TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Oct-2016, 3:22 AM   #21
k man

thanks for the input Tiger Bangs. Would you design a system much different than what is posted above? I am going to call my installer tomorrow....want to know of his appetite to come back out and put up a different system. The reception seems fine as of late, (perfect weather)- i just want to be sure I get good reception with bad weather too
k man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Oct-2016, 10:50 PM   #22
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You do not need a deep fringe UHF antenna: all your UHF Hartford stations are very strong, and can be received with a small 2 or 4 bay UHF antenna. WTNH is a VHF station, weak to be sure, but available with the right antenna. What we choose depends on whether or not you want the Springfield stations. If you do, the I would use a Stellar Labs 30-2430 8 bay antenna with one panel aimed at 27 degrees to pick up WGGB and WGBY. I would aim the other panel at 150 degrees to pick up NBC, FOX and CW.
To pick up WTNH, use a Stellar Labs 30-2476 deep fringe high-band VHF antenna aimed due south at 182 degree. Combine the two antennas using a Stellar Labs 33-2230 UHF-VHF combiner, and, if you plan to use a preamplifier, I would suggest using a Winegard Boost XT outdoor preamplifier, which is quite immune to overload, has a low noise figure, and is reasonably priced. That preamp would allow you to power 4 TV sets easily when used with a splitter.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2016, 12:17 PM   #23
k man

I do in fact like the springfield stations because I work in Hampden.

The other consideration for my situation is our favorite show Jeopardy. When i started this post, I mistakenly thought it was shown on both WTNH and WGGB (reasoning both are ABC stations). Come to find out I was wrong, its on WTNH and WWLP.

With our current set up, WGGB shows a fairly strong signal- hovers between 62 and 72 percent on the tivo signal meter. WWLP stays between 58 and 62.

I'd be totally okay without WTNH provided WWLP stays consistent. Nothing but great weather lately,so it hasn't been put to the test.

Would going after wtnh your suggested set up get me jeopardy more reliably than I get now?

If yes, that would be a total win win because I could also get local stations head on.

If not, I think a strong jeopardy signal with my current set up and sacrificing my local signals would be okay.
Old 7-Oct-2016, 4:39 PM   #24
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Yes, Jeopardy is on both WTNH and WWLP, and if you can get WWLP now, then I would say that you are OK. My only concern is picking up WTIC and WVIT from the back of your antenna. To me, that has the potential for multipath when the weather turns bad. Considering what you spent for this installation, I think that the installer could have provided you with better options.
Old 9-Oct-2016, 1:15 PM   #25
k man

so multipath a weather related problem? I thought it was caused by mountains and buildings?

If I go to the trouble of having the installer back out, I need to be 100 percent sure the change is an improvement. Like I said, things seem fine now and wife thinks leaving well enough alone is the way to go.

It would just be my luck to change it and end up with better local reception and no jeopardy! (wife would kill me)
Old 10-Oct-2016, 5:18 PM   #26
rickbb

Multipath can be caused by most anything. Mine is trees blowing in the wind.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Oct-2016, 11:41 AM   #27
k man

I spoke with a tech at mcm electronics over the phone who sort of discouraged me from a two antenna system. Said two antennas need to be at least 5' apart, and the extra splitters, weight, and cabling combined for a more failure prone system. He recommended a rotor on my existing equipment....keeping my direction southeast except when watching or recording jeopardy (wwlp).

Do you think that would work?
Old 23-Oct-2016, 3:43 AM   #28
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

If you were using only one TV at a time in your house, then a rotator is a good choice, however it is absolutely duck soup to design and build a 2 antenna system: we do it all the time, and there is no mystery or magic to it. Going 5 feet above a rotator is no big deal, but a rotator poses some challenges when multiple TV sets are in use in the house simultaneously, especially if the desired channels lie in different directions.

Even if you wanted to go with a rotator, my initial suggestion would work just fine. Don't let too many people mess with your head here: there is not one right or wrong answer here, but your disclosure that you would like to have the Springfield stations in addition to the Hartford-New Haven stations changes the scenario somewhat. Let us know what's really important to you, and we'll help you to proceed.