TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Oct-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
malachi

10 - channels, but can only view 3, what gives?

My new antenna came in yesterday,
http://www.parts-express.com/antop-v...tenna--210-512
So I immediately put it together. First thing I notice, not all the metal is touching each other. Should it be? Maybe, maybe not? There is plastic holding it together.

After that, I connected it to my tv, with an apx 3’ cable. Put it 7/8’ in the air, pointing out my 10’ window apx north.

Here is my TV fool report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243e980a25278

Every 15 minutes I would search for channels, and I would get 10/9 channels with FOX being the 10th one. But when going through the channels, I would only be to view 3 channels, the same 3 when I just had rabbit ears. 22-2, 33-1, 33-2.

The other channels were a lot of 2-‘s and 9-‘s.

Final question, I did this to see, if that when I move it to the attic, I would get any signal lose. When I move it to the attic, would these channels come in better, or would I need a preamp? It will probly be a 50’ cable run, split to two tv’s.

Thanks everyone.
malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2014, 1:59 PM   #2
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Go back to the TV Fool page, click on "Online TV Maps" on the left side, enter your address or zip code and click "Map this". When the map appears, left-click the teardrop icon and while holding the left click, drag it to your house. You can also move the entire map using this method. When the icon is over your house and centered on the map, use "+" on the left side to zoom in. When you get to maximum zoom, switch to "Satellite" in the upper right corner and zoom in all the way. Then repost your TV Fool report.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
malachi

NEW PROBLEM!!!!

ok, first, my computer at work does not allow that map to work. :-(

BUT, i put the antenna in the attic lastnight. connected the TV in the bed room...... and nothing.

put the TV in the attic, with a 4 foot cable, and moved the antenna around till i got the most channels, ended up with 11 but could only watch 8.

so then i moved the tv to where the splitter is, and test just the cable i made, and ended up catching all 11 channels.

brought the TV back down to the house... NOTHING. didnt use the splitter and just put a little connector to go straight line, and still nothing.

now this total length is probly 30' to the splitter, and 50+ feet to the bedroom.

do i need an AMP?
Old 9-Oct-2014, 4:15 PM   #4
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachi View Post
NEW PROBLEM!!!!

ok, first, my computer at work does not allow that map to work. :-(
You can always enter your exact address. If you know your latitude and longitude, enter that instead. If you don't want to enter your exact address, you might consider using just the street name with no number, and the zip code. Please note that the TV Fool report typically doesn't show your street address or exact coordinates.

Quote:

BUT, i put the antenna in the attic lastnight. connected the TV in the bed room...... and nothing.

put the TV in the attic, with a 4 foot cable, and moved the antenna around till i got the most channels, ended up with 11 but could only watch 8.

so then i moved the tv to where the splitter is, and test just the cable i made, and ended up catching all 11 channels.

brought the TV back down to the house... NOTHING. didnt use the splitter and just put a little connector to go straight line, and still nothing.

now this total length is probly 30' to the splitter, and 50+ feet to the bedroom.

do i need an AMP?
Sounds like you might. Make sure your connections are tight. Loose connections can easily generate interference or block the signal entirely.
Old 9-Oct-2014, 4:33 PM   #5
malachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Myers View Post
You can always enter your exact address. If you know your latitude and longitude, enter that instead. If you don't want to enter your exact address, you might consider using just the street name with no number, and the zip code. Please note that the TV Fool report typically doesn't show your street address or exact coordinates.

Sounds like you might. Make sure your connections are tight. Loose connections can easily generate interference or block the signal entirely.

the "map" doesnt show up. im using like an old IE. and a lot of "maps" dont work. not sure if its the plug in the map uses or the old browser they make us use now. wither way it just shows blank.

sweet. on to reseach pre-amps.
Old 9-Oct-2014, 5:40 PM   #6
Ben Myers
KD3WB

You don't need the map if you enter your address or coordinates. The TV Fool report is only as accurate as the location you enter and even fifty or a hundred feet can make a difference. I get a different report if I enter my neighbor's address.
Old 9-Oct-2014, 5:47 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
You don't need the map if you enter your address or coordinates.
Only if Google Map's geocoding of the address is accurate enough and there's no way of knowing unless you also look at the map view. I learned (the hard way) several years ago to never trust the address look-up without using the online map to verify it. Besides, the basic map view provides some topographical elevation data that you learn to read after awhile plus the satellite view allows you to see tree and foliage cover, something the basic radar plot does not account for.

Accurate GPS coordinates are the best. Not much ambiguity with them, plus you can look at the location easily in other applications to better read the terrain and surroundings.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote