TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Sep-2011, 3:15 AM   #1
Kirksk

Talking Antenna Recommendation

Hey guys. Well I'm finally going to get around to installing an antenna in my attic. The antenna will be about 15 feet off the ground level. Please let me know what antenna I should buy to have the best chance to receive the most channels. I'm not sure whether I would need a directional or multidirectional. I plan on getting an amplifier as well if needed. Thanks everyone for the input.

Here is the TV fool data:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b5fc699e91aa
Kirksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2011, 3:47 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The current plus pending version of your report shows eight stations a mile or less from your location. That argues against the use of an amplifier for fear of overloading and distortion which would leave you with fewer viewable signals... not more.

Does your attic have room to rotate a long boom antenna?

How many TV's do you plan to connect?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2011, 4:00 AM   #3
Kirksk

Thanks for the quick reply. I have some room in my attic to work with and think I could get a decent size boom mounted up there which could rotate 360 degrees no problem. This will be my first install though so I'm definitely a newbie. For now, I only plan on hooking up 1 tv to the antenna which will have a run of about 30 feet of cable from the antenna to the tv. Depending on how strong the signal is I may decide to split the signal for another tv, but that isn't in the immediate future. Or, I may just install another antenna for the 2nd t.v. if need be.
Old 28-Sep-2011, 5:15 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Per Rabbitear.info not all of the close in transmitters are on the air. Still, strong local signals will pose a problem for most, if not all, amplifiers.

Take a look at the dimensions of the Winegard HD7698P. It's long, so I don't expect it to fit in most attics.

The problem I see is that you will need to rotate an antenna to be able to access a full line up of the major networks and, in the attic you will need every bit of gain you can find in an antenna if you are going to have a reasonable chance at receiving the weaker signals and then have enough signal to split to two sets. Again, you're in a spot that makes me work hard to avoid the use of any amplifier.

If you could mount outside in the clear, you would be able to use a bit smaller antenna, but without an amplifier the big Winegard is not overkill, IMO.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Sep-2011 at 5:17 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2011, 1:03 AM   #5
coco

There is a lot of antenna info at this site
http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...lp_center.html
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2011, 2:16 AM   #6
Kirksk

Thanks you guys. I will continue reading. Let me know if you need anything else from me to give me good recommendations.
Old 29-Sep-2011, 3:55 AM   #7
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Your reception location is Not simple. The tv networks are spread around 3 directions. The strength of the tv signals range from very strong to Very Weak. I do not recommend using any type or kind of amplifier. The strong signals will overload the amplifier resulting in bad reception. I do not recommend putting the antenna in the attic , the weak signals will not be received. What I do recommend is a outside roof top antenna , a Winegard HD7697P antenna mounted on a ChannelMaster CM9521A rotor , Mounted on the roof of the house. Here are some antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/engineered-rot...ount-3324.html

Last edited by John Candle; 29-Sep-2011 at 11:21 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Kirksk

Well I'm really not one to put things on my roof (satellite or antenna) so I think that option is a no go. Things just aren't easy in these hills