TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-May-2014, 8:16 PM   #21
teleview

>+=

Make sure the UHF Bowtie Loop Ends are connected to the bolt studs where the the matching transformer (balun) connects , if the UHF loops are not connected , reception of the UHF channels will not be good.

Make sure the feed wires that connect the VHF metal reception elements are connected correctly , so that the signal received by the metal reception elements can flow to the connections where the UHF Bowtie and matching transformer connect.

www.antennacraft.net/Manuals/HBU_web_manual.pdf

------

Also to Prove Reception , connect a NEW Matching Transformer
to the antenna.

And also connect a NEW Continues Length of RG-6 Coax to the NEW Matching Transformer.

And Run the NEW Continues Length of RG-6 Coax through a open door or window dirrect to 1 Tv.

No splitters , No couplers , No etc. .

------------

Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

------------

Also did you follow directions about install the antenna at a location avoids obstructions in the direction paths of reception.

Avoiding obstructions of reception is Actualy Important.

Last edited by teleview; 4-May-2014 at 4:08 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 4-May-2014, 10:18 AM   #22
Paul_Aris

Everything is connected per the instructions. The only thing that seems weird is where the transformer hangs from strain relief the cable kind of hangs against the V portion of the antenna. Not sure how to route the RG6 cable in the area. At one point I had it tied up to the main boom to route it away from the V and over toward the mast. Thought that may be a problem so I cut the zip tie. No obstructions our trees in the path the antenna is pointing until 100 feet or more.

I am getting 3 now after rescan. 17 is very bad and nothing on 8 yet.

Last edited by Paul_Aris; 4-May-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Paul_Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-May-2014, 4:21 PM   #23
teleview

+=>

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channel ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna,

Some Digital Tv,s will Automatic channel scan for cable channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable channels.

Do Not channel scan for only Analog Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select and channel scan for ATSC- Digital Broadcast Tv Channels.
Old 4-May-2014, 8:28 PM   #24
Paul_Aris

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channel ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna,

Some Digital Tv,s will Automatic channel scan for cable channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable channels.

Do Not channel scan for only Analog Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select and channel scan for ATSC- Digital Broadcast Tv Channels.
Yes, my Insignia only give three choices: 1. Antenna, 2. Cable, 3. Cable Satalite. Everytime I sue Antenna and it shows how many digital and how many analog signals it finds. Scanned and rescanned many times including a double scan.

My LG Smart TV does Antenna first then scans for cable, and then satalite. I get about the same results on both TVs. but I mainly working with the Insignia because it is closest to the antenna.
Old 5-May-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
Paul_Aris

I also ran a single cable with no splitter or anything down and through a window directly to the TV and it didn't get any better. I will pick up a new transformer and try that. I still don't understand why I am having such a hard time with 8 woodTV. CBS 3 I had but on my last scan that dropped out. Fox 17 is in and out and basically useless.
Old 5-May-2014, 7:28 PM   #26
teleview

+=>

The second Tvfool report , the Current Pluss Pending Applications Included Digital Tv Stations Channel List , shows that 15 Tv stations down the Channel List are Strong to Moderate Signal Strengths and are , LOS=Line Of Sight.

LOS is the best type or reception , no hills/mountains obstructing reception.

-----------

Local obstructions such as and not limited to , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , roofs and buildings and other obstructions are blocking and reflecting Tv signals bouncing all around.

To improve reception move the antenna up and down and test different locations for reception.
Old 6-May-2014, 1:01 AM   #27
Paul_Aris

Figured Out?

Ok, I got it figured out. I pulled the antenna back down today to change the transformer and run a short cable to a small HD TV I forgot I had that I could haul up to the roof with me. One thing I read in the directions that I wanted to check was the small cross over wires where supposed to be separated by 1/2" or more and not touching. They are also not supposed to tough the main boom. I made sure they were not touching the main boom when I installed it. In effort to make sure they did not I pulled a few up them up away from the boom. In the process i made the crossover wire themselves touch each other. I guess I missed that part of the instructions when I 1st installed it.

