TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Apr-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Rickt1962

Unhappy Getting snow from my RCA Preamp :(

The few OTA channels i get. But I also have a Channel Plus RF Modulator 5545 that inserts my cameras and DVD to my house cable. When the RCA Preamp is plugged in my cameras and DVD channels are snowy ! And I really want to have a amp to get the weaker channels Since I live in a area that doesnt allow huge or high antenna's Im using a RCA 751R antenna and its preamp I should be getting 11 channels only getting half The antenna is 14' off the ground and is only 25' from my Cable splitter which is a OnQ with Video engine on it. Is there any amps that will bring in a signal that is showing 7% on my TV ?
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (71.9 KB, 503 views)
Rickt1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2013, 7:45 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Reliable reception starts (or fails) at the antenna and it's location. An amplifier is not a substitute for an antenna... amplifiers do not and can not 'pull' signal from the coax or antenna and certainly not the air. An amplifier is only able to 'push' a signal through the losses connected to its' output port. Then, you need to consider the reality that all amplifiers add noise and distortion to the signal... as you see with the addition of 'snow' in the analog camera channels. Finally, there is more to signal quality than strength... consider the rattling fenders of a high powered sound system in the car sitting next to yours while waiting at a light.

The ANT-751R may or may not be up to the task for your reception situation. To test, run a single, known good coax from the antenna to a known good TV. The coax should be no longer than needed to be able to locate the TV in a safe accessible spot during the test. With a coax length of 50' or less, you'll have no more than 3 dB loss between the antenna and TV. No amplifier should be used, nor any splitter. With this test setup, how many stations (real channels) are received? Can you improve the overall situation by adjusting the aim of the antenna? (Consider adjusting the aim point 360° in 10° or even 5° steps, "Add-Scanning" after each adjustment.) Take notes that include landmarks so you can return the antenna to the best overall aim point when finished surveying the real reception situation.

When done, what call signs are you missing or having trouble with?

Finally, what channel numbers are you using to broadcast your cameras on? Have you tried other channel combinations?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Apr-2013 at 8:03 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2013, 2:15 AM   #3
Rickt1962

Thats what I kinda of figured.
Rickt1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2013, 3:49 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Good quality consumer grade modulators are only capable of a certain level of performance. Until you are willing to pay for the precision tuned commercial grade filters that would limit the output of the modulator to a single channels bandwidth, expect consumer grade modulators to emit RF on adjacent channels above and below the channel they're set to operate on.

This often means that a consumer grade modulator can interfere with reception of OTA channels. Simply turn the modulators off to test for interference form them. If you have interference originating from a modulator, try setting it to operate on a different channel.

Amplifiers compound this trouble because they can mix RF signals together, which produces interference on frequencies up and down the RF spectrum. Use no more amplification than needed, none being an ideal target if at all possible. To that end, a high gain antenna may secure enough signal power from the air to reduce or even eliminate the need for amplification.

For what it's worth, the OnQ Video Engine specifications for noise performance are quite poor compared to current competing distribution amplifiers. The OnQ was spec'd at 7 dB NF as compared to the Channel Master CM-341X series spec'd at 3 dB NF.

With signals coming at you from many directions, I'm curious if you would entertain the idea of using Home Theater PC technology and network attached tuners? The solution is complex and therefor not for everyone. But you would get a premium performance system that maximizes your reception capability. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

Last but not least, you have an ally in the FCC, http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule. They preempt the HOA and local governments that would try to tell you you can't have a TV antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Apr-2013 at 4:02 AM. Reason: HTPC option, OTARD
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote