TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-May-2014, 9:05 PM   #1
SarahC

Need Help with My Set-Up Northern Wisconsin

Hello!

Thank you for reading and hopefully being able to add some insight.

Here is my report --

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=90

I live in Northern, Wisconsin - in the woods. I am near a small town called Rhinelander, but not in the city at all. Where I live, it takes 15 minutes on a clear day through the trees to make it the 5 miles into town. I lu-lu-luv it here. I much prefer bear as neighbors to people.

Right now it is beautiful, clear skies here.

I have a Winegard HD8200U Platinum HD VHF/UHF Antenna (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

It is on a tri-pod on a mast and is on my roof about 35 feet above ground.

I also have Antennas direct, inc PA-18 Ultra Low Noise Pre-Amplifier.

The antenna is connected to 1 TV currently a Sharp LED with 50ft of coax cable- it's about 4 years old.

This is our first time learning about setting up an antenna, but we are both educated people, so my husband has been up on the roof for the past 3 days because I wanted to watch the American Idol Finale (which I missed) and now it is his mission to get FOX 55.1 in come hell or high water.

We currently get quite a few channels, including some in the 7 and 9's.

I called Fox 55.1 yesterday and spoke to an engineer who said the transmitter was working fine and if we were able to pull in WAOW 9.1 we should be able to get Fox 55.1 and to get move the antenna as close to 175 degrees as possible -- that the problem had to be directional. And to make sure it isn't in front of a tree.

We are surrounded by tall, old trees and forest. I understand I may not be able to get FOX 55.1 at all because of where I live. I am OK with this, however, I am going to do everything in my power before I take no FOX for an answer... so I am looking for insight from someone who may offer one.

My husband is considering installing a separate UHF antenna at this point (on the roof).

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks much,
Sarah C.
SarahC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2014, 9:31 PM   #2
tomfoolery

Your link leads to the mapping input page. After you put in your address and click "Map This", zoom in on the resulting map and move the icon to exactly on top of where your antenna is, and set the elevation to 35 ft (someone will probably ask you to also run it at 25 ft and 50 ft), and click the 'Make Radar Plot' button, which will generate the tvfool report. Post the url to this report, not the map.

Last edited by tomfoolery; 23-May-2014 at 9:35 PM.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

I've just posted a short explanation of my method of generating a TV Fool report,

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
teleview

+=>

The first tvfool report - the posted tvfool report , is not working.

----------

Go to the tvfool home page.

Click on , >>Start MAPS<< .

Enter a address or zip code.

Move the pointer to the Exact reception location.

Make and Post 2 tvfool reports , 35 and 50 feet antenna heights above ground.

Click on , Map This.

Click on , Make Radar Plot.

Last edited by teleview; 24-May-2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.