later.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote