TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-May-2014, 2:41 AM   #1
zonaman

Loose connection better reception?

Hi there:

Here’s my signal analysis.

I currently have a digital tv and a non digital tv, on a converter, sharing a signal from a roof mount GE Futura antenna, facing roughly northeast. The set on the converter is using a booster. Here’s where it gets weird: If I screw the cable into the digital set all the way the reception on both sets disappears. If I just place the coaxial fitting on the digital set without screwing it in I get fairly good reception on both sets. If I eliminate the set on the converter, I can screw the cable into the digital tv and reception is very good. That drives me nuts. Why does this occur?
The biggest reception problems I have are pixilation and breakup and “no signal”

At any rate, I’m about to eliminate the set on the converter box and I will have 2 digital HD sets sharing the above described antenna. What would be the best set up for me in this new situation?

Thank you.
zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-May-2014, 2:53 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

If I recall correctly, the GE Futura has a built-in amplifier... Your predicted signal levels in the air would suggest an amplifier could be overloaded. A booster in line is going to grossly over amplify the signals and leave you with distorted and unusable signal.

A compact antenna such as the non-amplified Antennas Direct C2V or Antennacraft HBU-11 or RCA ANT-751R would be a far better match for your signal conditions. The signal power in the air is well above the minimum needed to drive a passive 2, 3 or 4-way splitter.

Even a cheap rabbit ear style antenna would be better than any amplified option I can think of.

At least try removing the booster, completely.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-May-2014, 3:02 AM   #3
zonaman

Thank you. Rabbit ears were an early option the didn't work well, hence the current setup. When I removed the booster both sets loose reception. Now that I think of it, the booster was included with the GE Futura so I just used it from the get go.

Last edited by zonaman; 2-May-2014 at 3:08 AM.
Old 2-May-2014, 6:37 AM   #4
teleview

+=>

Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , South East , North West , East , North East.

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU11K antenna aimed at about 118 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone compass.

-----------

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

-----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a , 4 way sitter.

---------------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the HBU11K antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

------------

To prove reception connect a , NEW Continues Length of Coax to the antenna and run the NEW Continues Length of Coax through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv.

No splitters , No couplers , No etc. .
Old 2-May-2014, 6:45 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonaman View Post
Thank you. Rabbit ears were an early option the didn't work well, hence the current setup. When I removed the booster both sets loose reception. Now that I think of it, the booster was included with the GE Futura so I just used it from the get go.
Ah... I'm fairly confident that the 'booster' you've mentioned is actually not an amplifier (AKA 'booster') but a power supply for the amplifier that's built-into the outdoor antenna assembly. Most amplified antennas will pass very little signal, virtually none, if the power is disconnected.

Indoor reception may be very poor, if you have wire reinforced stucco, foil-faced insulation or any other signal blocking/reflecting building materials.

I'd suggest you try one of the outdoor antenna options we've offered above.

My theory about the symptoms you've described is that either:

1) The antenna power supply is being shorted out when the cable is fully connected to the tuner. This would suggest that the splitter is installed in the wrong location. The splitter should be down stream of the power supply for the antenna. If needed, move the power supply to a location between the antenna and splitter.

2) The antenna power supply is disconnected and the antenna is inactive when the cable is loose... And the the loose cable connection allows signal on the outside of the coax to enter the tuner. If there is enough signal power in the air, that a loose wire stuck into the tuner connector gives marginal reception, you don't need or want an amplified antenna (which is already obvious from your TV Fool report).

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-May-2014 at 8:00 AM. Reason: A theory re. the 'loose connection'
Old 2-May-2014, 9:03 AM   #6
zonaman

Thank you for your patience as I'm quite new at all this. I now know the difference between a booster and a power supply! You mentioned signal blocking materials. My entire home is covered with aluminum siding- that would explain the poor indoor reception. Lots of tall trees in my location too. My splitter is indeed currently ahead of power supply for the antenna and that may take a bit of doing to correct as the splitter is located in a crawl space under the buidling. While I can easily access it, there's no power down there. I won't be able to get down there soon (recovering from surgery) so I'll have plenty of time to consider options. Easiest solution: eliminate the need for antenna power. Seems like the suggested antennas don't require power but I'll ask: Do the antennas you suggested not need a power supply? Will they require grounding?

Last edited by zonaman; 2-May-2014 at 9:22 AM.
Old 2-May-2014, 3:26 PM   #7
teleview

+=>

Disconnet and Remove All amplified antennas.

Disconnet and Remove All parts of any amplified antenna.

Disconnect and Remove the power supply/power injector.

Disconnect and Remove any and all parts of any preamplifier.

Disconnect and Remove All distribution amplifiers.

Disconnect and Remove any and all antenna system amplifiers and any and all parts of antenna system amplifiers.

----------------

Replace outside coax with New RG-6 coax that has the Compression type connectors on the ends of the coax , not the crimp type connectors.

The best way to do coax wiring after the test with a Continues length of coax is.

Have 1 splitter with the correct number of outputs to the Tv locations and run a coax from each output of the splitter to the Tv location.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a 4 way splitter.

Last edited by teleview; 2-May-2014 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 2-May-2014, 9:04 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

If you replace the Futura with any of the antennas I've suggested, no power will be needed, and the splitter can stay were it is.

I would recommend that any outdoor mounted antenna be grounded properly. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901 See post # 20 for a summary.

Old 2-May-2014, 9:56 PM   #9
zonaman

OK, Think I've got it. I'll post again when it's all redone. Thanks to all of you.

Last edited by zonaman; 2-May-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 15-May-2014, 3:01 AM   #10
zonaman

Here's how it went: I put an HBU11 up there and was only able to scan about 35 channels as opposed to the GE Futura which scanned over 60. Splitting the signal the signal on the Futura resulted in situation orgianlly described and it was worse with HBU11. So I returned the HBU11 and got a second Futura. Now both sets (each with it's own antenna) scan over 60 channels . Go figure. Thanks again for your inputlooks like it under control now.