TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Feb-2014, 4:13 AM   #1
kllrbee

Recomendations IL/WI border please

Hey all
New at this so please forgive my ignorance....

I just canceled directv...so their existing stuff is still up. It looks like there is one cable going from dish to smh power inserter then a splitter then to my 2 tvs. There are also 3 more cables that go to a terk splitter but i dont know where they go.....its kinda messed up.

Im not really interested in getting the vhf channels....the uhf will be fine. Not sure if there is a way i can get both chicago and milwaukee stations but that would be nice.

Thnx for any help and please let me know if there is anything else u need to know on my end.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b940de1a1c6e5

Last edited by kllrbee; 4-Feb-2014 at 4:14 AM. Reason: info
kllrbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2014, 4:31 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hello Kllrbee,

Your TV fool plot didn't link properly. Could you retry?

Thanks.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2014, 4:33 AM   #3
kllrbee

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b940de1a1c6e5

Hopefully this works....
Old 4-Feb-2014, 4:35 AM   #4
StephanieS

Second time is a charm! Looking at it now.

SS

Last edited by StephanieS; 4-Feb-2014 at 4:41 AM.
Old 4-Feb-2014, 5:31 AM   #5
StephanieS

Greetings again,

Some say reuse the satellite people's left over equipment. I find it can be a headache. I suggest doing a clean installation of coax for this system. That way you know what you have. I've seen too many people at wits end because everything should work and it doesn't - and they relied on leftover satellite system wiring.

For your reception, Milwaukee is the easier of the two. A portion of Chicago signals are doable and as such I will be recommending a two separate antenna systems with three different antennas but let me address Milwaukee first.

For Milwaukee, since VHF signals aren't a concern, Milwaukee can be a one antenna solution. I would purchase an Antennas Direct DB8e (http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=817848011620) aimed at magnetic 28.

Further, I would purchase an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...catvpramp1r%29

Mounting instructions will follow Chicago recommendations.

For Chicago, I would purchase a second RCA preamp and a second DB8e. Orientate second DB8e towards magnetic heading 143. Chicago has a high-VHF (real channels 7 - 13) to consider in CBS WBBM. Signal strength is very weak. With an Antennacraft Y10-7-13 http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=716079000994 will be your only chance to receive this signal.

Mounting on 10 foot mast above the roof, I would make the top DB8e Chicago. Make sure both panels are aimed in unison to magnetic 143. Run 3 to 6 foot jumper to RCA Preamp. Install second Chicago antenna in the Y10-7-13, mount 3' below top antenna. Also aim to magnetic 143. Make sure to input DB8e coax into "UHF combined" coax input while putting Y10-7-13 coax into VHF input. Check for switch under the rubber gasket by the input. You'll want it in "separate" mode. Run drop of coax indoors.

For second DB8e on mast (Milwaukee), mount 3 foot below the Y10-7-13. Run another 3 to 6 foot jumper of coax to second RCA preamp. Connect to UHF combined input. Make sure switch under rubber gasket is in "combined" mode. Run coax down into home.

So far, we have two DB8e's and a Y10-7-13. One setup pointed at magnetic 28 and one 143 respectively with each antenna 2 1/2 to 3 foot apart on the mast. We have both antenna systems feeding separate preamps and running from the preamps down into the house on separate coaxes. These antenna systems are completely independent of one another.

In the home, at the end of your coax drops that come from your preamps, insert power inserter to each coax end. This is how each preamp on the mast gets their power. Connect end of power inserter to A/B Switch. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...-%28abslide%29. This is where you will switch between antenna systems. You will have Milwaukee or Chicago, but you won't have both at the same time. You have now combined down to a single coax.

Run coax jumper from A/B switch to 2-way signal splitter. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...1000-2ap-gx%29

Run additional lengths of coax to each TV you wish to feed.

Now.... that's how the end set up would be.

Before, you go installing the A/B switch and the splitter, test both the single drops of coax coming off preamp on the mast into one TV. You would be taking the power inserter that is connected to the Chicago coax for example and hooking the unconnected end of the power inserter directly into your TV. Do signal scan. See if Chicago shows up. If satisfied, then move on Milwaukee coax.

Repeat hookup processs. Do a new scan. I would expect Chicago signals to disappear and Milwaukee to appear. If satisfied move to next step.

Connect both ends of coax from the preamps with the power inserters on them to the A/B Switch and then connect single coax output to a jumper to the 2-way eagle aspen splitter. Connect first split run of coax to one TV testing Milwaukee. Since you did your last scan for Milwaukee TV no rescan is needed. If reception is fine, connect second coax to 2 way splitter. After installing second run to second TV, do scan. Ideally, Milwaukee channels will show up.

If Milwaukee is good on both, on A/B switch, switchover to Chicago. Rerun scan on both TVs check reception Chicago. If satisfied this part is done.

You now have to flip a switch to toggle between Milwaukee and Chicago signals. You should be able to like, say if you were scanned for Milwaukee, you flip to Chicago, you should be able to enter 19 on your remote and you should see WGN. If you have a reciever like my sharp and my samsung, even if you didn't scan, there are options to manually add signals.

