TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Feb-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
breakerwannab

Red face Need help on antenna choice

Hi would like to be able to pickup all the major networks abc, fox,nbc,cbs if possible without rotator , I live in northeast Connecticut with zip code 06239 and will be mounting the antenna on top of my roof with about a 10 foot pole, I'm looking for a long range antenna that can go 180 degrees and pickup up both uhf and vhf. according to the signal analysis all the major networks within 50 mile radius is in four different locations , Do I need two identical long range antenna that goes 180 degrees and put them opposite of each other if so what do I use to combine the antenna? a coupler or splitter/combiner or they both the same thing and should I use amplifier for both, I had an antenna with a rotator but was only picking up 3 stations and none were the major networks.
breakerwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Please review:

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

We'll be able to give you much more relevant information, suggestions and advice if we are able to see a reception prediction based on your location rather than a generic ZIP code based estimate.

Thanks

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
breakerwannab

Sorry my copy and paste seems to not work with windows keyboard on a mac

The link for the map is below

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f03e8dedae15

Thanks
Old 23-Feb-2015, 11:05 PM   #4
Jake V

Your TV Fool Report has a warning that it is resolved only to the block level. It may or may not be accurate. Repeat with the following instructions: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2015, 11:38 PM   #5
breakerwannab

Okay I think I got the most accurate map now

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0510d68ec69
Old 23-Feb-2015, 11:40 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
Your TV Fool Report has a warning that it is resolved only to the block level. It may or may not be accurate. Repeat with the following instructions: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508
Agreed, given the significant terrain shown in the path profiles of the generic report just posted, it's likely that the conditions at your location may be significantly different.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2015, 1:45 PM   #7
Tower Guy

To get stations from 180 degrees apart I'd try a 4 bay UHF antenna such as a DB4e with the reflectors removed. (ADTech, is that easy to do?) That may not work 100%, but it's worth the attempt. Next, to get CBS and FOX from Providence add a Y5-7-13 VHF yagi aimed at 79 degrees. Add the antennas together with a TVPRAMP-1R preamp.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2015, 2:07 PM   #8
Jake V

I like Tower Guy's recommendation. Though in this situation using a DB-8e pointed in those directions or a DB-8/DB-8e with reflectors removed would not be overkill.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2015, 2:57 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
DB4e with the reflectors removed. (ADTech, is that easy to do?)
Yep, if you've got a drill and a nice, sharp 3/16" bit to drill out the aluminum rivets. Reassembly, if required, can be done with standard #10 screws and nuts from your local hardware store.

I often recommended this approach when dealing with UHF stations that are in nearly opposite directions and are not of too great a power differential. You'll have HPBW of 40-60+° in each direction, depending on frequency.

The newest versions of our C2 and C4 now feature reflectors that simply clip into the rear loop base. It's really easy to just leave them off and get a bidirectional UHF antenna. The reflector-less C2 would have a bidirectional HPBW of ~70° and the reflector-less C4 would be between 30 and 45° depending on frequency.

Keep in mind that removing the reflector will reduce forward gain by 1.5-3 dB and *may* open up the door to multipath. No free lunch, you know.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 24-Feb-2015 at 3:03 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2015, 6:13 PM   #10
breakerwannab

Thank you all for the much needed info

I will take everyone's recommendation and will order the part soon,
Old 24-Feb-2015, 11:57 PM   #11
breakerwannab

I have decide on buying HD8200 and the DB-8e, I already have a winegard boost XT 20dB Outdoor aPre-Amp LNA-200, is this amp strong enough for both antennas and what is the Winegard CC-7870 2-Way TV Antenna Joiner Coupler , is this what I should be using to combine the antenna or should I be using the UVSJ UHF VHF Band Separator/Combiner for Antenna , is there a difference?

Thanks in Advance
Old 25-Feb-2015, 6:40 PM   #12
Tower Guy

You need a UVSJ to couple your two antennas before the preamp. In my opinion the DB8e is too directional for you. The DB4e has a better chance of picking up CW in New Haven. The 8200 is overkill for the two VHF stations from Providence. The smaller cheaper Y5-7-13 will work perfectly. If you want more headroom use the Y10-7-13 instead.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote