TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-May-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
rgallop

Antenna question

Good morning TVFool. I know this might not be the place to ask, so please point me in the right direct if this doesn't belong here.

Basically, my company has a location in Birmingham, AL that lost their main telco circuit, and we use wireless backup with Sprint. The closest Sprint tower near the location was destroyed by the tornadoes last week. I've ordered a Yagi antenna (1800 to 1990 Mhz) to hook to the Sprint data card that goes back into our network. I've used this setup in other locations where the towers are more than a mile away and we have obstructions (metal/cement) in the building. It's worked good so far.

Not to drag this question out, but does anyone know of a site to point to cellular towers and narrow down the setup? We've been using Google earth which helps, I just wondered if something better is out there.

Thanks,

Rob
rgallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-May-2011, 1:59 AM   #3
rgallop

Thanks JC. This will be very helpful for future planning. I was able to narrow down some of the towers going over a couple of the websites tonight.

Earlier today with some luck, I had the tech on site adjust the Yagi while I was watching the ping responses (to the Sprint Data Card) and we were able to lock in 3 bars of reception. We have network connectivity for the first time in a week! They are very happy to be working again.

Thanks again to TVFool for the advice I've learned in the past few months and today.
rgallop is offline   Reply With Quote