TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Jun-2010, 6:26 PM   #21
Billiam

How well does this Stacker antenna reject signals off the side and back?

Michael. If you don't mind my asking what city or town and state are you using this antenna? You are getting some amazing results with it.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jun-2010, 6:32 PM   #22
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael55555 View Post
My prior antenna could only receive New York City and give me a deep fringe area rolling vertical picture for these stations.
Thanks Michael,

What were you using before the Stacker?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jun-2010, 7:27 AM   #23
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

A big long explanation about the twin lead. . And leaving a Fact out about the twin lead , this is known as -X- omission and reveals a truth about the Stacker. I know the truth about the Stacker , however I will see if any one will like to come clean. . And then there is the talk of the vertical rolling of the picture.

Last edited by teleview; 11-Jun-2010 at 5:37 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 11-Jun-2010, 12:41 PM   #24
Dave Loudin

Bottom line: this is a VHF antenna over a UHF antenna. Several folks on this forum have recommended this type of installation using antennas from different manufacturers when appropriate.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jun-2010, 4:40 PM   #25
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Spacing is important between the antennas when stacking antennas both vertical and horizontal. . Much information on the internet about Correct TV Antenna Stacking.

Last edited by teleview; 11-Jun-2010 at 5:39 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 11-Jun-2010, 5:12 PM   #26
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post
Bottom line: this is a VHF antenna over a UHF antenna. Several folks on this forum have recommended this type of installation using antennas from different manufacturers when appropriate.
Stacking separate U/V antennas at recommended distances is one thing and is a common and accepted practice . Making them conjoined twins is quite another.

I'd line to see a return loss sweep (VSWR) of this pair in addition to some real specifications obtained either by modeling, from an antenna test range, or even a valid comparison between it and a reference antenna using real test equipment (not a converter box) .
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jun-2010, 9:00 PM   #27
coco

[QUOTE=teleview;1728]A big long explanation about the twin lead. . And leaving a Fact out about the twin lead , this is known as -X- omission and reveals a truth about the Stacker. I know the truth about the Stacker , however I will see if any one will like to come clean.

OK Teleview its been over a week now and nobody has come clean.What is the fact about the twinlead?How about telling us the truth about the Stacker?
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jun-2010, 9:28 AM   #28
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

The twin lead will break. . The connections will break. . The average person will not do any repairs at all. . If the twin lead does get replaced it will be with some short pieces of some junk wire. . . Do you know why the loop of twin lead is there ? . I do. . I know more , a lot more. It makes no difference if I put the information out there. . People are Lemmings.
Old 21-Jun-2010, 12:33 PM   #29
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
The twin lead will break. . The connections will break. . The average person will not do any repairs at all. . If the twin lead does get replaced it will be with some short pieces of some junk wire. . . Do you know why the loop of twin lead is there ? . I do. . I know more , a lot more. It makes no difference if I put the information out there. . People are Lemmings.
Enough of the guessing games. Precisely how will the twin lead break and where? What is causing this? Wind, or simple stress from tightening the wire too tight? What? My guess is that if you securely tape the twin lead to the mast it will not rip away in the wind.

The antenna comes with a money back guarantee which is unheard of in the TV antenna industry. This does seem to indicate the company is willing to put its money where its mouth is. How about you? If you are going to bad mouth a particular antenna or company then you better have some reliable evidence to back up your statements.
Old 21-Jun-2010, 5:24 PM   #30
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Enough of the guessing games. Precisely how will the twin lead break and where? What is causing this? Wind, or simple stress from tightening the wire too tight? What? My guess is that if you securely tape the twin lead to the mast it will not rip away in the wind.

The antenna comes with a money back guarantee which is unheard of in the TV antenna industry. This does seem to indicate the company is willing to put its money where its mouth is. How about you? If you are going to bad mouth a particular antenna or company then you better have some reliable evidence to back up your statements.
Twin-lead should be secured away from the mast to prevent cross-coupling from the mast to the leads. If it does, there would be unpredictable variations in VSWR that would make reception even less than predictable.

(Tooting own horn...) BTW, Denny's isn't the only company with a lifetime warranty and a liberal money-back guarantee...
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jun-2010, 6:16 PM   #31
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Twin-lead should be secured away from the mast to prevent cross-coupling from the mast to the leads. If it does, there would be unpredictable variations in VSWR that would make reception even less than predictable.