There is also an option if you don't want to play the tuner and A/B switch game, you can buy two separate HD component tuners and connect them via HDMI to your TVs. This would eliminate switching between antennas. You would just be changing sources. For example, the internal TV tuner would be Milwaukee and the external tuner would be Chicago. If this option has interested, we can have more discourse about it.

It's all how you want to do it.

Mounting Supplies: http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.asp...ing%20Supplies

Replacement coax: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...nal-connectors

This is a robust system that gives you the best chance at Chicago and Milwaukee. Just make sure before you perminently install you test locations on your roof for reception. Don't assume just because it is "high" reception is guaranteed. There have been cases of reliable reception being found only by moving a few inches one way or another.

The end result here with this system, I would anticipate the vast majority of Milwaukee signals. For Chicago, you should be able to go down to NBC WMAQ if all things are equal. Beyond that, as signals get weaker for example like CBS WBBM you might see them, but they may have intermittent drop outs. So you may decide the Y10-7-13 isn't worth it and settle for just what can get from Chicago. You just have to get something in the air.

Best of luck.

Last edited by StephanieS; 4-Feb-2014 at 6:07 AM. Reason: clarifications
Old 4-Feb-2014, 6:17 AM   #6
teleview

+=>
----
The Current Tv channels that are being transmitted and received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

Your reception location has receivable Tv channels in All 3 Bands.

The reception signal strengths are Weak Signal Strength at your reception location.

Recommend install a , Large All Channel Antenna.
Above The Peak Of The Roof install a , www.antennacraft.net , HD1800 All channel antenna aimedat about 29 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

-----------

Install a , www.channelmasterstore.com , CM7778 preamplifier.

--------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-4D , 4 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , HFS-4D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com .

-------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com , or , www.amazon.com .

------------------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.antennacraft.net

www.ronard.com

www.amazon.com

--------------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , ATSC-Digital Broadvast Tv Stations Channels, often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ Antenna Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ Air Channels~.

Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

-------------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception with a Tv Antenna and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Pratice is to install the HD1800 All Channel Antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the direction of reception including your own roof and house.
Old 4-Feb-2014, 2:40 PM   #7
kllrbee

Thnx SS!
I checked out the wiring a little more. Pretty simple really....its just alot of unused.
cables strewn about in the attic.
Its just one cable from dish down thru conduit to basement to power inserter to splitter and then to 2 tvs. Looks like I can get rid of everything else.
I will take your recomendation on the db8e and preamp.
Thnx very much for your help!
Old 5-Feb-2014, 5:33 PM   #8
stvcmty

Kllrbee,

You got some really good suggestions from teleview and StephanieS. If I lived where you live, I would go somewhere between their suggestions.

There is a VHF-low station in the Milwaukee group, so an all channel antenna (HD1800, HD1850, or HD7084P) would be good to point at 29 degrees magnetic.

Chicago mainly has UHF stations, so a DB8e would be a good option pointed at 143 magnetic, unless you want CBS from Chicago, in which case you could add an Y10-7-13 pointed at 143 magnetic.

I would get 2 RCA TVPRAMP1R s, one for each group of channels. For the Milwaukee group, I would connect the all channel antenna to the combined input on one preamp. For the Chicago group I would put the DB8e into the UHF input on the other preamp and if you get one, a Y10-7-13 into the VHF input.

I think the RCA TVPRAMP1R is the best value for preamps right now. It is the least expensive dual input preamp. From compiling other people’s experiences I think it might have a 1dB better noise figure than the new 7778. (I have not done any experiments of my own, so me saying the TVPRAMP1R may be lower noise comes from reading manufactures claims, reading forum posts about multiple preamplifiers, and doing some excel “desk jockey” work.)

From where you are, you “may” have an option to do a single cable solution for two antenna systems. The Milwaukee group is very close to 90 degrees from the Chicago group. The antennas suggested so far in the thread have nulls at 90 degrees. If the groups were exactly 90 degrees apart and you had LOS signals, I would be more confident in what I am about to suggest, but it would be inexpensive to try.
When everything is hooked up, if you go with 2 antenna systems, you will have a point where you have a power inserter going to the Milwaukee antenna and a power inserter going to the Chicago antenna(s). First do a channel scan for each antenna system (one hooked up to the TV at a time) and note what channels you get. Then connect the output (to tv) line from each power inserter into a splitter backward to use it as a combiner, and take the combined out and connect it to your TV and do a channel scan. If all the channels are there, it worked, if not, replace the splitter/combiner with an AB switch.
The reason that may work is if one group of station hits a null on the antenna for the other group of stations, when they get mixed together in the combiner, no signal from the wrong stations will come in one antenna messing up the signal from the right antenna. As stated above, that would be more likely to work with stations 90 degrees apart and a LOS path to prevent multipath doing who knows what to where the signals come from.
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
teleview

+=>
----
The North East group of Tv stations are in 1 direction and 1 antenna aimed in that 1 direction will receive them.
The North East group of Tv stations are stronger signal strength , then the South East group of Tv stations.

Install the HD1800 All channel antenna aimed at the North East group of tv stations as recommended.
----------

As a Test of reception of the South East group of Tv stations , the HD1800 antenna can be aimed at the South East group of Tv stations , and scan for channels.