TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > TV Fool Discussion / Database Updates > TV Database Updates

Notices

Old 5-Jan-2010, 2:10 AM   #1
narkspud
Sheesh, what a grouch

Los Angeles market corrections/updates

KTAV-LP (analog 69) appears to be down for the count. Off the air for several weeks. No trace of their digital equivalent yet.

KLAU-LP (analog 45) is still there - about 60% of the time. They seem to have trouble staying on the air for more than a few days at a stretch. Last seen this morning around 8 AM.

Some virtual channels that aren't showing up on the plot:
KBEH (24) 63.1
KFTR-DT (29) 46.1
KSMV-LP (23) 31.1
narkspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
mtownsend

Thanks for the updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post
KTAV-LP (analog 69) appears to be down for the count. Off the air for several weeks. No trace of their digital equivalent yet.
OK. KTAV analog 69 has been removed. We'll leave their digital record in place for now.

Quote:
KLAU-LP (analog 45) is still there - about 60% of the time.
KLAU analog 45 has been restored (until we hear that they've gone off the air for good). We'll also leave their digital 66 licenced record in place for now.

Quote:
Some virtual channels that aren't showing up on the plot:
KBEH (24) 63.1
KFTR-DT (29) 46.1
KSMV-LP (23) 31.1
These have all been added along with a few others.

Hope this helps.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2010, 8:30 PM   #3
narkspud
Sheesh, what a grouch

KLAU-LP (analog 45) has been off for several months now, and I presume they're gone for good, although you never know with these guys.

On a related note, no one in the LA AVS Forum topic has seen any trace of KLAU-LD on 53. I should be getting them here in Tustin if they're on the air with anything resembling full power. I'm not.

My "current" plot is showing two channel 23s, at similar strengths and from the same direction - KSGA-LP and KSMV-LD. I'm pretty sure KSMV is the one I'm picking up, since it's identified as such and maps to 31. The signal is quite solid, so I would assume KSGA isn't on the air.

I would also assume KNET-CA's digital 25 isn't on yet, since their analog is still occupying that channel.

One more update ... KTAV-LP (real ch. 46) maps to 35.

Everything else, AFAICT, is correct.
Old 1-Dec-2010, 4:32 PM   #4
mtownsend

Thanks again for the update!

The FCC has updated KLAU-LD's license on channel 66 once again, but it looks like they are not transmitting on either 53 or 66 yet. For now, we'll leave the channel 53 record in the "pending" results.

It looks like KNET-CA's digital transmitter has come on line, so their analog record has been taken out.
Old 14-Jan-2011, 9:07 PM   #5
noelguy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtownsend View Post
Thanks again for the update!

The FCC has updated KLAU-LD's license on channel 66 once again, but it looks like they are not transmitting on either 53 or 66 yet. For now, we'll leave the channel 53 record in the "pending" results.

It looks like KNET-CA's digital transmitter has come on line, so their analog record has been taken out.
hi mtownsend.

If you see those two stations on this Rabbitears.info page:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=2
KLAU-LD is currently "off the air" and KNET-CA is now active. I've been able to get KNET-CA on digital 25.1 on my DTV converter box...barely with an indoor UHF antenna (though I'm sure an outdoor antenna should be able to pick it up just fine with no reception problems).

Note that KFLA-LD 8.1 is no longer broadcasting on real RF (VHF) channel 8 as it was causing co-channel interference with KFMB 8.1 in San Diego, which is also broadcasting on real RF (VHF) channel 8. KFLA 8.1 has just moved to the UHF band on real RF channel 52 [check KFLA's recent FCC records either on the FCC.gov web site or the Rabbitears.info site]. AND KFLA has recently posted a statement on their web site that they've completed installation of new equipment that improves their signal and that viewers will have to re-scan in order to receive KFLA.
http://www.kfla.tv/receive.html

Update: KFLA has noted on their site the "interference" problem with a San Diego TV station also broadcasting on RF channel 8 and the problems some residents living in the San Gabriel area not getting any signal from KFLA.

Quote:
I re-scanned but I still don't receive KFLA! You may live in an area that currently does not receive our signal. In early 2009 a San Diego TV station began broadcasting a digital signal on channel 8. This caused severe interference to many people in our signal area and this was the primary reason we made these changes. Unfortunately it appears our new transmit frequency is not delivering good signals to those people living close to the San Gabriel Mountains. We are asking for signal reports to help us determine exactly where the signal is good and where it is bad. Once enough signal reports have been received we will publish a map showing problem signal areas to let you know if you're in a bad signal area or not.

Last edited by noelguy79; 17-Jan-2011 at 4:18 PM.
noelguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Feb-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
noelguy79

NEW Coverage Map for KFLA on their web site:
http://www.kfla.tv/coverage.html

many parts of Los Angeles are showing green areas on the new coverage map, which means that KFLA can be viewed with a minimum of a good indoor antenna.

please update the KFLA 8.1 database on your site as soon as possible, mtownsend. KFLA 8.1 no longer broadcasts on (real) channel 8 and has already moved to (real) channel 52.
Old 2-Feb-2011, 8:33 PM   #7
mtownsend

Thanks for the update! We'll update our databases and coverage maps on the next round of updates.

The discussion on their site regarding the loss of coverage in the east is an interesting one. It looks like this problem is a combination of two factors: 1) they are too low on the tower, and 2) the tower they use is set back into the mountains about half a mile further back than most of the other TV transmitters on Mount Wilson.

You can see the relative location of KFLA's transmitter low on the left-most tower in the image below. The distance to KABC-DT's tower is about 0.5 miles. The distance to KPXN-DT's tower is about 1.4 miles.

KFLA-LD is on the KCBS-FM tower, but only about 1/3 of the way up.

From the transmitter's vantage point, Mt. Wilson (in the middle of the image below) and Mt. Harvard (smaller peak to the right) become major obstructions that affect communities to the east (blocked by Mt. Wilson) and to the south (blocked by Mt. Harvard).

They would need to move the antennas almost all the way to the top of the tower to shoot over these mountains and reach the communities that are now blocked.

Their coverage would improve significantly (as shown in the image below) if they could get their antennas near the top of the tower.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mt-Wilson.jpg (287.8 KB, 4023 views)
File Type: jpg KFLA-blocked.jpg (288.5 KB, 3555 views)
File Type: jpg KFLA-hypothetical.jpg (276.4 KB, 3612 views)
Old 16-Feb-2011, 2:55 PM   #8
narkspud
Sheesh, what a grouch

A couple things ...

KFLA-LD (52) maps to 8.
KVHD-LD (40) maps to 26.

My plot now shows KEDD-LP considerably stronger than co-channel KNLA-LD (34.4 NM vs 20.6 NM from the same direction) but I am getting KNLA on physical 50. So either KEDD is off the air, or operating at considerably lower power than expected, or they're IDing themselves as KNLA and mapping as 20.

Analog K55KD is still transmitting on 57. Plot says 55.
Old 16-Jun-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
noelguy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

My plot now shows KEDD-LP considerably stronger than co-channel KNLA-LD (34.4 NM vs 20.6 NM from the same direction) but I am getting KNLA on physical 50. So either KEDD is off the air, or operating at considerably lower power than expected, or they're IDing themselves as KNLA and mapping as 20.
well narkspud, the Rabbitears.info site suggests that KEDD-LP is off air.

Speaking of KNLA-LD, I'm now getting a better signal. looks like Venture Technologies Group boosted the power of that station.

"Max ERP" for KNLA-LD is now 8 kW instead of the weak 0.4 kW mentioned on TVFool. This new info I also found on Rabbitears.info.

AND Venture Technologies Group recently created KMRZ-LD 55 (virtual ch. 60)
Old 24-Jun-2011, 5:04 PM   #10
noelguy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelguy79 View Post
well narkspud, the Rabbitears.info site suggests that KEDD-LP is off air.
correction, KEDD-LP has been acquired by Venture Technologies Group LLC., the ownership group of KNLA-LD, KMRZ-LD and KNET-CA and KEDD-LP is now silent (hence KEDD is no longer listed in the Los Angeles TV Market Listings on the Rabbitears site).

and KMRZ-LD is operating on physical RF channel 55 and virtual/display channel 20 (not 60).

be sure to update the KNLA-LD map coverage data as it now operates at 8.0kW Effective ERP and should be moved from TVFool's "yellow" colored zone to the "green" colored zone as it now works in my area with just an indoor tv antenna.
Old 25-Jun-2011, 9:50 AM   #11
mtownsend

Thanks for the updates!

KMRZ-LD and KNLA-LD have been updated in the database. These changes should take effect right away on any newly generated reports.
Old 8-Jul-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
noelguy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtownsend View Post
Thanks for the updates!

KMRZ-LD and KNLA-LD have been updated in the database. These changes should take effect right away on any newly generated reports.
thanks mtownsend. though you should also remove KEDD-LD 50 from the "Current" list of Los Angeles TV channels as it's no longer in service. you may continue to list KEDD in the "Pending" section but not in the Current section. KEDD-LD is no longer listed on the Rabbitears.info web site list of Los Angeles TV stations.

Last edited by noelguy79; 8-Jul-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 9-Sep-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
noelguy79

it looks like KFLA 8 may plan to move back to their old frequency (RF 8) sometime soon.
a notice was posted on August 1 on their web site about their antenna improvement project:
http://www.kfla.tv/Viewer_Notice_1.html

though KFLA 8 is still currently operating on RF 52
Old 26-Dec-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
noelguy79

Quote:
it looks like KFLA 8 may plan to move back to their old frequency (RF 8) sometime soon.
a notice was posted on August 1 on their web site about their antenna improvement project:

though KFLA 8 is still currently operating on RF 52
effective 12/31/2011, KFLA will make the transition back to its old frequency signal RF8. Max ERP for KFLA on RF8 will be 3kW since the FCC allows low-powered VHF community stations up to 3000 watts. By the start of 2012, KFLA will no longer be broadcasting on RF52.

Details on the improved KFLA signal posted on the following web pages:
http://www.kfla.tv/receive.html
Old 18-Feb-2012, 8:37 PM   #15
noelguy79

more corrections:

KMRZ-LD is no longer operating on RF55 as FCC no longer allows TV stations (low power and full power stations) to broadcast on RF frequencies 52 to 69, effective 12/31/2011. KMRZ-LD may have already moved to RF22. K55KD no longer broadcasts on RF57 as it may have been moved to RF30.

KNLA-LP 27 and KHTV-LP 67 are no longer active (in the analog spectrum). Their analog signals have been shut down permanently and these stations have switched to digital stations. KHTV is now on KHTV-LD RF27.

Last edited by noelguy79; 18-Feb-2012 at 8:41 PM.
Old 1-Mar-2013, 10:59 PM   #16
noelguy79

KMRZ-LD ch. 69 is on physical RF channel 22

Quote:
KMRZ-LD is no longer operating on RF55 as FCC no longer allows TV stations (low power and full power stations) to broadcast on RF frequencies 52 to 69, effective 12/31/2011. KMRZ-LD may have already moved to RF22.
this has been confirmed. KMRZ-LD ch. 69.1 had already switched to RF 22 as indicated on the Rabbitears web site AND has been recently active (aka. on-air).

I can barely tune in to KMRZ-LD in los angeles though the reception is weak.

please change the real ch. number of KMRZ-LD from "55" to "22" on the TVFool web site as soon as possible.