TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jul-2012, 9:39 PM   #1
5u4

Want to move up from an Up 7

I have a Denny's Up 7 now about 11' above the ground & pointed at 165° true azimuth with 20' of RG6 direct to the TV. I have some trees next to my property which is the only obstruction I'm aware of. While I have good overall reception, I have some random drop outs & would like more solid reception. WXPX-TV 42 (66.1) ION seems to drop out more than some others, though they're all prone to occasional drop outs from time to time. What antenna would you recommend? Thanks.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...990072f6212aad

Last edited by 5u4; 7-Jul-2012 at 3:31 AM.
5u4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jul-2012, 9:53 PM   #2
Electron

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

Please post a Live and Active tvfool radar plot report with the Exact address and the antenna height at 25 feet not the default 10 feet antenna height.

The - Picture - of the tvfool report you have posted is Dead , can't do any thing with it.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4.

What are the problem channels??

Identify as an example like this , WUFT-DT Real channel 36 PBS.

The tvfool list shows the Real and Actual channels that are transmitted and received.

And the Virtual channels.

Last edited by Electron; 6-Jul-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jul-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
signals unlimited

DTV/cell phone reception advise and products

Even at the default heigth the UP7 is more than enough antenna to hold reception on the channels you are receiving with drop out conditions.

Your problem could be in your matching transformer or connections somewhere in your coax. If you do a temporary hook up with a new transformer and coax all the way to the DTV set you can eliminate this as a possible source of your problem.

If your set has a signal meter check the level. If it is low or below 50% then perhaps an antenna change or an amplifier add on is in order. If it is high or 70-90% and is still droping out the antenna is not your problem.

Many other things can cause these drop outs, but the most common interference is electrical in nature. Many of the electrical interference issues can be resolved by proper grounding of your coax with a ground block connected to your electric service ground.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jul-2012, 1:51 AM   #4
5u4

I changed the balun that came with the Up7 to a Chanel Master balun & it didn't seem to make any difference in reception. My RG6 is several years old, so there might be an issue there with the outdoor connector or something, will have to change it out for brand new. I recently grounded the antenna roof mount mast to a grounding block which is grounded near the electric service box, this didn't seem to make any difference in reception though. Just figured since all the stations I want are around 57 miles away, a larger antenna would be in order?
Old 7-Jul-2012, 2:16 AM   #5
Electron

I can help.

Please provide the requested information. Thanks
Old 7-Jul-2012, 2:32 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Finish eliminating the easy / inexpensive possibilities, ie. the coax and matching transformer.

Next eliminate interference from equipment in your home (test by disconnecting the power to electronic equipment). Grounding the coax shield is a good idea, but it won't stop the antenna from receiving interference. The most effective way to deal with interference is to stop it from being generated. If you cant do that, then you'll need to find a way to put distance between the antenna and the interference generating device.

Still not fixed? Trees can be quite troublesome. Can you relocate the antenna to avoid the trees? If not, can you consider increasing the mounting elevation? A pushup type mast may help. Example: http://www.3starinc.com/telescopic_masts_and_more.html When you click on the call sign of stations listed on your TV Fool report, you are shown a 'path profile'. In Florida it's rare to see much blocking terrain show up. In such circumstances, additional mounting height often produces more improvement in signal quality than switching to a larger antenna. (Though there are exceptions.)

Finally, if you have no alternative, then I'd consider going to a larger antenna such as the Winegard HD7698P.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-Jul-2012 at 2:43 AM. Reason: contrast mounting height vs antenna size.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jul-2012, 2:58 AM   #7
Electron

The HD7698P antenna is a - Extremely Directional - antenna in the forward direction.

Your location has receivable Tv stations to the south and north.

If the HD7698P antenna is aimed to the south , the possible adjacent channel and co-channel interference from the north Tv stations/channels will be reduced or eleminated.

I can help.

Please provide the requested information. Thanks

The problem channels can be dealt with.

Last edited by Electron; 7-Jul-2012 at 6:29 PM.
Old 7-Jul-2012, 3:49 AM   #8
5u4

Electron: I changed the radar plot in my first post to 25', though the antenna is 11' from the ground.

WXPX-TV 42 (66.1) ION maybe seems to drop out &/or pixelate more so than some of the other channels.

The antenna is pointed at 165° true azimuth SSE, as most of the channels are at that one general location. I don't bother with the channels to the north.

The HD7698P is huge & maybe more than I have room for, will have to research the size a bit more on that one, what about a HD7697P?

The trees aren't going anywhere as there's many acres of trees there & all around for that matter. Thanks.
Old 7-Jul-2012, 5:31 AM   #9
Electron

Well Ok , no interest in the Tv stations/channels to the North.

For better reception of the Tv stations/channels to the south with less interference from the Tv stations/channels to the north.

Install a HD76987P antenna or a HD7698P antenna with a starting aim at about 180 degree magnetic compass.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Installing the antenna higher will mean less signal reduction and interference from tress or buildings to the south.

Here is the Federal Antenna Law that says Yes you can install and use and maintain a antenna above the roof.
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the soildsignal search box.

http://www.solidsignal.com.

You can try the HD7697P or HD7698P antenna at 11 feet above ground.

