TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Reception Devices

Notices

Old 9-Apr-2014, 6:59 PM   #1
jimzilla

What is it?

I am having some problems with my antenna. It worked fine before. now I am missing some channels. There is a little plastic box that the RG6 attaches to (please see pic) I am wondering if that could be causing my problems and where can I get another one. I figure if I have to take the antenna down to check it I may as well replace it with another one, preferably a better quality one. As I recall there is a circuit board inside the plastic box with a couple of electronic components soldered to the board and a male RG6 is soldered to the board as well the whole thing screws to an aluminum bar in between the whiskers. You're advice will be much appreciated. Thanks much Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna pic.jpg (163.7 KB, 1681 views)
jimzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2014, 7:57 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

That appears to be an Antennas Direct DB8 (not the newer DB8E). The box contains a network that transforms the 300Ω impedance of antenna to the 75Ω impedance of the coax, and also interfaces the balanced antenna output with the unbalanced coax.

Contact Antennas Direct support: http://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

FWIW, Though it's possible, the chances are low that the matching network has failed. Are there trees in the path of the antenna?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2014, 9:47 PM   #3
teleview

+=>

Contact , http://antennasdirect.com.

About replacement parts.

-----------------

Also , water in the coax and connectors and connections and couplers and coax ground coupler and splitters and etc. .

Will Cause reception situations of all types and kinds.

When water gets into coax , the coax is then , Trash.

All coax and connectors and connections and couplers and coax ground coupler , and splitters and etc. are suspect of being defective , outside and inside and every where else.

For a outside coax , use coax that has the Compression type connectors on the ends of the coax , not the crimp type connectors.

And to make Double Sure that water does not get in , wrap with , http://www.coaxseal.com.

----------

To prove reception one way or the other.

Connect a NEW Continues length of coax to the antenna and run the NEW Continues length of coax through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv.

Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.
Old 10-Apr-2014, 1:14 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Contact customer service at 877-825-5572 during business hours for a replacement balun board. It comes with instructions and a zip tie to secure the coax (prevents future damage).

That's been the only available combiner assembly used on the DB8 since late 2008. You'd have to make your own combiner (splitter, baluns, cables, etc) if you want something different.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Apr-2014, 7:56 AM   #5
analogqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzilla View Post
I am having some problems with my antenna. It worked fine before. now I am missing some channels. There is a little plastic box that the RG6 attaches to (please see pic) I am wondering if that could be causing my problems and where can I get another one. I figure if I have to take the antenna down to check it I may as well replace it with another one, preferably a better quality one. As I recall there is a circuit board inside the plastic box with a couple of electronic components soldered to the board and a male RG6 is soldered to the board as well the whole thing screws to an aluminum bar in between the whiskers. You're advice will be much appreciated. Thanks much Jim.
I wonder if an ordinary balun could be used if customer service can't/won't send you a new one?
analogqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Apr-2014, 6:36 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

I'd be quite shocked if Antennas Direct didn't support their customer and back their product.

Technically however, a conventional balun (matching transformer) could be used. It would require a bit of DIY improvisation though, the OEM antenna / balun interface does not have the conventional terminals to connect the classic style twin-lead of the traditional balun.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Apr-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Of course we'll send one. All the customer has to do is contact us.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2014, 2:41 AM   #8
analogqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Of course we'll send one. All the customer has to do is contact us.

Cool- you are a great company - I have a few of your products, surely many of us on the board do. I should have chosen a different phrase, in fact I was more interested in how that balun thing worked than resolving the OPs issue, that is, if a regular balun could be used.
analogqueen is offline   Reply With Quote