TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Mar-2015, 3:01 AM   #1
jmsteele

Antenna help in Northern San Diego

Hello- I'd like to dump cable and go with OTA reception if I can. This forum helped me a few years ago when I was in Portland Oregon with buying the correct antenna. I've relocated to San Diego and in a apartment building that has a pretty clear view east over a field - I also could point an antenna north with a pretty clear view as well. I'm about 25-30 feet off the ground. I can't get real crazy big since I am in a apartment. Thank you for looking and any recomendations

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0de8697d0bd

Jon
jmsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

For reliable reception prediction, you need an antenna location that offers a good view to the south and southeast (see your radar plot). If such a location is not available, then your reception will be reliant on the signals penetrating the structure and arriving at an antenna. If you have to rely on signal penetration, your reception will be at the mercy of the building's construction materials, the antenna location, and the antenna selection. Certain building materials are particularly harsh on signal propagation, especially any that includes metal either as the primary exterior surface, stucco (has wire screen behind it), and radiant barrier insulation.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2015, 1:18 PM   #3
jmsteele

Thanks for the info. Are there any antenna models you could recommend that might work better than others ? I've used the Wineguard FV-30BB FreeVision in the past at my other location with good results. A dealer recommended the Winegard Metrostar VHF/UHF Amped Omnidirectional.

I could probably get setup pointing SE however there is a building about 75 feet away in that direction.

Thanks, Jon
jmsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2015, 2:14 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Our ClearStream 2V or 4V would be the antennas from our product line that would likely work best.

Quote:
Wineguard FV-30BB FreeVision
You're likely to need a better UHF (especially) antenna. VHF reception of that antenna is pretty mediocre, but it probably would be adequate for your location.

Quote:
A dealer recommended the Winegard Metrostar VHF/UHF Amped Omnidirectional.
What the heck was he/she thinking?

Quote:
I could probably get setup pointing SE however there is a building about 75 feet away in that direction.
That's where your UHF signals will be coming from. Antennas work best when focused on the incoming signals. You wouldn't expect your favorite outfielder to catch many fly balls if he didn't face the open part of his glove towards the direction the ball is coming from. Your reception will be at the mercy of that building, also, as it will block a certain amount of the signal.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 3-Mar-2015 at 2:18 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote