TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Mar-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
qnssekr

Winegard 7694P in Queens, NY

Hi, I recently purchased a Winegard 7694P antenna and installed it on my roof here in Queens, NY. It's about 25' off the ground pointing 300 degrees west-northwest. I get over 50 channels crystal clear including WNJB. The only problem is no WLIW.
According to the intactive map I should be able to pick up WLIW. So my question is should I point the antenna towards WLIW's antenna? I figure most of the major towers are under 6 miles away and should not be a problem picking up the back end of my antenna. Dumb idea? If anyone has any suggestions how I can get WLIW I would really appreciate it.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b8688307937d0

Last edited by qnssekr; 31-Mar-2012 at 7:50 PM.
qnssekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2012, 6:20 PM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

qnssekr ... how many tv's are/will be connected??

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-Apr-2012 at 3:16 AM. Reason: Moved to new thread
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Dave Loudin

Try swinging your antenna over to the east and see what happens. Given the signal strengths, you probably have too much antenna. If rotating east does not work, get a lower-gain antenna like a Winegard 7000R or an Antenna Craft AC9.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2012, 2:43 PM   #4
qnssekr

I turned the antenna east and now I am getting WLIW! I lost 1 channel in the process and two are spotty. I lost 66 (WFME which is a religious channel), and 32 (CCTV Chinese news programing), Channel 4 (NBC) comes in and out. More so with 32. Over all I am happy with the results. Thanks for your help Dave.

Last edited by qnssekr; 1-Apr-2012 at 3:32 PM.
Old 2-Apr-2012, 3:10 AM   #5
Dave Loudin

You can experiment with your aim by rotating clockwise towards the southeast in small steps to see if you can get 4 to stabilize while keeping WLIW. The idea is to put the Empire State transmitters more directly behind your antenna while still keeping WLIW in the main beam in the front.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2012, 6:22 AM   #6
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Remove the -> , > , <-shaped UHF reflectors from the HD7694P antenna , this will allow more UHF reception through the back and side of the antenna. Start over again with aim point at about 300 degree magnetic compass.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2012, 2:06 PM   #7
qnssekr

Channel 4 comes in very clear. It's more of an issue of waiting for the channel to tune. I'll press 4.1. The channel will either come in or go to blue screen. When it goes to a blue screen I just channel up or down then back to 4.1 and the picture comes in. I am ok with that.
I don't really want to dismantle the antenna but I will try adjusting it. Good riddance to satellite TV! Thanks all for your help!
Old 2-Apr-2012, 7:30 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnssekr View Post
Channel 4 comes in very clear. It's more of an issue of waiting for the channel to tune. I'll press 4.1. The channel will either come in or go to blue screen. When it goes to a blue screen I just channel up or down then back to 4.1 and the picture comes in. I am ok with that.
I don't really want to dismantle the antenna but I will try adjusting it. Good riddance to satellite TV! Thanks all for your help!
This could be an issue with the TV. I've noticed some marked differences between the operation of my Toshiba vs. the Visio... similar to the what you're describing. I suspect many TV manufactures 'settle' for less than perfect when developing the software/firmware that controls the tuner operation in ATSC/OTA mode. If so, perhaps because they don't think many people will connect the set to anything other than cable or satellite service. With just a little more thought and testing, the software in TV's could make OTA reception far more user friendly and reliable.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote