TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Aug-2013, 7:19 PM   #1
jim97gst

Lost Channels - Suspect Power Injectors

Hello all. I have a Wingard omni directional non-powered antenna. I don't remember the specific model. The website I bought it from recommended it based on my address. It came with 2 PI-1000 power injectors. I ordered another power injector for a 3rd TV. It is a different model. It's a PS-1503. Up until a few days ago everything was working just dandy as it has been for almost 5 years. I got pretty much every channel that's available. I then started getting distortion on some of the channels. On the main TV I swapped out the PI-1000 for the PS-1503 which was on the TV that's hardly ever used. It seemed to fix the problem. Then things got worse and I lost more than half my channels. I've fiddled around some and found that if I have just 1 power injector in the system then that TV will work. If I put another one on a different TV at the same time, I lose channels. So right now I have the PI-1000 back on the main TV with no other injectors in the system and I get most of my channels.

So it seems that the power injectors are the problem. How do I know if one is bad? Should I replace them with the same models? Is there a better solution?

If I put one of these on my antenna will it allow all 3 of my TVs to work?

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1R-...ds=rca+antenna

Here is my TV signal analysis report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aed9f437335b
jim97gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2013, 7:50 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

You don't need an amplifier, nor any power injectors...

Without knowing the antenna model, we're guessing...

It makes no sense that a non-powered antenna would be supplied with one, let alone multiple power injectors.

Generally: You would only use one power injector in the entire system... And then, only if there was an amplifier in or near the antenna. The TV tuner does not need external power, and in some cases, will suffer temporarily or even permanently if you feed power into the tuner input.

If your antenna is in fact, non-amplified (non-powered), you should not be using any power injectors.

If you were starting from scratch, a mid-size all-channel or 7-51 type antenna should do well, with no need for any amplifier (or any amplifier power accessories).

Simplify, replace the unknown antenna with an Antennacraft C290, C490 or Channel Master CM-3016 or CM-3018. Start with the antenna pointed at the main group of signals, 32° per a compass. With a passive 3-way splitter, each TV should be happy.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 15-Aug-2013 at 8:33 PM. Reason: Add title, sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Aug-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
teleview

Install a Antenna Craft HD850 All Channel antenna aimed at about 251 degree magnetic compass direction.

Use a Old School magnetic compass.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Disconnect and Remove ALL power injectors.

Disconnect and Remove ALL amplifiers.

Disconnect and Remove ALL amplifier power supplies.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a simple common 4 way splitter.

To keep Weather/Water out of outside coax and connections.

Use NEW RG-6 coax that has the Compression type connectors on the ends of the coax , not the old crimp type connectors.

To make double sure that weather/water does not get into outside connections and coax and matching transformer (balun).

Wrap with , http://www.coaxseal.com.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.solidsignal.com.

http://www.amazon.com.

http://www.antennacraft.net.
Old 17-Aug-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
jim97gst

OK, I was wrong about the antenna being powered. I thought that meant something on the antenna itself plugged in. The antenna is an amplified Winegard Metrostar.

As I said before, everything worked fine for almost 5 years. I'm not sure what happened and why it's not working now.

Anyway, replacement power injectors are about $25 each, so I'd be out $75. It looks like a replacement antenna is about that much.

Unfortunately, I've been working mostly with the coax cable that was already installed in the house. When I installed the antenna I ran a cable to the cable box. From there it splits and goes into the attic. One line goes to one tv and the other one splits again and goes to the other 2 tvs. It's pretty long runs of cable. It looks like I might need to clean up the cabling if I switch to a non-amplified antenna.
Old 17-Aug-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Again, I know of no amplified antenna, preamp or distribution amplifier that would require more than one power insertion device. Something was not installed in the ideal manner.

For about the same money, you can replace the omni-antenna with an antenna that needs no power. You'll eliminate the confusion about power insertion and likely have a more robust signal at each TV.

In your situation, you only need to run coax from the antenna to a grounding block, then to a single 3-way splitter, and then from the splitter, a coax run to each TV.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

Old 18-Aug-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
jim97gst

The AntennaCraft C290 is a good bit cheaper than the other options. It's only $37 on Solidsignal.com. Would the more expensive ones have any advantage for my setup?
Old 18-Aug-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
jim97gst

If I get a directional antenna, won't I lose some of the channels I was getting when my omni directional antenna was working properly?
Old 25-Aug-2013, 4:35 PM   #8
jim97gst

Thanks for the help guys. I got the AntennaCraft C290 and I'm getting all my channels. I had to point it at 261° to get 27. Luckily I still got all the other channels too.

I looked at the manual for my old antenna. It does say to use additional power injectors as required. When everything was working I may have been able to make it work with one injector before the split but it would have been difficult to get power to where the split is. Anyway, I'm power free now and happy.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2451916.pdf
Old 26-Aug-2013, 1:10 AM   #9
teleview

The Tv signals are Strong Signal Strength at your location.

And are received even though the antenna is not aimed at the Tv stations.

So no luck to the reception.

Replacing and correcting , bad coax , bad connectors , bad couplers , bad splitters , and using one correct splitter , is what is required for the best reception.

Do not chain splitters one after the other , a splitter connected to another splitter connected to another splitter connected to another splitter.
Each time a split takes places the signal is reduced and chaining splitters reduces the signal more then using 1 Correct Splitter with the number of out puts that is the same as the number of Tv's connected.

250 magnetic compass and 260 true north are the same direction.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Aug-2013 at 9:26 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 26-Aug-2013, 1:46 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim97gst View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I got the AntennaCraft C290 and I'm getting all my channels. I had to point it at 261° to get 27. Luckily I still got all the other channels too.

I looked at the manual for my old antenna. It does say to use additional power injectors as required. When everything was working I may have been able to make it work with one injector before the split but it would have been difficult to get power to where the split is. Anyway, I'm power free now and happy.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2451916.pdf
Great! Glad to hear of your success,

As I read the Winegard instructions, I came across this paragraph;
Quote:
To maximize the operating life of the amplifier, install
the power injector close to the TV receiver (if only one
will be used with the antenna)
or the first signal split. A
maximum antenna-to-power injector length of 150 feet
RG-6 or 150 feet RG-59 is acceptable.
I understand the bold underlined portion to refer to the number of TVs used with the antenna, not the number of power injectors.

Was that the portion of the instructions you where referring to?

I am still quite certain that only one power injector should have been installed. (But it's now a mute point isn't it?)