TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Aug-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
hurely

Installed first antenna, reception is hit or miss

Hello.

I recently cut my tv subscription and decided to install an antenna. I installed a RCA ANT751 antenna on my roof about 15 feet high. I also installed a RCA TVPRAMP1R Preamplifier right next to the antenna. My cable then runs about 100 ft to my tv.

Some of the channels come in very clear with a strong signal such as channel KGO (7.1) and KNTV (11.1). KTVU (2.1) is also pretty good.

My main issue is channel KPIX (5.1). One night the signal was watchable, other than that the signal is usually very weak or non existent.

I have my antenna pointed at 301 degrees. Any Advice for me? Seems that many of the channels come from Sutro Tower so i'mnot sure why 5.1 would be weaker than the others.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2fbac6f0a870
hurely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Loose the amplifier, first off. You don't need it and it's an invitation to more trouble.

After that, move the antenna, several times, if necessary. As it happens, you've got the antenna in a dead spot for that particular stations. Signals , even from the same tower, are not homogeneous.

If there are obstacles in front of the antenna such as buildings, trees, etc, be patient and persistent. Try to find a spot that gives you the best available view towards the horizon in the direction of Sutro.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
teleview

+=>

The signal reception strengths are Strong Signal Strengths at your reception location and are LOS=Line Of Sight.

A antenna system amplifier is Not required at your reception location.

The signal strengths are strong and a Antenna System Amplifier Can Actually Make Reception Worse.

Install the ANT751 antenna above the roof in such a manner that the , attic , roof , building , are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , West , North West , North , East , South East.

-------------------------------

Aim the ANT751 antenna at about 301 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a , cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

Also to assist with the Best reception , most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

Most likely , the reception situations/problems are also caused by , defective matching transformer (balun) , defective coax , defective connectors , defective connections , defective couplers , defective etc.

Also remove All satellite system components , Yes the Coaxes of the satellite system can be used for the antenna system.

Also the ANT751 antenna and coaxes the make up the ANT751 antenna system Must Not be connected to any active cable system coaxes , not cable tv , not cable internet service , not cable phone service.

Any type or kind of cable delivered service must be on a separate coax.

----------------------------------------------

As a->Test<->to Prove Reception.

Remove the matching transformer (balun) from the ANT751 antenna.

Connect a NEW Matching Transformer (Balun) to the ANT751 antenna.

Connect a NEW Continues Length of Coax to the New matching transformer (balun) , and run the New Continues length of coax through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv.

No couplers.

No ground block coupler.

No splitters.

No nothing.

--------------

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

Also know this.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own , attic , roof , building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions in the directions of reception in the directions of reception.

At your location that is , West , North West , North , East , South East.

----------------

What is reception like now??
Old 25-Aug-2014, 2:08 AM   #4
hurely

I initially tried it without the amp and didn't pick up any channels.

Can you clarify on my antenna being in a dead spot? Do you mean where I live or just where it is mounted right now? Is that something you can tell by my report?
hurely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

If you didn't pick up anything without the amp, something is either defective (antenna or coax or installation) or the actual antenna's location is blocked or otherwise impaired. Your chart says your signals, including KPIX, are about a million times stronger than the minimum of what should be needed for reception, even with a 100' coax run.

What is in the direction of of Sutro as seen by the antenna? Are you in a well, behind a building or trees, etc???

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2014, 5:39 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurely View Post
I initially tried it without the amp and didn't pick up any channels.

Can you clarify on my antenna being in a dead spot? Do you mean where I live or just where it is mounted right now? Is that something you can tell by my report?
The ANT-751 should have no problem producing plenty of signal with no amplifier in the system... Enough to drive several TV tuners using a passive splitter. Your description of the situation suggests that there may be one or more bad connections, a bad matching transformer, cable or even a problem with your tuner.

Your TV Fool report lists many strong signals. The potential for a dead spot can be very localized. Try moving the antenna, even a few inches may prove to be enough. Be patient, try changing height and location.

Consider this simple test... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646 With just the antenna, a short cable and tuner, you should see dozens of channels reliably.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote