TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Mar-2016, 1:57 PM   #1
Photo848

Help with Reception - Central NJ

I have been using an OTA antenna mounted on my roof for about 3 years and for the most part the signal I receive is fairly good. On occasion I have some channels drop out but I believe it to be mostly from atmospheric conditions as they tend to come back. I am pointed to NYC and receive most of the stations there. In addition I capture a few channels from Philadelphia I assume off the back end of my antenna. I consider this a bonus.

I have Winegard HD 7084P Antenna with a Winegard AP8700 pre-amp. My cable is a 75 foot run into the house where it meets the pre-amp power module then goes to a 4 way splitter. 3 of those runs from the splitter are between 40 to 60 feet to the TV's and the 4th is a 2 foot run. As mentioned I generally get okay reception. Here is a link to my mapping -> http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5134e741080622

Now to my questions:

I recently added an HDHomerun Connect device to the system hoping to stream the TV signals to a media player. I first used the the two foot run from the 4 way splitter and was having trouble receiving channels through the media player. I noticed that some of the channels I was having trouble with had signal strength readings of 78-84%. So I went to a 2 way splitter immediately from the pre-amp power module and ran one line to the HDHomerun device and the other to the 4 way splitter. The TV's from the 4 way splitter still perform as the did prior to this change and the signal to the HDHomerun device improved to a signal strength of 86-92% on most channels. However I am confused as to why as an example, channel 4.1 comes in great on my HDHomerun device but channel 4.2 which is on the same frequency breaks up and pixelates, I should mention that I don't see this as a problem on the normal TV's. Is there anything I can do to improve the signal any more? Someone suggested using a Winegard LNA-100 amplifier between the 2 way splitter and the HDHomerun device, would this work? If not are there any other suggestions you might have.

If you need any additional information please let me know.

Thanks!
Photo848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2016, 3:58 PM   #2
shoman94

I'm assuming you have this aimed right at 88 degrees magnetic?

Also is that report accurate in that your antenna is only 10ft AGL?

I would try the HDHomerun directly to see if that solves your problem. If it does then you likely just need to add a drop amplifier such as or similar to:
4-Port drop amplifier.

Use that in place of the passive splitter.

Some tuners are more sensitive than others unfortunately.

Last edited by shoman94; 8-Mar-2016 at 4:02 PM.
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2016, 4:04 PM   #3
Photo848

Thanks Shoman94 for the suggestion however I should have mentioned that where the 4 way splitter is I don't have the ability to supply it power which is why it was suggested that I use the Winegard LNA-100 amplifier. Do you know if this would work in the same manner as the amplifier you suggested?

Thanks!
Old 8-Mar-2016, 4:09 PM   #4
shoman94

I don't have any experience doing that. If you'll notice, the drop amplifier is fed via coax so the power source doesn't have to be right there.... You can run a coax from the power source.
Old 8-Mar-2016, 6:37 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The LNA100 requires power in its immediate vicinity. It's a "line" amp, not a pre- or distribution amp.

Distribution amps can usually be remote powered, just order and use the optional power inserter. The amp's instruction manual usually has the instructions.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 8-Mar-2016 at 6:39 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2016, 7:19 PM   #6
Photo848

Is there a difference in the function of a line amp versus a pre or distribution amp? If I was just looking to increase the signal for the HDHomerun device would the line amp provide that functionality or is it better to use a distribution amp? Since I already have a pre-amp at the antenna is there any harm in also having either a line or distribution amp?
Old 8-Mar-2016, 7:31 PM   #7
shoman94

Buy adding amps you're increasing noise. Using a preamp and drop amp together is fine if its needed.
If it works with the HDHR directly connected then adding the drop amp is cheap enough and should solve you problem.
Otherwise you may have other things going on like alignment or antenna height or needing a stronger antenna.
Old 8-Mar-2016, 7:42 PM   #8
Photo848

I appreciate your help. I will try the line amp first and see how that goes.

Thanks!
Old 8-Mar-2016, 7:54 PM   #9
shoman94

I would say you're welcome but I didn't help you.