TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Sep-2014, 1:17 PM   #1
BuffaloAntenna

Antenna Recommendation

Hello, I'm looking to "cut-the-cord" with my cable company and possibly use an antenna for OTA reception.

Here's my Map:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2430111d15305

My plan is to get movies using a streaming service like NetFlix and/or Hulu (with Roku). So my goal for the antenna would be to get the major broadcast stations like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS so I could watch live prime-time TV shows.

I have a 2 story house and my preference would be to mount the antenna in my attic (if possible) to avoid climbing on the roof. I have vinyl siding on the exterior of my house.

I'm really new to this so I don't know where to start. I have a HD TV and an old non-HD TV in the basement by the treadmill.

Any antenna recommendations and any other equipment I would need would be highly appreciated?

Thank you.
BuffaloAntenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2014, 1:43 PM   #2
lets go red

I'm still new here, but looking at that, a simple, inexpensive set top bunny ear-loop combo or a "leaf" style antenna looks to be all that's needed.

Last edited by lets go red; 20-Sep-2014 at 1:45 PM.
lets go red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2014, 4:25 PM   #3
timgr

Not one of the industry folks here, but maybe I can say something helpful.

If you want to put the antenna in your attic, the results become less predictable. Being enclosed in the building will attenuate the signal to some degree - and the materials in the roof, and any other obstructions and sources of interference within the house will be mixed in to the total equation.

That said, your reception environment is pretty favorable. You can probably do the attic installation, but roof installations are always less risky and will work better. Attic installations can be dicey.

If it were for me, I would measure the area available for the antenna in the attic. You might be able to use something like the RCA ANT751 in the attic and point it at either 300 or 171 and pick up 171 or 300 off the back side. That should get the major networks from Buffalo.

If it were me, and it would fit in the attic, I would use a UHF-only Antennas Direct DB8e and point one panel at 150ish and the other at 300ish. Probably overkill...

If you want WBBZ or CFTO on VHF, you could add another antenna and mix the signals.

Last edited by timgr; 20-Sep-2014 at 4:36 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2014, 7:04 PM   #4
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
If it were me, and it would fit in the attic, I would use a UHF-only Antennas Direct DB8e and point one panel at 150ish and the other at 300ish. Probably overkill...

If you want WBBZ or CFTO on VHF, you could add another antenna and mix the signals.
That's what I would do, but I'd put it on the roof or preferably the chimney. Add the optional dipole kit to one of the panels for WBBZ and combine with a UVSJ. Antennas Direct makes all of it, and I believe the dipole kit includes the UVSJ.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2014, 7:47 PM   #5
Jake V

It looks like you have a good potential for a half dozen or so channels from Toronto. You might consider whether you want to receive them, as they would fairly easy to receive and a good way to supplement your viewing choices. I recommend indicating this before the experts offer suggestions for antenna, as the suggestions will be different with and without the Canadian stations (especially if you're into hockey).
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2014, 9:56 PM   #6
BuffaloAntenna

Wow, thanks for everyone's response. This TVFool service/Forum is a great resource.

I'm not opposed to placing the Antenna on the roof or chimney. Also, if I could get the "half dozen or so channels from Toronto" I would strongly consider that too.

Thanks.
Old 21-Sep-2014, 4:28 AM   #7
StephanieS

Not at all, it's what I would have suggested.

If installing in an attic going more aggressive is often just fine to compensate for the loss of signal from penetrating through your roof. Plus the DB8e gives a fine ability to adjust each panel for both the priority headings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post

StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Oct-2014, 1:31 PM   #8
BuffaloAntenna

I purchased the DB8e antenna and installed it in my attic. It's working good; I'm getting all the major network channels that I wanted.

Do I need to be concerned with loosing reception in the winter if I have snow/ice on the roof with the antenna in the attic (I'm in Buffalo, NY = lots of snow)?

If there are any issues with snow/ice, I could install the antenna on the roof (I got my wife's approval ) and maybe I would get a couple extra stations from Toronto (like CityTV)?

Also, if I install a splitter for reception on a 2nd or 3rd TV, do I need an amplifier? I'm not sure I understand the difference between an amplifier and a pre-Amplifier? Is there a difference? Is there one you recommend?

Lastly, I did splurge and get the ChannelMaster DVR+. It was a little expensive, but I like the program guide and I'm able to record all the tv shows that I watch.

Thanks for you responses!
Old 16-Oct-2014, 3:25 PM   #9
tomfoolery

I purchased the DB8e antenna and installed it in my attic. It's working good; I'm getting all the major network channels that I wanted.

Do I need to be concerned with loosing reception in the winter if I have snow/ice on the roof with the antenna in the attic (I'm in Buffalo, NY = lots of snow)? I don't lose anything with heavy snow, and I'm in Rochester. I 'oversized' mine on purpose, because the DB4e is in the attic and looking through asphalt shingle roofing, which is a poor location, but the local channels come in solid always.

If there are any issues with snow/ice, I could install the antenna on the roof (I got my wife's approval ) and maybe I would get a couple extra stations from Toronto (like CityTV)? In your situation, I'd do that anyway, especially with pre-approval from the spouse.

Also, if I install a splitter for reception on a 2nd or 3rd TV, do I need an amplifier? I'm not sure I understand the difference between an amplifier and a pre-Amplifier? Is there a difference? Is there one you recommend? I'm betting you wouldn't need it, especially if the antenna is moved to the roof/chimney. But a passive splitter is cheap, and if you lose stations you had before adding the splitter, you could easily put a powered distribution amp in its place.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote