TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Feb-2017, 3:33 AM   #1
bschmidt25

Antenna Recommendations - PHX

Hi All-

Looking for antenna recommendations for my location just west of Phoenix. I'm planning on installing an antenna outside on the back of my house facing toward the transmitters. We are not that far distance wise from them - about 20 miles. Unfortunately, there are mountains in between us, starting about a mile away. I know some cord cutters have been able to make it work, but it depends on where exactly you are. Looking for recommendations as I don't really know where to start.

Here's my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4462c0dab63

Thanks!
bschmidt25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2017, 4:34 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The terrain between you and the transmitters is quite significant. Here's what I would do if in your situation...

I'd go into this a an experiment, knowing that I may end up disappointed with the results.

I'd start be trying a Winegard HD7698P (which covers all of the channels that are plausibly available at this location).

Begin by connecting the antenna to a single TV using a coax cable not longer than 50'. This gives you a test set-up that is somewhat portable (though the 7698P is a big antenna) that you can hunt for the best position on your property for a permanent installation.

Be open to trying both high and very low locations. Also, experiment with slight tipping of the the antenna. In some cases, tipping the antenna up so that it points toward the peak of the obstructing terrain proves beneficial.

You position is not hopeless, but don't be surprised if you need to compromise on mounting location and some channels may be more challenging than others.

Once you have found the best location, accessories such as a splitter and pre-amplifier can be considered.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 26-Feb-2017 at 4:36 PM. Reason: sp / grammar
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote