TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Sep-2011, 7:15 PM   #1
marni13

ION Noblesville, IN 46062

I bought this antenna: Antenna Pros High Gain Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna AX-909G2 Stealth from Antenna Hub: http://www.antennahub.com/long-range...FQzDKgod_hYPJg

We mounted it outside above the shed, so approx. 10 feet. It is run through the existing cable box to 5 tv's, only 3 are hooked up so far and we get great reception. But there is one station I really wanted and is why I bought a 150 mile range antenna. That would be ION. I can't get ION. Can anyone help with some suggestions on what I could change/add to get ION?

Thanks in advance for any help!!! I am a newbie!
marni13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2011, 7:38 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

Step one: please run a tvfool report for exact address and post the link for it.

Step two: return that antenna! You can claim that it didn't meet the specs - the ION station is somewhere around 50 miles from you.

What you have is an antenna that is only modestly sensitive connected to a strong amplifier. Contrary to claims, adding an amplifier does not extend range to that degree. What you need is an antenna like a Winegard 7694P or an Antenncraft HBU-33 to get the channels you want with no amplifier. Final judgement depends on your TVFool report.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2011, 7:50 PM   #3
marni13

Sorry! I posted the link to my tvfool address info, but I'm not sure what happened! http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...14f33783309e9d
Old 15-Sep-2011, 6:43 PM   #4
Dave Loudin

Your report shows that the ION affiliate is just over the horizon from you, hence the 1-edge label for the path. Note also that it is listed in the red zone of the table, implying that you need a sensitive (high-gain) antenna (NOT counting any amplifiers) to reliably pluck it out of the air. I recommend a Winegard HD7696P high VHF/ UHF antenna - your NBC station broadcasts in the high-VHF band, your CBS station broadcasts in both the VHF and UHF bands, and there is a low-power station on ch. 8 that relays the WISH radar. All your other channels (including ION) are UHF, so you need an antenna that covers both these bands.

Try without a pre-amplifier first to see if you get what you want. If ION doesn't show, then a preamp that will resist overloading from strong stations like the Winegard HDP-269 would be recommended. You will need to put the power supply for the preamp between the cable box and the antenna.

ION has plans to construct a low-power relay that would be co-located with all your other local channels and would be much easier to receive once it is on the air on ch. 34 (displayed as 51.1). A smaller antenna, like an Antennacraft HBU-33 or Winegard HD7694P would then suffice.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Sep-2011, 3:09 AM   #5
marni13

I have sent for RA for the antenna I bought. But I have a question about the Winegard antenna you suggested. This is what Newegg says about the range:

Active Elements: 28 Includes hardware for mounting to a mast; antenna has a 75 ohm coax connection Estimated Range: 30 miles VHF & 25 miles UHF UHF Elements: 17 VHF Elements: 11 Boom Length: 65" Maximum: 35" Element Diamter: 3/8" Turning Radius 43.25

I was trying to get ION, which is 44.1 miles away, and I believe it is a UHF station. Will this Winegard have enough range?
Old 23-Sep-2011, 3:13 AM   #6
marni13

I have also found the AntennaCraft you suggested. This the specs on it:

Fringe High Band UHF/VHF/ TV Antenna
31 Active Electronic Elements
80" Boom Length
UHF Range Up To: 60 Miles (Ch. 14 - 69)
VHF High Range UP To: 70 Miles (Ch. 7 - 13)

So maybe I should get the antenna craft instead? Thank you so much for your help!!!
Old 24-Sep-2011, 6:08 AM   #7
rickcain

Quote:
Originally Posted by marni13 View Post
I bought this antenna: Antenna Pros High Gain Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna AX-909G2 Stealth from Antenna Hub: http://www.antennahub.com/long-range...FQzDKgod_hYPJg

A very bad antenna return it if you can, and go for the Antennacraft instead.
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
marni13

Will I need an amplifier to go through the cable box to 5 tv's? We currently only have 3 hooked up, the other 2 are old and need converter boxes. But instead of wasting money on converter boxes, we are going to purchase 2 new tvs.
Old 25-Sep-2011, 1:35 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

DL is offering you sound advice.

As you have already shown with your first antenna purchase, mileage claims can be made with little if any scientific evidence to support the claim. In fact, I submit that the science would disprove the more fantastic advertising claims.

When dealing with reputable antenna manufactures, mileage claims can be somewhat helpful (to a non-technical sales person and non-technical customer). When legitimate gain figures are available together with a reasonably accurate signal strength prediction (Thank you TV Fool), a far more accurate estimate of performance can be made. DL has access to both your TV Fool report and the gain figures for the antennas he has suggested. (You have been offered the fundamental parts of an engineering study that would have cost hundreds or thousands of dollars a few years ago if you had hired an engineering firm to do an analysis of your reception conditions.)

As far as going "through the cable box" is concerned, are you describing a structured cabling terminal like this... http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model...561DDF699489C4 that is the central distribution point for data, phone and TV in your home?

I feel the need to caution against connecting your antenna to any part of an active cable TV network. If you do, you risk causing harmful interference with aviation communication and navigation services, police, fire and other life safety services could also be affected.

