TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Aug-2016, 9:08 PM   #1
SoHumble

Antenna selection(s)

I currently have an RCA 751R antenna mounted in my attic and it generally works OK when the weather is good. The problem is, when the weather is bad WESH channel 2.1 tends to break up. All other channels seem to be fine. I watch channel 2 a lot and would like to fix this with a new antenna or combination of antennas. This is my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb082d1602ad

Thanks
SoHumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Aug-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
WESH is slightly weaker than other stations in your area, and the 751 antenna would be marginal for your situation, even if mounted on the roof.

Because of Florida building codes, you necessarily have a lot of structure in your attic that limits the size and placement of an antenna. Many homes in Florida were also built with foil-backed insulation and aluminium siding, which are very detrimental to indoor or attic reception.

If you are willing, I would suggest roof mounting an antenna, which will get you clear of the attic obstructions and aiming restrictions. As for an antenna, I believe that you need a better VHF antenna than the 751, as WESH operates on channel 11, which is your weakest network station in your location. I would suggest roof-mounting a Stellar Labs 30-2475 VHF high-band yagi on the roof along with the 33-2230 antenna combiner, which would mount in your attic and connect the two antennas. You'll need to run RG-6 cable from the Stellar Labs to the combiner, and aim the antenna at 114 degrees by your compass: this should solve your problem on WESH without installing two antennas on the roof.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2016, 12:30 AM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Which WESH signal are you receiving, the main channel 11 signal or the channel 18 Deltona translator? Both will identify as "2.1" on-screen, you'll need to dig deeper into your menus to see if there's a diagnostic screen that provides extra info.

Quote:
The problem is, when the weather is bad WESH channel 2.1 tends to break up.
The cause probably depends on the specific channel being received. Weak VHF signals are often often affected by any lightning (broadband impulse noise) anywhere in the vicinity, perhaps 20-40 miles away. Weak UHF signals dropping out during rain is most commonly caused by wet trees in the signal path. Either symptom is going to be aggravated by having placed the antenna inside an attic. The solution usually starts by putting the antenna where it can actually catch signals of better strength and quality (outside, up in the air).

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 15-Aug-2016 at 12:32 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2016, 6:01 PM   #4
wizwor

I suspect he is getting the VHF station since it is in the same direction the antenna is pointed and the UHF station is weaker, 1edge, and not in front of the antenna. In a reddit thread, a guy with a similar problem fixed it by adding a y5-7-13. The ANT751R only has 5db gain. Before going on the roof, I would consider adding a Stellar Labs 30-2476 via a UVSJ. The manual says it has 10-14db gain -- at least twice what your antenna has.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2016, 6:32 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The RCA's beamwidth is wide enough that it might be either broadcast signal. Until he provides additional information, anything suggested is going to be speculative.

The Villages is one of those "planned" communities where rooftop antennas are shunned. Even though residents have the legal right to mount whatever antenna is needed where it is needed, community pressure usually prevails.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2016, 9:14 PM   #6
SoHumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I suspect he is getting the VHF station since it is in the same direction the antenna is pointed and the UHF station is weaker, 1edge, and not in front of the antenna. In a reddit thread, a guy with a similar problem fixed it by adding a y5-7-13. The ANT751R only has 5db gain. Before going on the roof, I would consider adding a Stellar Labs 30-2476 via a UVSJ. The manual says it has 10-14db gain -- at least twice what your antenna has.
You are correct. All the stations I want are in the Orlando area, 114 to 116 magnetic. Additionally, my attic set up aims through a flat wall, with vinyl siding and no radiant barriers.
Old 15-Aug-2016, 9:41 PM   #7
wizwor

Then I would further speculate that mounting a 30-2476 three feet above or below the existing antenna will improve reception.
Old 16-Aug-2016, 3:42 AM   #8
SoHumble

Second thoughts

OK, I just learned that the RCA 751 only has 5 bd gain on both uhf and vhf. I figure that if I am going to upgrade, I might as well just replace the 751 and get a better system. Suggestions?
Old 16-Aug-2016, 3:53 AM   #9
wizwor

If the 751 is pulling in all your other stations, I don't know why you would want to change it. What you replace it with depends, in large part, on how much space you have in your attic -- unless you are willing to move the antenna to the roof.
Old 16-Aug-2016, 1:54 PM   #10
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I guess that the answer to your question depends on whether you are willing to mount an antenna on the roof, or if it must remain in your attic. UHF antennas have smaller elements that work better in a crowded attic. A VHF high band needs more breathing room. I don't think that there is much argument that a roof-mounted antenna will yield better reception, but, first, you need to let us know which way you'd like to proceed.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Aug-2016, 4:20 PM   #11
SoHumble

New antenna

I would like to keep the antenna(s) in the attic.
Old 17-Aug-2016, 4:58 PM   #12
SoHumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
If the 751 is pulling in all your other stations, I don't know why you would want to change it. What you replace it with depends, in large part, on how much space you have in your attic -- unless you are willing to move the antenna to the roof.

I ordered a Stellar Labs 30-2475 (not enough room for the 7 ft. 2476) and will combine it with my 751 and see if that works.

Thanks for the help
Old 17-Aug-2016, 5:39 PM   #13
wizwor

Consider this inexpensiver combiner/amp...

https://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1R.../dp/B003P92D9Y
Old 17-Aug-2016, 6:27 PM   #14
SoHumble

That's cool. I already have one.

Last edited by SoHumble; 17-Aug-2016 at 6:39 PM.
Old 17-Aug-2016, 8:00 PM   #15
Nascarken
Banned

That is good and have a good day
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2016, 6:40 PM   #16
SoHumble

I installed the Stellar Labs antenna and the signal from WESH is now extremely strong. It hasn't rained so I am not sure if the reception will degrade during bad weather, but I am hopeful that it will be better than before. The UHF side is still strong, I am even getting a channel from Cocoa with good signal strength.

Thanks everyone..

Last edited by SoHumble; 19-Aug-2016 at 6:43 PM.
Old 19-Aug-2016, 6:45 PM   #17
wizwor

Congratulations.
Old 20-Aug-2016, 4:41 PM   #18
Nascarken
Banned

HI sohumble what is the distance between you and the towers, farthist one first and what is the A G L,on the antenna,and what is the signal strength , of the channel's that you receive from that tower,?

Last edited by Nascarken; 20-Aug-2016 at 4:49 PM.
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote