TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Feb-2012, 4:21 PM   #1
Spuds

Manchester NH

Hey guys looking to see what reccomendation people have for antenna for me in manchester?

Here is my sygnol anaylis http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b868dba84c880

I am done with Comcast cable.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Feb-2012, 7:37 PM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Your location is very good for Digital Tv Reception. Many Channels Will Be Received. The tv transmissions are from 3 different directions , north east , south and west. One antenna can receive them all. Install a AntennaCraft U8000 with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp , aimed at about 210 degree magnetic compass to receive the tv station/channels to the south and west. And to make the U8000 into a antenna that will receive the tv stations/channels to the north east , remove the reflector rods by drilling out the rivets that hold the metal clips that hold the reflector rods. With the reflector rods removed the U8000's , >< shaped metal receiving elements will receive at the front of the antenna and the back of the antenna. . Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.antennacraft.net , http://www.antennasdirect.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com .

Last edited by Electron; 3-Feb-2012 at 7:41 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Feb-2012, 8:33 PM   #3
Spuds

Thanks for the info but will that setup get me channel 9 wmur? Will I need a VHF antenna to?

Also how many channels from an antenna end up HD?
Old 3-Feb-2012, 9:29 PM   #4
Electron

WMUR-TV 9 ABC , WENH-TV 11 PBS are both Very Strong Transmissions and will be received. Digital Broadcast Tv Transmissions are --> Digital . The digital signal can be any of these resolutions , Low definition 480i and 480P. High definition 720P , 1080i and 1080P. The resolution/definition of the picture IS NOT a function of the antenna. A tv antenna or any other type of kind of antenna receives electromagnetic waves of energy , antennas do not know if the energy is Analog , Digital , Pulse modulation or etc. . The antenna of your car radio receives both AM and FM radio stations because the antenna does not know if the electromagnetic energy is AM amplitude modulation or FM frequency modulation.
Old 3-Feb-2012, 9:47 PM   #5
Electron

http://www.crutchfield.com/Learn/lea...e/antenna.html. Many people believe the misinformation that Digital Broadcast Tv has inferior picture quality and cable and satellite have higher quality pictures. When exactly the opposite is true. The truth is Digital Broadcast Tv has the Highest Picture Quality.

Last edited by Electron; 3-Feb-2012 at 9:54 PM.
Old 3-Feb-2012, 9:57 PM   #6
Electron

I know this , people prefer to believe rumors and misinformation and avoid the truth.
Old 3-Feb-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Electron

If you are not handy with a drill and such , then install a Winegard HD7696P antenna with a CPA-19 preamp aimed at about 196 degree magnetic compass. WENH-TV 11 PBS and WPXG-DT 33 ION are strong signal strength and will most likley be received through the back side of the HD7696P antenna.
Old 3-Feb-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Spuds

So you say the digital signal can be any of these resolutions , Low definition 480i and 480P. High definition 720P , 1080i and 1080P.

What i'm trying to figure out how many of the stations are going to be a HD quality. My tv is 55in so if I can only get 1 channel in HD it wont be worth it because regular channels look like crap on my big tv.
Old 3-Feb-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
Spuds

Ya I'm handy so what i'm trying to figure out is how many of the channels will be HD quality? I have a 55 tv and if its not HD the channels looks bad. So how do I figure what they are brodcasting?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 3-Feb-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Electron

Most Digital tv's will display the resolution type and number by pressing a button on the remote. Most network , 'HD' programing takes place at night. Not all Digital programing is HD. Is the tv not working correctly?? Also the tv must be able to receive the Digital Broadcast Tv channels. Sometime called 'Air Channels' . Here are two online tv guides that show what programing is 'HD'. http://www.zap2it.com , http://tv.yahoo.com

Last edited by Electron; 3-Feb-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 4-Feb-2012, 3:38 AM   #11
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Ya I'm handy so what i'm trying to figure out is how many of the channels will be HD quality? I have a 55 tv and if its not HD the channels looks bad. So how do I figure what they are brodcasting?

Thanks for all your help.
I have one quibble with Electron. 480p is called Extended Definition TV (EDTV). He is correct that 480i is Standard Definition TV (SDTV). He is also correct that 16:9 720p and 16:9 1080i are both High Definition TV (HDTV). I am not aware of any broadcaster that transmits 16:9 1080p. If such broadcasts exist, then they are also HDTV.

Most broadcast stations multicast two or more sub channels. The primary sub-channel of most stations is HDTV. It broadcasts in 1080i or 720p and does not change. Most sub-channels transmit 480i. If it does, then it does not change unless the change is permanent. The rules here are not hard and fast. Some broadcast stations have no HDTV primary sub-channel. Others broadcast two nominally HD sub-channels. For example, one of the NBC stations of my childhood added CBS as a sub-channel during the digital sub-channel. Virtual 5.1 is NBC at 1080i. Virtual 5.2 is CBS at 720p.

Now here is where things get complicated. Your TV will tell you if a broadcast is 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. However, just because a broadcast is 720p or 1080i does not mean that programming is high-definition quality. There are a lot of programs and commercials that were videotaped using analog equipment. It is not just vintage footage. A popular practice particularly with live feeds from Los Angeles to the East Coast is to do those at no better than SD quality even while maintaining the 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. If any of that footage is broadcast on a 720p or 1080i sub-channel, then it will not be magically promoted to HD quality even though your TV will indicate 720p or 1080i.

The video quality of programming is determined by the source material. Quality cannot be higher than the source, but it can be lowered by the transmission flow.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2012, 3:18 PM   #12
coco

For example, one of the NBC stations of my childhood added CBS as a sub-channel during the digital sub-channel. Virtual 5.1 is NBC at 1080i. Virtual 5.2 is CBS at 720p

You are talking about KALB out of Alexandria,LA. I can catch them a couple of nights a week.One of the stations ' audio broadcast is much higher than the other. Here is my tv fool report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c8610a10029f
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2012, 7:08 PM   #13
Electron

As Mister Me has indicated , it is not a chiseled in stone answer. To answer your question with a answer that gets closer to the answer , PRIME TIME Programming on the networks such as , NBC , CBS , ABC , FOX , PBS , is most likley ( True HD ). HD digital broadcast programing will be 720P or 1080i. There is currently no 1080P digital broadcast programing. 1080P is on Blue-Ray dvd's.

Last edited by Electron; 5-Feb-2012 at 5:47 PM.
Old 5-Feb-2012, 6:09 AM   #14
Electron

Is your Tv not working correctly?? Or has some one or some ones given you incorrect information?? What is the tv make and model number??
Old 5-Feb-2012, 4:04 PM   #15
Electron

Here is a little more information about digital. The DVD players that "Upconvert" a standard 480P dvd to 1080P do not do so by magic. What happens is circuits in the dvd player 'copy lines' of video and insert the lines of video in between the next line of a 480P dvd 'line' of video. This creates more 'lines' of video however there is No New Information (lines of video) the line of video that is copied is a reflection of the original. Yes the picture looks better and has more lines of video then a standard 480P dvd , however.

Last edited by Electron; 6-Feb-2012 at 3:59 AM.
Old 5-Feb-2012, 5:43 PM   #16
Electron

To HD or not HD

Here is a debate that was happening when digital broadcast tv was new. You can check it out for your self. Can you see the difference in resolution of true , 720P and 1080i at normal viewing distances , as an example 15 feet or so?? And if you can see the difference , is it really that important?? Both produce nice clear pictures. And if you really will like to evaluate the picture resolution you can set up a digital tv or digital converter that is capable of converting and displaying only 720P or 1080i or 1080P. The signal sources will be Blue Ray dvd player and a Blue Ray 1080P dvd.
Old 5-Feb-2012, 6:26 PM   #17
Electron

HD television

And think about this , as target figures of how many years has passed since the introduction and broadcasts of Digital Broadcast Television , how many years has passed , 10 , 15 , 20 , 25 , 30 years ?? If you know or find the answer , it takes that long for the general public to catch up. And buy that time there is so much misinformation spread around that it is true wonder that anything gets done at all. And now here is a truth , Marketing and the General Pubic Promote , now more then ever , the dumbing down of every one. By pandering to , creature comforts , sloth , ego , false self pride and a narrow view of ones self and the world.

Last edited by Electron; 6-Feb-2012 at 4:16 AM.
Old 6-Feb-2012, 5:20 AM   #18
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
For example, one of the NBC stations of my childhood added CBS as a sub-channel during the digital sub-channel. Virtual 5.1 is NBC at 1080i. Virtual 5.2 is CBS at 720p

You are talking about KALB out of Alexandria,LA. I can catch them a couple of nights a week.One of the stations ' audio broadcast is much higher than the other. Here is my tv fool report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c8610a10029f
Are you asking for help to improve the audio of KALB RF35's audio on virtual 5.2? Two issues:
  • You can receive KALB only via tropospheric ducting. Tropospheric ducting is an anomalous atmospheric condition that allows RF signals to travel great distances. This explains why you receive it only on occasion.
  • You do not separately receive the various KALB subchannels. There is nothing that you can do to differentially improve your reception of one subchannel without improving reception of them all.
Tropospheric ducting does not explain why KALB-CBS audio is subpar. The audio is subpar because that's how KALB broadcasts it. This brings up a larger issue that has been well-known since the early days of commercial digital broadcasting. Bandwidth is limited. ATSC, the North American digital broadcast standard, uses the same channels and bandwidth as the NTSC analog broadcast standard. This 6 MHz bandwidth/channel is more than ample for 1080i or 720p HD broadcasts. Enough bandwidth is left over for one or two subchannels. Cable providers squeeze in 27 standard definition digital channels using QAM within this same 6 MHz bandwidth. However, 6 MHz is not adequate bandwidth for more than one broadcast HD subchannel. The only way for KALB to squeeze-in both NBC-HD and CBS-HD is to leave out something. A standard cheat is to compress the bandwidth required for each HD-subchannel. The network sends down multichannel digital audio. Digital audio doesn't require a lot a bandwidth but it does require some. When they are squeezing, that lovely 5.1 audio may be reduced to 2.1 or less.

This is why HD cable does not look as good as HD-OTA. Cable also uses 6 MHz bandwidth per channel. However, cable providers compress at least two HD channels within each 6 MHz channel. The most obvious artifact of this practice is the gross pixellation of fast-moving action.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2012, 2:25 AM   #19
Spuds

I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Your location is very good for Digital Tv Reception. Many Channels Will Be Received. The tv transmissions are from 3 different directions , north east , south and west. One antenna can receive them all. Install a AntennaCraft U8000 with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp , aimed at about 210 degree magnetic compass to receive the tv station/channels to the south and west. And to make the U8000 into a antenna that will receive the tv stations/channels to the north east , remove the reflector rods by drilling out the rivets that hold the metal clips that hold the reflector rods. With the reflector rods removed the U8000's , >< shaped metal receiving elements will receive at the front of the antenna and the back of the antenna. . Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.antennacraft.net , http://www.antennasdirect.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com .
I was wondering if the above antenna is still my best choice?
Old 6-Sep-2012, 2:29 AM   #20
Spuds

Wife is on my BACK

Hey guys thanks for all the help this spring but I did not get a chance to do an antenna. I did drop the dreaded Comcast but now my wife wants something besides netflix and hulu she needs to be able to flick through channels I guess.

But anyway I'm looking to see if the antenna options given before are my best bet or is there something out now that will work better. Also how much can trees effect the reception?