TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Mar-2012, 1:44 AM   #1
ssscott

Antenna Recommendation

Just bought a new HDTv and at this point only get about 6 channels depending on which way the wind is blowing. I only have an indoor applified antenna.
Looking to get a larger antenna to put in the attic or if necessary a roof mounted antenna. We do have a number of trees that surround the house as well. Any recommendations?
Thanks
Scott
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86d1938f627d
ssscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2012, 2:59 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

A roof, chimney or eave mounted antenna will certainly give you a better selection of programming.

Consider the Winegard HD7694P pointed east.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2012, 1:13 AM   #3
ssscott

Thanks for the Recommendation. I guess I was assuming I would need a bigger antenna. Another site recommended Winegard FV-HD30 Antenna. I would prefer it to go in the attic. Should I get a larger antenna if I decide to put it in the attic.
SSS
ssscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2012, 3:44 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Attic construction will attenuate the signal. So yes, if you can fit a larger antenna in the attic, some of that attenuation may be overcome.

Be fore you commit to a purchase, be sure there will be room to mount the antenna so no metal is near enough to interfere. Also be sure that the roof construction contains no metal or metal foil, either of which will block almost all of the signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2012, 3:49 AM   #5
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssscott View Post
Thanks for the Recommendation. I guess I was assuming I would need a bigger antenna. Another site recommended Winegard FV-HD30 Antenna. I would prefer it to go in the attic. Should I get a larger antenna if I decide to put it in the attic.
SSS
You should not go shopping for recommendations without independent knowledge to resolve conflicts among the recommendations. Your TV Fool Radar plot clearly shows that you need a VHF/UHF antenna. GroundUrMast recommended an excellent VHF/UHF antenna in the Winegard HD7694P. The Winegard FV-HD30 recommended by "another site" is nominally a compact VHF/UHF antenna. As an outdoor antenna for strong close-in stations, it is a decent antenna from a reputable company. For an attic mount, however, you cannot expect much better results than you would get by moving your indoor antenna to your attic.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote