TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Feb-2011, 1:08 PM   #1
llzel

Need help with antenna

Hey All- nice site and I'm hoping I can get some help.
My digital channels are very close and all around me. I've attached my spec's. I'm only interested with the networks in green.
Thanks again for your advise.

Z

PS: I'm wanting to combine signal with satellite cable and feed 2 TV's trough satellite tuner (Dish)
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-Digital.png (70.6 KB, 527 views)
llzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Feb-2011, 3:35 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

One thing's for sure, do not use any type of amplifier!

A simple, $5 bowtie from Radio Shack could do the trick, since I see no VHF channels near you.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Feb-2011, 4:11 PM   #3
llzel

Thanks for the response, I've tried some simple antennas and i get signal cutouts/pixilation. I have a round channelmaster omni-directional in the attic and it cuts out all the time. I someone suggested installing a variable attenuator, would you agree?
Old 9-Feb-2011, 4:20 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Yes I agree a variable attenuator. At http://www.solidsignal.com , the 1296F . . The transmissions are so strong that I recommend dialing them down. One of these simple antennas will work fine. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 . . Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html The transmissions are so strong that first ones are highlighted with red. And rest are over the top strong.

Last edited by John Candle; 9-Feb-2011 at 9:50 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Feb-2011, 9:48 PM   #5
John Candle

If the omni antenna you have has an amplifier or does not have a amplifier , then do the antenna favor , get shotgun and put it out of it's misery. . Omni directional tv antennas Do Not reject multipath. Multipath is signal reflections bouncing off of , in your case -- everything and the multipath bouncing signal are super strong. The digital tv tuner has multipath correction , however in your situation there so much multipath and the signals are so strong that the digital tuner is overwelmend.

Last edited by John Candle; 10-Feb-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 9-Feb-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by llzel View Post
Thanks for the response, I've tried some simple antennas and i get signal cutouts/pixilation. I have a round channelmaster omni-directional in the attic and it cuts out all the time. I someone suggested installing a variable attenuator, would you agree?
Is this what you have?

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

If so, an attenuator is useless. You need an antenna with no amplifier.

If you have an old UHF loop, try it instead.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Feb-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
llzel

Tower, yes that's the omini-directional antenna I have in the attic. There's a coax from the antenna to a amplifier (that plugs in a 120v outlet) then the coax goes to the basement via a old RG59 cable. In the basement i use a 2-way splitter. Each goes to a TV. The signal is worse when I don't use the inline amplifier.

2 channels seem to work fine all the time, PBS, Fox, and ABC cut out periodically. It's watchable but annoying. I'd like to keep the antenna in the attic and not at the TV's. In the past I used 2 directional antennas and connected them to a splitter then down to the basement with one coax. When my area went all digital the cutouts got worse, so that's when I went to the omni-directional.

John, my wife keeps all dangerous instruments/guns out of my reach. She says I'm unstable
Old 10-Feb-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Dave Loudin

Seriously, you have such strong signals that your equipment is overloading. Please, go ahead and get the $5 bowtie and connect that to your system. Sometimes the pixellation is from too much signal and/or from too many paths combining together.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Feb-2011, 6:40 PM   #9
John Candle

Replace ALL the coax cables with new RG-6 . And use a coax ground block to ground the new RG-6 with. . There is no reason to be using any type or kind of preamplifier , distribution amplifier , line amplifier or any other type or kind of antenna system amplifier. The Tv transmissions are so strong they will blast a hole through 6 inch steal plate. . If tv transmissions are not getting to the basement then the basement is 20 floors below ground or the old coax cable has a nail through it , also do not reinstall that 32 way splitter.

Last edited by John Candle; 10-Feb-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Old 10-Feb-2011, 6:47 PM   #10
John Candle

You say that you are wanting to combine signals on to a satellite cable. Is the satellite system still working or are you disconnecting every thing satellite??
Old 10-Feb-2011, 8:36 PM   #11
John Candle

Completely redo the antenna system. And make it S-I-M-P-L-E.
Old 10-Feb-2011, 9:34 PM   #12
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by llzel View Post
Tower, yes that's the omini-directional antenna I have in the attic.
The signal is worse when I don't use the inline amplifier.
The inlne devive is not an amplifier, it is a power inserter.
The signal is worse when you unplug the amplifier because there is no amplifier bypass in the antenna. The unpowered amplifier causes more distortion than the powered amplifier. Either way it can't work that close to the TV stations.

Try this instead: http://www.target.com/GE-Omni-TV-Antenna/dp/B000EIMKYC
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote