TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Mar-2012, 2:12 AM   #1
uofalabama_2000

Antenna advice please

First off hello and thanks for any help you all can give!!!
I am wanting to install an external antenna but am having trouble knowing which model would work best in my location, and which azimuth to direct the antenna once installed. To be honest I'm not sure that an external antenna is necessary but I want to have the best reception and least interference possible. Thanks again for any help you all can give me in advance. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as I have never installed an external antenna so it's all new to me.

My tv signal analysis link is below. I live in Montgomery Alabama 36109.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b867b97692e08

I
uofalabama_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2012, 5:41 AM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

A simple reception situation , Strong digital tv transmissions. If the house construction is wood frame with wood or vinyl siding then , A simple NON AMPLIFIED indoor tv antenna aimed at about 180 degree magnetic compass (south) will get all of the Many receivable digital tv channels. Here is is how to aim indoor antenna , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Here are two simple indoor tv antennas that you can buy from http://www.solidsignal.com , Channel Master CM4010 and the TERK HDTVi . If the house is , concrete , concrete blocks , cinder block , bricks from ground to roof , big rocks for walls , metal siding , metal backed insulation , stucko Wire , metal roof , solar panels , thick dense trees , then reception will be reduced or blocked using a indoor antenna. If you will like to install a Roof Top antenna Above The Roof then install a ANT751 antenna aimed at about 180 degree magnetic compass. Home Depot or Lowes has the ANT751 antenna. A antenna amplifier will not be needed with a outdoor roof top antenna the signals are strong and will supply signal to up to four tv's.

Last edited by Electron; 12-Mar-2012 at 6:01 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2012, 5:55 AM   #3
Electron

The tv Must scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes called the , 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' , because the tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna. Do Not scan for cable tv channels. If tv is not capable of receiving the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , http://www.channelmasterstore.com has converter boxes.
Old 12-Mar-2012, 7:14 AM   #4
Electron

An alternate aim direction for the indoor or outdoor antenna is about 292 degree magnetic compass.
Old 12-Mar-2012, 6:35 PM   #5
uofalabama_2000

Thank you very much Electron! I'll follow your advice and post an outcome soon!
Old 13-Mar-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
uofalabama_2000

I do live in a brick house so I'm going with the ANT751R and 25' of RG6Q Quad Shield Cable.... buying the antenna from Amazon for about $40 less than Lowes! Not sure how to ground that antenna yet but hopefully it will be covered in the manual or something. Will keep you posted.
Old 13-Mar-2012, 1:26 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Grounding does not need to be a big ordeal.

Ideally, connect the mast to the electrical service ground using a #10 copper wire. Route the coax down-lead so that a coax grounding block can connect to the electrical service ground via a short length of #10 copper wire.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Mar-2012, 1:50 AM   #8
Electron

Here is an example of coax ground block http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master.../dp/B000BPEZKK. And go to Home Depot or Lowes to size up the grounding hardware for the mast mounting that the antenna is mounted to. Use #8 copper ground wire , the ground wire is hard copper bare wire that is made to be exposed to and will last a long time outside. And all so size up the grounding hardware that is made for the purpose of grounding , different types of clamps and metal straps and etc. . The best place to have the coax ground block is where electric service for the house is at and connect to the electric service ground. The #8 ground wire will also go to the electric service ground. The #8 ground wire should have gradual bends when routing the ground wire , no sharp angle bends , lightning does not like sharp angle turns , lightning likes to travel along nice smooth gradual turns. You can also connect the coax ground block and the #8 ground wire to the cable tv or satellite ground wire. There is a grounding hardware that is a split bolt , real handy for connecting ground wires to geather. You unscrew the nut part of the split bolt , slip the split bolt over a ground wire that way you do not have to cut the ground wire , lay the other ground wire/s into the split bolt and then screw the nut part back on and tighten.