TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Sep-2012, 3:13 AM   #1
Souptown

Interested in giving OTA a try

I'm interested in moving from cable to OTA and have some questions.

First, could you please recommend an antenna based on this report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2df938566b7600

Second, I'd like to connect 3-4 TVs. From what I've been reading, I think I may need an amplifier. Is this correct?

Finally, I need some antenna mounting advice. I'm a renter, so I can't make any permanent alterations to the roof. I've got an existing dish mast on the South side of my home. Would this work? I'm inferring from the report that I would need to point my antenna North-ish. Would it be optimal for the antenna to have enough height to clear the top of the roof? I may be able to clamp a mast to the bathroom stack which is closer to the center of the roof.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Don
Souptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-2012, 2:13 PM   #2
elmo

Don,

I did what you are considering and I haven't looked back. My advice is to take is slow. Don't immediately jump into an amp assuming it'll work for you. Try w/o first and see how it goes. When/if the signals start to drop, then you should look into boosting the strength. Boosting where you don't need it can cause issues that you wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm not a guru, but I think you're on the right track to point it north, but shooting from the south side of the home might be tricky if the view isn't clear. Clear sky is the best and buildings and trees can cause issues. The higher the antenna, the better. An antenna that's not too directional might do a good job of pulling in from those groups of channels, pointed NNW. I don't have a lot of antenna experience - maybe have tried out 8 or so. I like the little ANT-751, but I'd see what some others here would say. I have successfully installed that before where it could pick up a local UHF station off the backside that was about 15 miles out, while pointed 180 degrees from there at the majority of the towers.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-2012, 2:25 PM   #3
signals unlimited

Simple, effective DTV reception solutions

The mount on the South side of your home is of no value unless you can see over the top to face the North.

You can use the vent mount with a Terk HDTVo antenna pointing to 350 degrees magnetic.

A better option would be an RCA ANT751 antenna pointed to 350. It could be mount anywhere on the North side of your home, on anything over 12-15 feet off the ground and a clear view to the North.

To hook up four sets use a Channel Master 3414 distribution amplifier.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-2012, 5:36 PM   #4
Souptown

Thank you both very much for the replies. I'll chew on the info you gave me. I've got some logistical problems since the existing cable comes in on the South side. I've also got to figure out where on the North side to mount the antenna and how to bring power to the amp. But you've given me some great information. Thanks!

Don
Old 21-Sep-2012, 7:03 PM   #5
signals unlimited

The 3414 amp is a distribution amplifier that mounts and powers inside and serves as a splitter.

You can use an "F" barrel splicer to connect the coax from the new antenna to your existing dish coax. you must however remove all satellite splitters from your system and tie your lines into the new amplifier. It's easy!
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-2012, 9:16 PM   #6
teleview

The Digital Tv stations/channels are strong at your location.

Install a ANT751 so the antenna can be aimed at about 330 degree magnetic compass direction.

The ANT751 can be on the south end of the house , however the ANT751 MUST be mounted UP high in a manner that the roof is not blocking reception to the , north west , north , south east.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing.html.

The Digital Tv stations/channels are to the , north west , north , south east.

The ANT751 receives good at the front and front angles and back and back angles.
The ANT751 will receive the Strong Tv transmissions to the , north west , north , south east.

For 1 Tv connection use no splitter , use no antenna amplifier.

For 2 Tv's connected use a common simple 2 way splitter , use no antenna amplifier.

For 3 or 4 Tv's connected use a Channel Master CM3414 distribution amplifier.

As always trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

It is best to install the ANT751 at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channel' or Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Do not channel scan for cable tv channels.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com, http://www.amazon.com , http://www.channelmasterstore.com

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 5-Nov-2012 at 8:40 AM. Reason: Deleting off-topic content
Old 24-Sep-2012, 5:31 PM   #7
Souptown

Thanks signal unlimited and teleview!
Old 4-Nov-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Souptown

Update and Thanks again!!!

I've been installing in stages, when I've had time and money. First I got my ANT751 and two TVs hooked up. Then I bought and installed the distribution amp and power inserter, added a third TV and hooked up the coax for a fourth. There were a couple of channels that we wanted that were only coming in sporadically (KOFY and MeTV) so I adjusted my antenna aim a little today and was able pull those stations and not screw up the other ones I had. The last step will be to add the fourth TV when I buy another converter box. For less than two months cost of cable we are now receiving an excellent selection of 36 channels in English and Spanish (we're a bilingual household). If one of us learns Chinese or Vietnamese we'll get another dozen or so.

Thanks to all who replied for your help and thanks for a great and informative website!
Old 4-Nov-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
teleview

Excellent . No more cable Tv or satellite Tv bills.

If your cable Tv bill was $100.00 dollars a month , that's $1200.00 a year.

$2400.00 for 2 years.

$3600.00 for 3 years.

$4800.00 for 4 years.

And so forth.

Now that money is in your pocket.