So when I brought the mast and antenna down to the roof level that is the 1st thing I checked. And sure enough 3 sets of them were touching each other. Put it back up and did a channel scan with the small dtv I had on the rough with me directly with a 25' cable. I had CBS 3.1-3.1 and NBC 8.1 8.2 8.2, 13 WZZM and fox 17 plus all the channels I had before. Original transformer is fine.

So then I disconnected and reconnected the longer cable that was going to my closet tv in the family room. Still had all the channels but 17 began to drop in and out. Then I tried a RCA digital preamplifier that I got at menards. 17 came in great with that. Of course I had to rescan and lost all the major local channels such as 13, 3 and and picked up 6 and a bunch of other weird ones. I figured it was boosting the UHF side really well and and completely losing my VHF. So I uninstalled.

So my new question is this. Seeing how on the roof with short 25' cable I was getting all the channels I wanted clear including 17 with no amp. Now with my longer 50" cable to tv 1. with one splitter and a a wall plate and TV 2 is way longer run than I needs to be ( I can clean that up later) I still get everything I want but 17. Does this mean a Distribution Amplifier strengthen the signal up enough to get 17?

Thanks
Old 7-May-2014, 4:33 PM   #28
Paul_Aris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Please go back and do an exact address plot. A zip-code level analysis is usually too prone to variations for it to be reliable.

RG6 and RG6QS coaxial cable typically exhibits 5.5-6 dB insertion loss at 700 MHZ which is the worst case for antenna signals. I usually use a factor of 1 dB per 17 feet and it's plenty close enough. You can pick 15 or 20 feet/db for off-the-cuff estimates and it will usually be close enough. Keep in mind that VHF attenuates much less per unit of cable length so, in the case of very long cable runs, the tilt of the signals (insertion loss of low frequencies vs insertion loss of high frequencies) can become skewed and might require some equalization.

Once more a more accurate analysis is available, estimate the length of your individual cable runs, identify the splitters (2 port, 4 port, etc), and then you can estimate whether any amplification will be required to improve noise margin and to overcome downstream distribution losses.
Still wondering what distribution amplifier I should try to improve WXMI 17. I per my findings one post above. I do get this channel on the closet tv on good days. It goes in and out.
Old 7-May-2014, 4:43 PM   #29
GroundUrMast

The Channel Master CM-3410 is quite tolerant of strong signals and has decent noise performance.

If there's not power handy at the mounting location, you can use a run of RG-6 to extend the power... Or optionally, insert power using the PCT-MPI-1G.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-May-2014, 9:09 PM   #30
teleview

+>

WXMI , Real UHF channel 19 , (virt) virtual number (17.1) FOX .

Is Strong Signal Strength , 42.8 NM(dB).

Is LOS Line Of Sight Reception.

Is 41.0 miles .

Should be no problem with reception even with 4 Tv's connected and No type or kind of amplifier.

Keep the following in mind.

All as in All , coax , connectors , couplers , splitters , and etc. , is and are suspect of being Defective.

Using amplifiers to overcome defective componets will cause more problems.

-----------------

Also a antenna can be in a low signal or dead spot , try moving the antenna up or down and change location of antenna.

-----------------

Also the RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp can operate in 2 different modes.

Separate UHF / VHF antennas connected.

And 1 combined UHF/VHF antenna connected.

Last edited by teleview; 8-May-2014 at 2:40 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 27-Jul-2014, 12:14 PM   #31
Paul_Aris

Update

I know this is an older thread but I have been living with so so reception and if it is going to storm outside the reception gets worse. I believe my major issue could be the woods that is behind our house and our neighbor houses. I would say the woods starts about 75 feet away from the antenna. The antenna points at the woods.

Right now I have a HBU-44 pointed south east. I have it on a 10 foot mast on a gable eve mount. Mast and coax is both grounded before entering the house. The signal is split right after it enters the house with a Channel Master CM 3412 2-Port Ultra Mini Distribution Amplifier. I am running 2 HD tvs.

So 13 and 8 35 (pbs) are typically really good. 3 can be in and out but pretty solid on the best days. 17 (fox) is only useful on the very best days. 17 should be solid all the time.

Tell me if I am on the right track but I think I need to try relocating the antenna left a few inches to see if it helps. Also may even try to lower it just to see if reception improves. I really can't go any higher with out a tower. This may be somewhat difficult seeing how it is an gable eve mount.