TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Nov-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
zivush

OTA antenna advice - Narberth PA

Hi - I would appreciate your advice on which antenna will do the job in my apartment. Here is the signal analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49c649b67ffa

The antenna will be indoor.

I read good reviews of the leaf antenna: http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Lea...I3MIXANH75OFJP

Is that a good option for me?

Thanks in advance!
zivush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Nov-2012, 1:25 AM   #2
elmo

Good grief! Why spend $40+ on a Leaf when you can use a paperclip?! You are very close to some tower(s) and will get good signals with the least of antenna's! Besides, with the Leaf, I don't think you can pick up VHF - it's UHF only. Although, being that close, you may get some signal. But AFAIK, the Leaf isn't designed for VHF. I'm not hip on the best value rated indoor antenna, but make sure it's VHF/UHF. That's all that matters. Do not get anything that's amplified or you will corrupt all your channels. If you have some old rabbit ears, hook em up. Are you putting it in the attic or will it be attached to a single TV? I'd try a local store - Wal-mart or otherwise for the cheapest they have and give it a whirl. Worst thing is that you take it back. But seriously, I don't think you will need much. Others here can chime in as well. Get a few opinions before you venture into the world of OTA.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Nov-2012, 1:33 AM   #3
teleview

Important questions and information.

For a antenna recommendation , answer questions and information.

Does the apartment have any windows that are toward the direction of , north east , east??

What floor is the apartment??

What is the top floor of the building??

Is there a patio or balcony to the , north east , east??

Is the apartment on the , north , east , side of the building??

What side of the building is the apartment on??

What is the building construction??

Wood construction with wood or vinyl siding is the best for reception.

Concrete , concrete blocks , brick , concrete tile roof , metal roof , metal siding , metal backed insulation , will disrupt reception.

Last edited by teleview; 14-Nov-2012 at 9:01 AM.
Old 14-Nov-2012, 1:55 AM   #4
zivush

Hi Elmo - thanks for the input.

Why will Amplifying corrupt my channels? I am a newbie and would love to learn...

Thanks,
Ziv
Old 14-Nov-2012, 2:13 AM   #5
elmo

You are so close to the transmitter towers, at less than 3 miles away. (My closest station is 15 miles, and others as far as 45.) Those close signals will come in nice and strong as is. If you amplify them, they will bleed over into other channels and cause issues. If you look at your chart, you will see a column for Real Channel. That's the actual channel they broadcast on. I see one is 34 and another is 35, which is a perfect case. When you over amp those two, they will step on each other since they are right next to one another on the frequency scale. The downside is that you get random pixelation and such, degrading a really solid signal. More isn't always better! The only time you need an amp in the mix is to boost the gain of a weak/distant signal.

I've learned a bit over the years, but I'm still a newbie in terms of radio frequency. But it is interesting stuff that we just come to take for granted so often. But the more you know, the better you can make your own install!
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Nov-2012, 3:02 PM   #6
zivush

See my answers below in red - thanks for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
Important questions and information.

For a antenna recommendation , answer questions and information.

Does the apartment have any windows that are toward the direction of , north east , east??

The apartment has windows facing north-north-west

What floor is the apartment??
second floor

What is the top floor of the building??
One more floor above me

Is there a patio or balcony to the , north east , east??
No

Is the apartment on the , north , east , side of the building??
Yes

What side of the building is the apartment on??

What is the building construction??

Wood construction with wood or vinyl siding is the best for reception.
Not sure - its a rental. Probably brick
Concrete , concrete blocks , brick , concrete tile roof , metal roof , metal siding , metal backed insulation , will disrupt reception.
Old 14-Nov-2012, 3:52 PM   #7
teleview

You say that the windows are to the , north - north west , and the the apartment is on the ,north - east , side of the building , Is that correct??

The Digital Tv transmissions are VERY STRONG at your location.

Do Not use any type or kind of amplified antenna.

The amplifier will over load from the VERY STRONG signals and be the cause of bad or no reception on some channels.

I recommend a TERK HDTVi non amplified antenna.

Do Not use the TERK HDTVa amplified antenna.

As you can see , the tvfool radar plot report shows that the main group of digital Tv stations are to the , north east , at about 42 degree magnetic compass direction.

I recommend aim a HDTVi antenna at about 42 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

If the apartment has , north , north east , east , facing windows , put the HDTVi at/in the window for better reception.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and others obstructions including the apartment building.

It is best to install a antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions in the direction of reception.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Do Not channel scan for cable tv channels.