DL has suggested, and I agree, try without an amplifier. An amplifier that is not needed actually reduces the quality of all the signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Sep-2011 at 1:39 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2011, 1:52 AM   #10
marni13

We had comcast, and are currently going through that box with the original antenna pro antenna. We are getting great reception on the 3 tvs that are hooked up. Should I just try the antennacraft alone first and see how that goes? I just ordered it tonight.
Old 25-Sep-2011, 2:08 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

Are you still using Comcast for internet?

There are many different types of 'cable boxes' around. Has the feed cable from Comcast been disconnected (connector unscrewed and cable left unconnected) to make way for the feed from your OTA antenna? Is there a splitter in the cable box? I am trying to be sure that you are not going to have a Comcast tech and agents from the FCC and FAA knocking on your door. The Comcast tech can't cite you or arrest you but the other two are from the government and want to 'help' you.

If you have already bought the Antennacraft, try it without any amplifier. If you connect the new antenna to one TV (no splitters or amplifiers, just a cable from the antenna directly to the TV, you'll know what channels are available. If some of those channels go away or become unreliable when you split to many sets... then an amplifier would be indicated... to overcome the losses in the cable and splitters. An amplifier will not do the antennas job, really, it won't.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Sep-2011 at 2:14 AM.
Old 25-Sep-2011, 2:24 AM   #12
marni13

We discontinued service with comcast, and WE unhooked their line into the box and replace it with the line from the antenna. We have internet through ATT. There is a splitter so it can go to the 5 tvs.
Old 25-Sep-2011, 2:32 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by marni13 View Post
We discontinued service with comcast, and WE unhooked their line into the box and replace it with the line from the antenna. We have internet through ATT. There is a splitter so it can go to the 5 tvs.
Good... please forgive me for being so forceful about this... but radiating signal from a cable TV system is something to avoid.

Old 25-Sep-2011, 2:38 AM   #14
marni13

I didn't know about this stuff, so I'm glad you asked. I don't need any trouble from the government, they give us enough without asking!!! LOL I'll just try the antenna by itself on one tv first, and then hook it up to the splitter in the cable box. If we need an amp, do you recommend any for the antennacraft? Also, the antenna I have now has the motor that turns the antenna from the inside. I don't see that the antenna craft has this. Is this something we can add, and if so, do you recommend a certain one?
Old 25-Sep-2011, 6:32 AM   #15
GroundUrMast

DL suggested a Winegard HDP-269mplifier which can handle strong local signals better than most other amplifiers. A worthy competitor to the Winegard would be an Antennas Direct CPA-19.

I'm rather hopeful you'll find a single aim point that works well. I would suggest aiming directly at WIPX, 192° per your compass. Then, if needed, adjust a bit toward the west to deal with any stations that might be a bit weak due to the aim being a bit off. The stronger signals SW of you will be easier to receive than WIPX.

A rotator will frustrate viewers who want the antenna aimed some direction other than where the person with the rotator remote chooses. If you must have a rotator, the Channel Master CM9521a is a consumer grade (priced) option. For larger antennas and locations prone to extremely cold weather, the Hy-Gain AR-40 is a far more robust rotator (as it's price would imply).

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Sep-2011 at 6:40 AM.
Old 26-Sep-2011, 2:40 PM   #16
Billiam

Marni13. Last year I stayed at a motel at exit 3 off I 69 in Fishers. I was able to get the Ion signal you mentioned while staying on the 2nd floor while facing Indy when using a Channel Master 4 bay 4221 antenna with my TV. I think mounting a HBU 33 on the roof will give you every signal that you need from the Indy area and also the VHF signal from Lafayette. BTW. I did this without a preamp. If you don't have any obstacles in the direction facing the weak signals then you probably won't need a pre amp. Just get your antenna on the roof and you should be fine. You may need a rotor though since your signals come from different directions. I needed to rotate my antenna inside the motel room by 25 degrees or so in order to obtain every Indy signal including the ION station.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2011, 2:44 PM   #17
Billiam

If you need a rotor I am going to recommend the following three units. I own them all and each one has worked perfectly through the past winter despite temperatures dropping below zero a couple of times and also during days when we had single digits.

NTE U105 and 106. The 106 is digital programmable. The Antennacraft TDP-2 is also a good rotor and can handle fairly large antennas. A lot of people gripe about the Channel Master 9521 locking up in the winter due to apparent bearing problems associated with the grease in the unit freezing. I did not experience this with my rotors.
Old 7-Oct-2011, 3:27 PM   #18
marni13

I can't get any of the ION channels. I changed the antenna to the antenna craft suggested above. Not sure what the problem is. Should I try a preamp?
Old 7-Oct-2011, 3:36 PM   #19
Billiam

Yes, try a pre amp. WIPX TV is a pretty weak signal and it appears as though you will need amplification to receive it.

But first, are you using a rotor or are you simply pointing the antenna in one direction? If the antenna is not pointed directly at WIPX then you will probably not receive it with this antenna. I'd try rotating the antenna first before using a pre amp. Since you have some strong signals in the area they could overload the pre amp and wipe out a lot of stations.
Old 7-Oct-2011, 3:40 PM   #20
Billiam

This station should come in at your location. Note in the link below they have a translator station which is in the green in your location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIPX-TV

Did you rescan the channels after changing antennas?