TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jan-2013, 1:56 PM   #1
Kenny

What am I doing wrong?

I have a Winegard HD8200U antenna on my roof in La Mesa, CA pointed toward Los Angeles stations at compass reading 316 degrees. I am using a Winegard pre-amp AP 8700, as I have a couple of splitters in my cabling system. This is my analysis chart: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda8c50679f1f

I am receiving channels 43 (2.1), 31 (5.1), 39 (52.1), 24 (63.1) and a couple of others periodically. They are all from the location 116 miles from me. I also receive channels 8 (8.1) and 10 (10.1) which are local stations here in the San Diego area. I am using an ePVision PHD-VRX receiver which has two tuners. The HD8200U is connected to the first tuner and I use another antenna for the southern stations that is connected to the second tuner.

My question would be why I cannot receive other channels from Los Angeles that seem to have a better signal? Any help would be appreciated.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2013, 2:45 PM   #2
signals unlimited

I suspect the 8700 amplifier is being overloaded by the strong channels.

To prove that out you could bypass the amplifier at the amp and power supply to see if the strong locals come back. If so replace the 8700 with a Channel Master 7778 low gain amplifier.

Also you mentioned that you have splitters. If they are left over from your satellite system they must be removed and replaced with OTA products.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 21-Jan-2013 at 11:32 PM.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2013, 6:00 PM   #3
teleview

The signal strengths of the LA stations are Very Weak.

And I see , Adjacent Channel Warnings Interference and Co-Channel Warnings Interference.

The Strong local transmitters interfering with the Weak LA transmitters.

As an example , KABC-TV REAL VHF channel 7 , and , KZTC-LP REAL VHF channel 7.

As a example , KVEA REAL UHF channel 39 , and , KNSD-DT REAL UHF channel 40.

As an example , KTLA REAL UHF channel 31 , and , KPBS REAL UHF channel 30.

And So Forth.

The LA Tv stations are , 80 Plus and 100 Plus miles away.

With 2 edge reception , terrain blockage , mountains.

This Is Not a Good reception situations.

This type and kind of reception situation is Experimental.

I recommend No amplifiers. As the amplifier will increase the strength of the adjacent and co-channels / local Tv stations channels.

This reception situation looks to be between , a rock and a hard place.

Last edited by teleview; 22-Jan-2013 at 5:43 AM.
Old 21-Jan-2013, 8:49 PM   #4
Kenny

I hooked up the antenna directly to a tv and tried it with and without the amp and it did not make much difference either way. Maybe a bit better without the amp. But I am sure the amp makes a difference going through the house wiring.

I had no idea there was a splitter for ota. I do remember the Uverse installer changing the splitters that were on the cabling, so I will change them back to ota type.

I will send the 8700 amp back to Amazon and order the Channel Master 7778 that you recommended.

One more question, if you don't mind. Both antennas are for lo/hi vhf and uhf. If I mount the smaller antenna on top of the pole the 8200 is on, will there be a problem of any type, interference maybe?

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 21-Jan-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
signals unlimited

Yes you can use the same mast for both antennas but keep them seperated as much as possible. DO NOT USE THE SAME COAX FOR BOTH ANTENNAS. They must be seperate runs.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2013, 1:03 AM   #6
teleview

Here is one way to receive the LA Tv stations.

http://www.slingbox.com.

Install a Slingbox with a tuner at a location that is closer to the LA Tv stations , and the Slingbox with the tuner will Stream to your internet connection and to your Tv.

Also some Tv stations have internet streaming to your internet connection and to a Digital Tv.

Last edited by teleview; 22-Jan-2013 at 5:44 AM.
Old 22-Jan-2013, 3:11 AM   #7
Kenny

Thanks teleview for your input. I see exactly what you are saying. Maybe I am starting to see the light. I guess I am lucky to be receiving what I am, which after tweeking the antenna this afternoon, I am getting most of the LA stations except for knbc.

Can you guys straighten me out on the ota splitters? After looking at dozens on line, so many different types, I really don't know what I am looking for.

Thanks again for the good info. It is appreciated.
Old 22-Jan-2013, 4:02 AM   #8
teleview

The LA Tv stations reception is Experimental , to see what happens with signal strengths , you can make tvfool radar plot reports at different antenna heights , from 1 foot above ground to 500 feet above ground.

Can also change the location of the antenna.

Go to the tvfool home page and click on >>Start MAPS<< , you can move the pointer around on the radar plot on your property and off your propetry and also change antenna heights to see if signal strength can be improved.

And then you can try the HD8200U antenna at the locations and heights to see if can improve the reception.

In the old days it was called finding hot spots , or walking the roof.

In the old days there was no tvfool or local mapping programs.

I have carried many antennas around looking for and finding hot reception spots.

For reception of the local Tv stations , I recommend aim the smaller All channel antenna at about 176 degree magnetic compass direction , the weakest signal strength local tv stations.

Directional type Tv antennas receive the best at the front of the antenna and then at front angles to the antenna , and then back angles and back of the antenna.

The least reception is directly on the sides of a directional antenna.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

For splitters , simple common splitters will be Ok.

No requirement for , gold plated , super whiz bang , splitters.

You can try different types and kinds of splitters to see if makes any difference of reception.

If using a preamp , use splitters , that are power passing , that will pass power through the splitter from the power supply / power injector , to the preamp.

Here are splitters that pass power in one direction. And are high quality splitters.

HFS splitters.

HFS-2D 2 way splitter. HFS-3D 3 way splitter , HFS-4D 4 way splitter.

Buy the HFS splitters at , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.hollandelectronics.com.

For a preamp that is resistant to signal strength overload from the local Tv stations and generates less noise , Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp.

All electric and electronic circuits generate noise , the noise ' masks ' the Tv signal , puts a layer of noise over the Tv signal. This reduces the reception of the desirable low signal strength LA signals.

It is a balancing act , when using a amplifier , stronger signal strength , more noise.
Less signal strength , less noise.

The HD8200U is a big high gain antenna , the shear size of the antenna receives more signal.

Notice that I did not say , pulls in more signal , the Truth is that antennas Do Not pull in signals.

The size/length and number of metal reception elements of the HD8200U antenna ->Receives<- more signal.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Jan-2013 at 4:26 AM.