The HD7697P or HD7698P antennas can be turned to the south/west and south/east to find a antenna aim position that produces the best reception of the Tv stations/channels to the , south/west , south , south/east.

Here are places to buy antennas and ect. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Last edited by Electron; 8-Jul-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 7-Jul-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
signals unlimited

DTV/cell phone reception advice and products

Do you have a signal strength meter in your DTV menu? If so and the level is in the high range an antenna change may not help. The UHF part of the UP7 a corner reflector and very similar to the UHF part of some of the larger antennas. If you need more signal just add a pre-amplifier. I use the Winegard AP8700.

GroundYourMast recommendations for eliminating electrical interference may lead you to the problem.

Antennas Direct techs also have many tips on interference elimination.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 3:33 AM   #11
5u4

No SS meter on my set, but I did move the antenna due south & picked up one more channel, WFTT. It's a Spanish language channel & have little or no use for it, but maybe have a better overall antenna orientation? With a due south antenna orientation, I have room for just about any length antenna. With it pointed at 165° like it was, the rear of a long antenna would touch the roof of the house, but pointed due south, it won't. Thanks.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
signals unlimited

The long antennas that are being recommended and your UP7 are long because they are VHF/UHF. You only have two channel to your South that are VHF, real channel 7 and 12, so most of that length is wasted. If you need more antenna, in your case less is more, you need an antenna that is focused on UHF gain not length.

I will do some research and post back with a strong UHF with enough VHF to still receive real channels 7 and 12.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 8-Jul-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
signals unlimited

A very strong UHF antenna with enough VHF to receive real channels 7 and 12 is
Digitenna DUV extreme. It is available at Cumberland Electronics. 888-501-9658.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 8-Jul-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 2:29 PM   #14
Billiam

It seems to me that if the OP is only interested in the stations at compass heading 164 and 165 degrees that the signal dropout problem may be due to multipath. Given that something like the Antennacraft HBU 33 or HBU44 would be ideal for a single antenna solution. Both seem to be larger than the UP7. The Winegard 7697 or 7698 certainly would work too but seem like overkill unless he wants to start obtaining fringe or deep fringe signals.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2012, 2:48 PM   #15
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
Real channels 7 NBC and 12 FOX are at 167 degrees and I doubt the OP wants to give these up.
2 degrees won't matter with the HBU 33 or HBU 44. Not sure the Digitenna has enough gain on VHF to obtain a reliable signal for these VHF channels though. Don't know enough about that antenna.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 2:52 PM   #16
signals unlimited

The gain of the Digitenna at high V is average 2.5 dbd. That should be plenty.

http://digitenna.com/SpecSheets.pdf

Last edited by signals unlimited; 8-Jul-2012 at 3:59 PM.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 3:27 PM   #17
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u4 View Post
I have a Denny's Up 7 now about 11' above the ground & pointed at 165° true azimuth with 20' of RG6 direct to the TV. I have some trees next to my property which is the only obstruction I'm aware of. While I have good overall reception, I have some random drop outs & would like more solid reception. WXPX-TV 42 (66.1) ION seems to drop out more than some others, though they're all prone to occasional drop outs from time to time. What antenna would you recommend? Thanks.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...990072f6212aad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u4 View Post
No SS meter on my set, but I did move the antenna due south & picked up one more channel, WFTT. It's a Spanish language channel & have little or no use for it, but maybe have a better overall antenna orientation? With a due south antenna orientation, I have room for just about any length antenna. With it pointed at 165° like it was, the rear of a long antenna would touch the roof of the house, but pointed due south, it won't. Thanks.
I agree, this sounds like multipath or tree induced interference, which is why I suggested that before replacing the antenna, other simple and inexpensive trouble causes be eliminated.

If needed, and if possible, relocate the antenna.

Only as a last resort would I replace the antenna. 'On paper' the UP-7 should be doing the job. If I replaced an antenna in good working order for theses symptoms, I would use a larger, not smaller antenna. I'd be trying to get additional directivity and gain, not less.

@5u4, has the aim adjustment solved the problem?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2012, 3:40 PM   #18
signals unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I agree, this sounds like multipath or tree induced interference, which is why I suggested that before replacing the antenna, other simple and inexpensive trouble causes be eliminated.

If needed, and if possible, relocate the antenna.

Only as a last resort would I replace the antenna. 'On paper' the UP-7 should be doing the job. If I replaced an antenna in good working order for theses symptoms, I would use a larger, not smaller antenna. I'd be trying to get additional directivity and gain, not less.

@5u4, has the aim adjustment solved the problem?
Larger in size is not always larger in gain.

The Digitenna has 13.5 dbd gain on your problematic channel. Much larger than your UP7 and is more directional. That is why I recommended it for your situation.

Don't be fooled by physical size. This recommendation fits the need.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 8-Jul-2012 at 6:44 PM.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 3:50 PM   #19
Billiam

The Digitenna is a very expensive antenna for this application. 2.5 dbi gain translates to virtually no gain in dbd. Thus, I have to believe that the gain is 2.5dbd and not dbi. 2.5 dbd is not a lot of gain for a signal in yellow. It would be adequate for a VHF signal in green.
Old 8-Jul-2012, 3:58 PM   #20
signals unlimited

Correction the Digitenna gain is in dbd. And it is very well built but expensive.