TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Aug-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
dave337

Reception through building

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...990058f42ee8f3

Hi, I live in a highrise apartment building on the seventh floor. The orientation of the building, estimating from the analysis, splits the picture from about 30 degrees to 210 degrees. My apartment faces the western portion of this dissection or you could say it includes from 210 degrees to 360 and 0 to thirty. I plan on mounting it out on my balcony.

There aren't any other buildings at the same height to reflect waves back towards my apartment. Not too sure if a building will reflect waves up?

I don't have an antenna yet. This is one I have been considering: http://overtheair.saveandreplay.com/...Direct_DB8.asp

My question is about the channels that appear to be out of my field of view. There are a bunch at 36 degrees, just out of my field of view, and another group in the bottom-right quadrant of the picture which is directly through the concrete building. Can anybody give me their expert opinion about whether or not I will be able to receive any or all of those channels with the antenna from the link?
dave337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2012, 1:35 AM   #2
teleview

Tv Reception.

So the balcony is the 360 to 210 view??

The 0 to 30 view is a window??

Or the views are??

And are these numbers , true or magnetic ??
Old 13-Aug-2012, 3:16 AM   #3
dave337

Maybe my description is a bit confusing --- I'll try again. The end of the building, where there are no balconies, points to 30 degrees true. So the opposite end points to 210 degrees (180 + 30) if I'm not mistaken. The other two sides of the building have balconies. So in this building, your unobstructed view is either the eastern or western portion if the analysis map, skewed by 30 degrees. Another way to express this is to say one unobstructed view includes a range from 210 degrees to 30 and the other view includes the range from 30 to 210. (30 and 210 can't be really included in both ranges so technically like 210 to 29 and 30 to 209)

So the range of view on my balcony includes 210 and above, and up to 30 true. (I have no windows that have a different field of view than my balcony - my guess is that mounting the antenna on the balcony is my best bet.) The stations I'm asking about are out of my direct field of view. Can the signal make it through my building? And some stations are just out of my view -- do you think I will still be able to pick them up?

Last edited by dave337; 13-Aug-2012 at 3:31 AM.
Old 13-Aug-2012, 7:54 AM   #4
teleview

Tv Reception.

The main group of Digital Tv stations/channels is at about 46 degree magnetic compass direction.
I recommend a ANT751 extended out past the balcony and aimed as close to 46 degree magnetic compass direction as you can get it.

The Tv transmissions are Very Strong , DO NOT use any type or kind of antenna amplifier.

The small group of Digital Tv stations/channels to the west will be received by the ANT751 also.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

You can try for the Tv stations/channels at 175 degree magnetic compass direction , on the other end of the balcony at 210.

Stick a ANT751 out past the balcony to get it aimed as close to 175 degree magnetic compass as possible.

The Tv transmissions are Very Strong , DO NOT use any type or kind of antenna amplifier.

There are some USA Digital Tv stations to the south east , the Tv stations are Weak but receivable with a Unobstructed view.

With a unobstructed view , use a Antennas Direct DB4e antenna aimed at about 125 degree magnetic compass.

The USA Tv stations/channels will not be received through concrete.

The Tv Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by teleview; 14-Aug-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 14-Aug-2012, 3:56 AM   #5
dave337

Well that sounds like great advice. Thanks so much for your help.

I'll be acquiring one of those fine antennas in the near future.