TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Apr-2014, 1:21 AM   #1
rickwall2

Georgetown Ontario Canada - antenna advice

Hey group -

I am trying to help my son find an appropriate antenna for his location. I have found several installers in the area who could recommend an antenna but I would prefer to take the advice from the good people here.

The TV Fool report can be located at:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c66361aa3155

Thanks in advance for any help.
rickwall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2014, 2:21 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Consider the Antennas Direct DB2E or CS2 facing due east. (You may be able to include real CH-36 & 15 in the lineup by turning the antenna toward the SE.)

If you wish to include reception of CKCO on real CH-13, add an Antennacraft Y10713 + a UHF/VHF combiner such as the Radio Shack #15-2586. Point this antenna at 256° per a compass.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2014, 7:44 AM   #3
teleview

>=+

For reception of , Canada , USA , Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels install Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception reception in the directions of , East , South East , South , South West , both East.

Install a , Antennas Direct , DB8e , UHF antenna aimed at about 145 degree magnetic compass direction.

---------------

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone compass.

-------------

For reception of , CKCO , CTV , VHF high band channel 13 , install a , www.antennacraft.net , Y10-7-13 VHF high band antenna aimed at about 256 degree magnetic compass direction.

------------------

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , 10G221 preamp.

Connect the DB8e antenna to the UHF connection of the preamp.

Connect the Y10-7-13 antenna to the VHF connection of the preamp.

The FM radio interference trap will be in the , in/on position.

------------------

For 1Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

www.hollandelectronics.com

------------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2213) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

www.ronard.com

----------------

www.saveandreplay.com

www.tdlcanada.ca

www.trentondistributors.com
Old 30-Apr-2014, 2:36 PM   #4
Jake V

Smile

I have a question for the experts.

In this situation why would you not recommend an Antennas Direct DB8E, with one panel pointed at magnetic 99 degrees and the other panel pointed at about magnetic 168 to maybe get a few of the Buffalo stations (the CW and CBS stations are 9.5 dB or greater)?

And a separate VHF antenna for CFTO-9 pointed at magnetic 99 degrees (or, maybe pointing at magnetic 256 to get CKCO-13 and maybe CFTO-9 on the backside)?
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2014, 4:47 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Well Jake V & teleview are right, the DB8E is a better fit in this situation.

Thanks for weighing in.

Old 30-Apr-2014, 4:57 PM   #6
Jake V

LOL. This software is interesting. Teleview's post was not there when I made mine.

I will eventually post this elsewhere, but I have two questions about the DB8e:

1) If you point the two halves in different directions and those directions are less than 90 degrees, is there a DB gain difference if they point them out rather than in? That is, if the bowties are inside the corner rather than outside?

2) If you were to simply combine two UHF antennas you'd get horrible results. So what's so special about the DB8 that it works?

Thanks to all those who offer advice here. In the past year I've recommended this site to numerous people. Several individuals have taken advantage of the talent here.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2014, 5:32 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Yes, as the panel of the DB8E are adjusted away from a common aim point, the net gain decreases. At the same time, the forward beam width increases, which is the same as saying the antenna becomes less directional. In the less directional configuration, you can expect less multipath rejection, a common problem with any combined set of antennas that are aimed in different directions. The DB8E is not unique or magical...

If you take two identical 4-bay panel antennas and combine them properly, they form an 8-bay panel antenna. The DB8E is optimized for covering real UHF channels 14 through 51 so it has a bit better performance than older designs which were intended to cover up to real channel 69.

Old 30-Apr-2014, 6:24 PM   #8
rickwall2

Many thanks to GroundUrMast and Teleview for their time and information. This will really help in making a decision.
rickwall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2014, 7:00 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I'd suggest aiming both panels at Buffalo. That gives you maximum gain on the weakest signals and you should be able to pick up the CN Tower signals on the first side lobe of the DB8e. See the tech data sheet on the DB8e product page to visualize.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2014, 7:57 PM   #10
teleview

+=>

A way to reduce the horiable results of combining 2 identical antennas that are aimed in varring degrees of seperate directions with common Direct Wire reversed 2 way splitter is use a more specialized type of splitter.

-------

In the old days the name was Hybrid Splitter.

A decoupled splitter.

A microstripline decoupled splitter.

A capacitor decoupled splitter.

A isolation transformers decoupled splitter.

A modified directional coupler.

The coaxes that connect the coupler/splitter to the seperate identical antennas will be the same length.

The identical antennas will be close to each other to reduce the out of phase signal reflections of the 2 antennas situation.

This type of antenna combining worked ~ Ok ~ with Analog Tv reception and works better with Digital Tv reception because Digital Tv reception because the Digital tuner can correct out of phase (multi-path) up to a certain point.

-----------------

The DB8e antenna has a wide beam width even with both panels aimed the same direction.

The Canada Digital Tv stations to the East are Strong Signal Strength.

The USA Tv stations to the South East at about 145 degree magnetic compass direction are Very Weak Signal Strength.

Aim both panels of the DB8e antenna at about 145 degree magnetic compas direction for the best reception of the the USA Tv stations.

And the Wide beam width of the DB8e antenna will most likely receive the Strong Signal Strength Canada Tv stations to the East.

Last edited by teleview; 1-May-2014 at 7:51 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.