TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-May-2017, 12:52 AM   #21
Bsean0714

When programmING the tuner on my tv I noticed it had option for Air or Cable or auto. If I put on auto it brings up drop down menus that say digital cable system and analog cable system with three options for each : Std, hrc and irc. With the antenna about 5 ft off ground temporarily and tied into existing direct tv cable with amplifier on the antenna side, I am getting around 60 channels on HRC. What IS HRC? This is also with the power inserter going in to an old splitter I have. It seems only one side of splitter is working though. The splitter says 5-900mhz but looks very cheap. I also hooked the power inserter up to my existING SWIM splitter and got a few channels but not all I needed. I knew it was along shot as it is an 8 way splitter. I am really blown away with getting 60 channels 50 miles away with the ClearSteam.
Bsean0714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-2017, 1:14 AM   #22
Bsean0714

What is the difference in STD, HRC, and IRC when tuning on the TV? I have found that HRC brings in about 30 more channels. I mounted temporarily outside near Direct TV 8 way splitter. Thought I'd just hook the amp up on antenna side and see what would happen. I got most all channels on front tv and 30 on a TV with 75' or rg6 ran to it. I am blown away as I hope that if I try 3-4 way splitter, it may feed the entire house.
Old 31-May-2017, 1:14 AM   #23
Bsean0714

Oops thought my previous post didn't post so I repeated most of it.
Old 31-May-2017, 2:20 AM   #24
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...ble_television

Just set the TV on digital - air for use with an antenna and you're good to go.

Recommend you replace the Directv SWiM splitter with a conventional splitter with the correct number of outputs. That way, you know exactly what you have.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 31-May-2017 at 2:22 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-2017, 12:56 PM   #25
Bsean0714

Anyone had any success with Rocketfish amplified 4 way splitter? Would I use this with the rca amplifier with power inserter that I got from Walmart?
Old 31-May-2017, 6:22 PM   #26
Tower Guy

In most cases the use of two amplifiers makes things worse.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jun-2017, 3:18 AM   #27
Bsean0714

I need a 4 way splitter with amplifier that will reduce signal loss from splitter and coax run. How do the amplified splitters receive power. The one I have looked at before have had what looks like a coax input for power. Also, do preamplifiers actually increase signal from your antenna or just reduce signal loss?
Old 12-Jun-2017, 10:34 PM   #28
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

A Channel Master 3414 is an amplifier and 4-way splitter in one unit.

It can receive power in two ways. If an AC outlet is near the amp you would connect the power from the transformer to the upper left connector. If there is no AC power near the 3414, you can send power to the 3414 through the coax line connected to the lower left connector using a power inserter.

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-Jun-2017 at 10:43 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2017, 2:49 AM   #29
Bsean0714

I got my channel master 4 way splitter and have tried on 3 of the 4 TV's. I am getting everything I need except fox is not getting through on any of my TV's. Do y'all think I should go back to 2 or 3 way channel master and add another antenna?

Last edited by Bsean0714; 10-Jul-2017 at 3:03 AM.
Old 10-Jul-2017, 3:06 AM   #30
Bsean0714

Nbc and ABC are 84 on signal strength indicator on TV. Cbs in the 60's but no pixelation so far but nothing from Fox. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 10-Jul-2017, 5:54 PM   #31
ADTech

Quote:
...but no pixelation so far but nothing from Fox. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
but no pixelation so far but nothing from Fox. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Probably need to move the antenna and try again. You probably will need a larger, stronger UHF antenna with a properly selected preamp up there on the roof.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Last edited by ADTech; 10-Jul-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-Jul-2017, 6:18 PM   #32
Bsean0714

We hich antenna would u suggest if I make a change? And which preamp?
Old 10-Jul-2017, 6:57 PM   #33
ADTech

A word of caution: If you simply change the antenna and what-not without MOVING it and locating a GOOD location, the odds are high that the replacement antenna will also exhibit the same symptom. You need to do your troubleshooting as prescribed, otherwise, you're far more likely to end up frustrated after having spent considerable time and money.

That said, if we were starting from scratch, my recommendation would be for a DB4e with VHF kit, the Juice preamplifier, a passive splitter, plus a suitable mast/mount and RG6 coax as needed. Test reception using only TEMPORARY mounting, do not drill any holes until you have satisfactorily demonstrated reception.

Old 10-Jul-2017, 8:01 PM   #34
Bsean0714

Thanks, yeah I just assumed because I had good reception below the mounted spot that 20 ft up in air in same direction would work the same. I wonder how the DBE would do in attic facing same direction which would only go through plywood and siding.
Old 10-Jul-2017, 9:12 PM   #35
Bsean0714

Can the Juice be used in conjunction with my channelmaster 4 way amplified splitter?
Old 11-Jul-2017, 10:54 AM   #36
ADTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsean0714 View Post
Thanks, yeah I just assumed because I had good reception below the mounted spot that 20 ft up in air in same direction would work the same. I wonder how the DBE would do in attic facing same direction which would only go through plywood and siding.
It is impossible to predict reception in any given attic. Attic installs usually require an even greater amount of both patience and luck compared to a rooftop installation.

Quote:
Can the Juice be used in conjunction with my channelmaster 4 way amplified splitter?
Can it? Yes. Should it? In your case, absolutely not. Too much amplification is worse than none at all. There are cases where two amps are appropriate, but those involve all very weak signals, long cable runs, and an extensive distribution system. Yours is not in that category.

If your coax from the antenna to the point of splitting is very modest, perhaps 25' or less, then the penalty for using a distribution amp instead of a pre-amp at the antenna is relatively minor and can usually be tolerated.

Last edited by ADTech; 11-Jul-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-Jul-2017, 4:13 PM   #37
Bsean0714

Thanks. Yeah I am about right at 25 ft to the distribution splitter. I had a Onn preamp laying around so I hooked it to a 2-way passive splitter and disconnected the channel master. Home Depot has a Wineguard LNA 200 preamp. Would that be comparable to the juice? If so, it's more convenient for me to pick up.
Old 11-Jul-2017, 4:15 PM   #38
Bsean0714

The cheap Onn, Walmart preamp seems to bring cbs in better but still no Fox. I was wondering if the other Preamps would be that much better.
Old 11-Jul-2017, 5:42 PM   #39
ADTech

You're not getting the FOX station because you managed to plop the antenna down in a "dead spot" for that station's signal.

The LNA200 is not comparable to the Juice. You're welcome to try it, if you wish.

Old 11-Jul-2017, 5:53 PM   #40
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

You need to follow ADTech's advice in post #33 to even have a chance for Fox.

The WAGA signal is obstructed by terrain; it needs all the help it can get.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bsean0714TVFp2WAGA.JPG (100.4 KB, 852 views)
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote