TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Mar-2017, 1:19 PM   #1
nickster

Lost channel 9.1 cfto Toronto

Cannot received 9.1 CFTO Toronto CN tower, I had a good signal for 3 years, I have all other CN channels. I am in Newcastle Ontario my setup is Winegard HD7694 antenna with a Channelmaster 7778 preamp and a Channelmaster 3412 power distribution amp with two tvs.Antenna is on roof 18 feet high, most days I can receive 34 channels with good signal, but no 9.1 CFTO
nickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2017, 2:22 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Post your exact location TVFool plot (link, please, not an image) so that we can estimate your signal environment. Also, run your FMFool plot and post an image (has to be an image) of it.

Why do you have two amplifiers installed? One is usually plenty for most situations, two are almost always one to many. Have you tried eliminating the second amp and checking to see if the problem is resolved?

Do you have the FM trap in your preamp in or out (on or off)? You have a close by FM station (94.9) that has a very strong potential to interfere into VHF channel 9 (2nd harmonic).

Loss of a single VHF station that was previously well-received is almost always due to localized electrical interference. See the attached tip sheet that I often send to customers, it can provide some insight.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Troubleshooting VHF Reception.pdf (43.0 KB, 610 views)

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2017, 2:35 PM   #3
nickster

Without a distribution amp I lose about half of channels, I have tried using a Channel Master 7777 pre amp and only received 2 channels, with 7778 12 channels, 7778 along with 3412 distribution amp about 36 channels
Old 10-Mar-2017, 6:22 PM   #4
Tower Guy

I see two problems.

First, the problem with CFTO is caused by FM overload. The strongest FM station is on 94.9 MHz, which causes s spurious signal in channel 9 when preamp(s) are used. The solution is an FM trap between the antenna and 7778 preamp. The Antennas Direct FM filter is a good choice if they are still available.

The second problem is that unless your leadin is longer than 100' you should not need both a distribution amplifier and a preamp. Receiving more channels with the distribution amp in place is an indication of a bad splitter or excess loss in your coax.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The use of the second amp is compensating for an undiagnosed and uncorrected fault somewhere else.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 10-Mar-2017 at 11:09 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2017, 12:42 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Ditto Tower Guy and ADTech...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2017, 1:32 AM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

We still haven't seen your tvfool report, so it is difficult to give you accurate advice. The report you gave in a previous thread in 2014 is no longer available on the server.

CFTO channel 9.1
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14411

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster View Post
My setup is, Channel Master 4221 HD up 20 feet with a channel master 7778 amp, coax is 50 feet to a single TV. Channel 9.1 CFTO from CN tower is a hit and miss,I do get all other channels from tower. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94714096c182

Last edited by rabbit73; 11-Mar-2017 at 1:37 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
nickster

Thank you for the info, I will post a report then will look for a FM filter