(Tooting own horn...) BTW, Denny's isn't the only company with a lifetime warranty and a liberal money-back guarantee...
Good point. Using standoffs would be wiser.
Old 22-Jun-2010, 1:37 AM   #32
coco

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
Teleview I would like to know why there is a loop in the twinlead ,plus any other insightful information you may know. Put the information out there ,some of us care what you have to say.
Old 23-Jun-2010, 8:50 PM   #33
John Candle

Antennas

I have seen this stacked antenna somewhere in the past i am looking in electronics magazines such as radio electronics , electronics illustrated , mechanics illustrated , and etc. and more. I am researching now. Seems to me that i saw this antenna in the 1970s. Long before Dennys claim to fame.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jun-2010, 12:51 AM   #34
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
We really need to close this thread: it has dragged on far too long! it was perpetuated by Televue, and he is gone: let's put this thread to rest, too!
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jun-2011, 10:15 PM   #35
ghz24

If the flames have died down. I'm still curious to hear the results especially the low vhf performance. uhf and vhf high info is plentiful. Even the sellers tests don't include any vhf low results (made me skeptical). So I'd like to hear from okinthestix re: results. Or if any one knows about or has a model for this antenna that would be great. I might be able to model it if I had good measurements.
ghz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2011, 5:16 PM   #36
all grey on charts

stacker from dennys

my zip code 96028, all the channels I get are grey on the charts or not on the charts at all , I have had two large radio shack antennas with rs preamps in the past years that would pickup only three channels in the same spot as my stacker with dennys preamps and a 150 feet of coax, I get fourteen channels 2-1 2-2 22-1 22-2 22-3 from Klamath falls about 90 mi. north. also 7-1 7-2 7-3 9-1 9-2 9-3 from Redding Ca. about 75 mi. to the west. also 31-1 31-2 from medford Or. about 100mi. to the northwest. also anolog 41 "fuzzy most of the time" from Reno Nv. about 200 mi. to the southeast 120 degrees from where my stacker is pointed. my stacker is 35 feet up with no trees or buildings, I am not on top of a mountain. the stacker was money well spent, very sturdy, easy to work with, way easyer than those rs behemoths. Denny and his crew are very helpful and honest about everything I had asked. I am thankful that there are peaple like this still, selling quality goods willing to talk to you in person, thank you dennys antenna I will buy from you again.
all grey on charts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2012, 3:35 PM   #37
fallen_trumpet
Fred

Question HD Stacker specs

I don't intend to "fan the flames" about this controversial antenna, but... in this long thread, going back almost two years...

Did Denny ever provide actual dBD gain numbers for the HD Stacker (at least for channels 7-51)? (Someone mentioned that Denny asked Winegard to perform the tests.)

Other than the comparative tests on Denny's web site, are there any other actual HD Stacker specs available today?

And perhaps I overlooked the terminolgy "legend" on Denny's web site, but what exactly do the "percentages" represent? (Percentage of what? For example, Denny's tests show, for RF Channel 8 at his test location, the Stacker scored "52%" while the Winegard 8200U only scored "39%". I'm hoping to determine how to derive dBD from these percentages, or is that possible?)

Full disclosure... I just ordered an HD Stacker yesterday for my planned attic installation. I'm hopeful of good reception and that I don't have to remove and return the antenna and start over with some other brand/model.
fallen_trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jul-2012, 4:23 AM   #38
Malcolm

I am looking at the HD Stacker to go up with an amplifier in zip code 77833. This is probably 50-60 miles northwest of Houston. At the present time we have some kind of unknown antenna up with a RS amplifier. It picks up stations from Waco, TX, which is much farther away, but no Houston stations.

When I enter the exact address at Denny's website it actually shows no broadcast service available.

Is it advisable to use a rotor also?

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...99009c3bc8a744

Last edited by Malcolm; 16-Jul-2012 at 4:36 AM. Reason: added tvfool report
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2020, 2:16 AM   #39
coco

In just 2 months it will be TEN (10) YEARS that I installed my "STACKER" antenna and it is still in excellent shape.I had it 35feet high when I first put it up.About 6 years ago we had a hurricane coming our way so I took it down.After storm passed I put it back up but took a 10 foot section of my tower.At 25 feet I still catch all my stations even WAFB in Baton Rouge. When I purchased this antenna it was $100 now it cost $140. Kind of expensive but if you divide what you paid for it by #of years. So I paid $10 a year--so far.